SAMBA Not Sharing Folders

I am Running OpenSUSE 11.0 with all updates up to present. The implementation is GNOME with KDE4 as an option. I’ve set up a SAMBA server to share out three folders within my home directory: music, videos, photos (this is a home theater PC).

When I configure the shares through Nautilus, all appears well. But, when I view the files through Konquerer, and try to configure them, I get this error:

"Error running ‘filesharelist.’ Check if installed and in $PATH or /usr/sbin"

If need be, I can get rid of KDE 4, as I’m not “married to it.” In fact, I likely will. I’m not sure if the co-existence of KDE4 with GNOME is messing things up (with Samba and with other things) or if something else is going on.

When I looked at the samba configuration file, it said that shares were disabled by YAST. My Samba is set up as the WORKGROUP workgroup and the server is set up as “not a domain controller.” The netbios name I gave the machine is “media1.” The machine gets its IP address via DHCP from my wireless router.

Thank you.

Sorry…I should have posted the conf file and share files. Here they are:

smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented

version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE if the

samba-doc package is installed.

Date: 2008-06-06

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
printing = cups
printcap name = cups
printcap cache time = 750
cups options = raw
map to guest = Bad User
include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
logon path = \%L\profiles.msprofile
logon home = \%L%U.9xprofile
logon drive = P:
usershare allow guests = Yes
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
domain logons = No
domain master = No
security = user
netbios name = media1
usershare max shares = 100
name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
server string = “”
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S, %D%w%S
browseable = No
read only = No
inherit acls = Yes
[profiles]
comment = Network Profiles Service
path = %H
read only = No
store dos attributes = Yes
create mask = 0600
directory mask = 0700
[users]
comment = All users
path = /home
read only = No
inherit acls = Yes
veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
[groups]
comment = All groups
path = /home/groups
read only = No
inherit acls = Yes
[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/tmp
printable = Yes
create mask = 0600
browseable = No
[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
write list = @ntadmin root
force group = ntadmin
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0775

Share disabled by YaST

[netlogon]

comment = Network Logon Service

path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon

write list = root

[music]
comment = HTPC Music Directory
inherit acls = Yes
path = /home/devitor/music/
read only = No

[photos]
comment = HTPC Photo Directory
inherit acls = Yes
path = /home/devitor/photos/
read only = No

[videos]
comment = HTPC Video Directory
inherit acls = Yes
path = /home/devitor/videos/
read only = No

And…here are the individual user share file contents:

#VERSION 2
path=/home/devitor/music
comment=
usershare_acl=S-1-1-0:F
guest_ok=y

#VERSION 2
path=/home/devitor/photos
comment=
guest_ok=y

#VERSION 2
path=/home/devitor/videos
comment=
guest_ok=y

There’s an executable program called filesharelist that lives at /usr/bin/filesharelist. Check it’s there.

Share disabled by Yast is OK because in Yast there’s a button that you can click to toggle a share on or off → you can see the result for netlogon. It should be toggled off, as it is, because it’s associated with domain logons – and you haven’t got a domain server running. So it’s OK.

Also: you’ve created the media shares as two separate, distinct and independent forms; namely “usershares” and “classical shares”. Usershares arrived in openSuse 10.2 and are often made in Nautilus with a right-click etc. That produces definition files like the ones you displayed under “And…here are the individual user share file contents”. Classical shares are made in a different way, e.g. by editing definition paragraphs into the file smb.conf. You’ve actually or effectively done that as shown in the file smb.conf that you posted.

The two types are alternatives. So I suggest you turn off one or the other. You can turn off the usershares with a r-click in Nautilus. OR (but don’t do both) You can turn off the classical sghares with a r-click in Yast → network services → Samba server → Highlight the share and click to “Toggle Status”

Good morning,

I shut off the sharing within YAST and left it on at the folder level (user level).

I checked the directories and filesharelist is NOT there.

OK add these lines to [global] in smb.conf:

usershare allow guests = yes
usershare owner only = False
usershare path = /var/lib/samba/usershares

Tip: making and sharing folders on the Desktop doesn’t work properly for Usershares.
Tip: windows users might have trouble connecting unless they know the credentials of a user on Suse attached into the samba user database (but may be ok now because you have allowed guests now in [global])

Regarding filesharelist – if error goes away, forget it. Has it gone away?

I rebuilt the machine first to GNOME alone, then re-formatted and went with KDE 3.5. Samba appears to work on KDE 3.5, (i.e. I’m not seeing errors), but my XP box does not see anything. I’m sharing out via Konquerer.

The filesharelist file was not installed in the prior implementation. In my GNOME-only setup, it said KDE components were missing (after a complete reformat). I had other issues, so I re-re-formatted to this implementation.

