Scanning over network

I picked up Canon PIXMA MP560 all-in-one printer/scanner with built-in wifi over the weekend. I downloaded the drivers from the Canon Asia site and with some tweaking mananged to get printing working through CUPS and scanning working with Canon’s “Scangear” plugin for GIMP, all over the network connection.

I have not, however, been able to get SANE to find the scanner on the network. According to the SANE site, this model should be supported for both USB and network scanning. With SANE 1.0.20 installed, however, YAST does not list the MP560 as one of the supported scanners. I have compiled SANE 1.0.21 from source but with this installed YAST still does not list the scanner and “sane-find-scanner” fails to find it.

The reason I would like SANE to work, other than just wanting things to work, is that it is a bit of a pain to go through GIMP to get a simple document scanned into a file rather than just loading up XSANE.

Is there any experience here with scanning from a network device (not a device connected to another computer on the network) in general, or with this particular printer/scanner specifically?

I’m using 11.2 x86_64.

Does Yast see the scanner device?

No it doesn’t, neither with the packaged version of SANE (1.0.20) nor the compiled version (1.0.21). It not only does not see a scanner but it does not show it in the list of available scanner drivers.

Looks like you have to configure it by hand in Yast.

Never mind, I got it to work. It turns out that SANE compiles as 32-bit unless certain options are set. After I compiled it for 64-bit it works. YAST does not see it (it complains “SANE-backends not installed”) but “scanimage -L” finds the scanner and XSane now sees it.