Samba set up : nmb is not starting

Hi :wink:

hi, i’m trying to set up samba but i can’t start the nmb service in yast, neither from konsole .
Do you know what can stop this service ?
How can i start it ?

rcnmb status

Checking for Samba NMB daemon unused
linux-hrm6:~ # rcnmb start
Starting Samba NMB daemon startproc: exit status of parent of /usr/sbin/nmbd: 1
failed

** edit** :
thanks to the irc chan i saw there’s a bug in app armor so # rcapparmor stop is needed before starting nmb :slight_smile: ( # rcnmb start )

Message #8 here mentions a fix:

Samba broken after update to 11.4 (64-bits)

I might also add that I have found that upgrading the kernel to 2.6.38 or 39 also works without any other modifications.

Thank You,

IMO better to do this (below), keeping AppArmor mostly enabled, except for Samba. You use the GUI with this workaround:

Yast -> Novell AppArmor -> AppArmor Control Panel,

Click on Set profile modes (Configure) button,

Highlight the entries ‘usr.sbin.nmbd’ and ‘usr.sbin.smbd’ in turn and, for each, click the Toggle Mode button to set the mode from ‘enforce’ to ‘complain’.

Click Done, OK etc etc.

hello :wink:
what does it mean complain instead of enforce in app armor ?

I had nmb and smb activated , but after reboot they are not anymore.
How do i activate them at each boot ?

Complain mode does not block anything but writes to log about operations that violate the profile. When enforce mode is on every attempt that was logged using complain mode would be blocked by AppArmor.

Best regards,
Greg

ok, about app armor modes.

Then after a reboot i have rcnmb still running but rcsmb is not anymore .

How can i set up so that both are still running ?

goto –> Yast –> system –> runlevels –> find nmb and smb (one at a time) and make sure they are both toggled to “on”

i did and it’s on for both, but after reboot i now have :

rcnmb status

Checking for Samba NMB daemon running
linux-hrm6:~ # rcsmb status
Checking for Samba SMB daemon unused

It looks very much as if, when you went into Yast / AppArmor, you did not correctly toggle and save the setting of usr.sbin.smbd to be “complain”. (and the other one nmbd I suppose, to be thorough, although smbd is the one that’s important)

Right, i had thicked ntpd it seems, so i set it back to enforce and then smb and ntp to complain + on in runlevels.
Now after reboot both stay in running state.
How come app armor is now needed when it was not before ?

Now i have other questions :

• i can use konqueror but dolphin crashes and can’t acces to the seven pc next by (when konqueror is able to). How come ? (just retried and now dolphin finally asks for id/pwd which gives and ok result and access to 7 ).

• Also 7 sees my fujitsu suse machine but can’t access it , how come ?

Some people who have little regard for security say that it’s non needed. Turning it off completely will not break anything, but of course your security will be reduced.

Now i have other questions :

• i can use konqueror but dolphin crashes and can’t acces to the seven pc next by (when konqueror is able to). How come ? (just retried and now dolphin finally asks for id/pwd which gives and ok result and access to 7 ).

Is it fixed now, working OK?

• Also 7 sees my fujitsu suse machine but can’t access it , how come ?

What do you see when you look in the network browser window in win7?
And what exactly happens when you try to access it, what do you mean “access it”?

app armor : what i don’t get is why before activating nmb and smb directly in yast runlevels was enough and now it’s not anymore .

dolphin looks ok now, i have access to os x and 7. Is accessing both at the same time ok or shall i rather access them one by one ?

for 7 : i see a fujitsu machine (suse) but clicking on it gives nothing, blank screen : not even asking for ID and password ; or an error msg : says something is impeding it. using the ip : \192.168.0.x is not better, shall i add the share ? \192.168.0.x\homes maybe ? (i only shared homes)

in suse i see this :

rcnmb status

Checking for Samba NMB daemon running
linux-hrm6:~ # rcsmb status
Checking for Samba SMB daemon running

nmblookup fujitsu

querying fujitsu on 192.168.0.y
192.168.0.x fujitsu<00>
linux-hrm6:~ # nmbstatus fujitsu
Found 1 hosts. Collecting additional information. Please wait.
WORKGROUP WORKGROUP
LMB FUJITSU
MEMBERS FUJITSU

nmblookup portable ( *portable is the 7 machine ) *

querying portable on 192.168.0.y
192.168.0.z portable<00>
linux-hrm6:~ # nmbstatus portable
Found 1 hosts. Collecting additional information. Please wait.
WORKGROUP WORKGROUP
LMB FUJITSU
MEMBERS FUJITSU

cat /var/log/samba/log.smbd :

[2011/06/03 22:40:13.231474, 1] smbd/server.c:282(remove_child_pid)
Could not find child 16040 – ignoring
[2011/06/03 22:41:27.826743, 0] lib/util_sock.c:474(read_fd_with_timeout)
[2011/06/03 22:41:27.826878, 0] lib/util_sock.c:1441(get_peer_addr_internal)
getpeername failed. Error was Noeud final de transport n’est pas connecté
read_fd_with_timeout: client 0.0.0.0 read error = Connexion ré-initialisée par le correspondant.
[2011/06/03 22:41:39.827233, 0] lib/util_sock.c:474(read_fd_with_timeout)
[2011/06/03 22:41:39.827385, 0] lib/util_sock.c:1441(get_peer_addr_internal)
getpeername failed. Error was Noeud final de transport n’est pas connecté
read_fd_with_timeout: client 0.0.0.0 read error = Connexion ré-initialisée par le correspondant.

app armor : what i don’t get is why before activating nmb and smb directly in yast runlevels was enough and now it’s not anymore .
It’s not intentional, an accident caused by a bug. It will go away in time, when they fix it.

Is accessing both at the same time ok or shall i rather access them one by one ?

Both at same time is OK

Regarding win7:
If you shared homes, it will be invisible, it is designed to be invisible. Suppose your openSUSE username is “brentwittle” and you see in win7 network browser the icon “suse”, try this in windows 7 network browser, type in address bar:

\\suse\brentwittle

What happens?

So far, the best explanation I’ve found for setting up samba for Windows networks is
http://www.tweakhound.com/2011/11/21/3500/
That was written for openSuSE 12.1 but still seem relevant. Contains MUCH more detail helpful to first-timers (like me, I’ve run only Linux for 10 years and need some help with Windows configurations). Even the official SuSE manuals (books) are pathetically short on detail. For example, the only method for setting up shares from a Windows computer explained in the manual is for FTP–nothing about Windows networking.
As a tech writer for almost 50 years I feel I can say with some authority that the documentation could be better. I’m collecting info for samba and VNC with the goal of assembling a more useful document. Pointers and suggestions welcomed.