I’ll pick this back up tomorrow.

I guess there’s more than two ways to skin an orange.

Good luck

Long story short, I first built the machine with GNOME as the primary system and KDE4 as an alternate, but there were too many problems with both systems being there with elements accessible to one aother…which was why I had Samba shares set up in YAST, Nautilus and Konquerer starting out. My goal was to simplify. There were other things going on aside from Samba which impelled me to move with a rebuild.

When I rebuilt to GNOME only on a complete HDD re-format, Samba gave an error message that there were KDE dependencies not being satisfied and that there were orphaned KDE files. The GNOME setup for some reason took very long to respond to my mouse clicks. I didn’t bother troubleshooting. I rebuilt again to KDE 3.5.

Back to Samba, I shut off the sharing from Konquerer and turned it back on via YAST. I set the folder permissions so anyone can view and modify. I still don’t see the folders off my XP box. Filesharelist is now installed by virtue of KDE 3.5. I still don’t see error messages like last night, but I don’t see the shares either.

Here is the smb.conf file as it is now:

smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented

version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE if the

samba-doc package is installed.

Date: 2008-06-06

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
printing = cups
printcap name = cups
cups options = raw
map to guest = Bad User
include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
logon path = \%L\profiles.msprofile
logon home = \%L%U.9xprofile
logon drive = P:
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
domain logons = No
domain master = No
netbios name = MEDIA1
security = user
passdb backend = smbpasswd

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S, %D%w%S
browseable = No
read only = No
inherit acls = Yes

[users]
comment = All users
path = /home
read only = No
inherit acls = Yes
veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/

[groups]
comment = All groups
path = /home/groups
read only = No
inherit acls = Yes

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/tmp
printable = Yes
create mask = 0600
browseable = No

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
write list = @ntadmin root
force group = ntadmin
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0775

[music]
comment = music files
inherit acls = Yes
read only = No

[photos]
comment = Photos Directory
inherit acls = Yes
read only = No

[videos]
comment = Video Directory
inherit acls = Yes
read only = No

I did not hand-tweak any settings this time. There is nothing I can see in here that is untoward. What I did notice though is that the samba server is set to poll for a WINS server by DHCP. I don’t have a WINS server on my network.

If the wins server thing is still on, turn it off. A wins server is for large and complex networks – not SOHO networks.

I suggest you change a few things in [global] to allow the windows boxes clearer vision of Suse box. And slightly alter the shares.
First of all make a backup of smb.conf before you change it.

Then open the text file smb.conf located at /etc/samba/smb.conf in a superuser editor with this command in a console (assuming now KDE):

kdesu kwrite /etc/samba/smb.conf

and copy/paste the following corrected text over the old text:

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = MEDIA1
name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
server string = “”
printing = cups
printcap name = cups
cups options = raw
use client driver = yes
map to guest = Bad User
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 65
usershare owner only = False

[music]
comment = music files
force user = devitor
read only = No

[photos]
comment = Photos Directory
force user = devitor
read only = No

[videos]
comment = Video Directory
force user = devitor
read only = No

I have this concern – the shares as structured will require the windows users to supply a username and a password. You will have to add a Samba user to the Samba user database on this Linux server and tell the clients the credentials. Did you mean to set it up that way?

Alternatively, for guest access, add this line into the paragraphs for each of the three media shares:

guest ok = yes

Reboot Suse, then windows, then Suse, then windows. That booting forces a great deal of “getting to know you” around a network.

Swerdna

Swerdna,

I removed the reference to WINS (I agree with you re: WINS…if I was running a Windows Server-based network, I’d have WINS setup there).

I replaced my smb.conf with yours. I added the guest access. I don’t want the XP box to be bothered with user names and passwords.

I took the reboots. Still nothing.

Now…I checked the XP box to make sure my firewall wasn’t blocking anything.

I can ping the machine on the wired network by IP address (wireless is a lost cause at this point…I thought I had that working, but it only lasted a day, then stopped – see my wireless thread for the whole story).

That’s about it for now. I won’t touch the SUSE box again until I hear back from you (Aside from the wireless and Samba, it otherwise works and I don’t want to mess up a good thing).

Hmmm…
What do you get when you enter these commands (which examine the firewall) in a console:

• cat /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 | grep FW_DEV_EXT=
  • cat /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 | grep FW_SERVICES_EXT_TCP=
  • cat /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 | grep FW_SERVICES_EXT_UDP=
  • cat /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 | grep FW_ALLOW_FW_BROADCAST_EXT=
  • cat /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 | grep FW_TRUSTED_NETS=

I suggest you use copy/paste to get these into a console without typos

PS are you using vista or xp?

Swerdna,

Here are the outputs…I didn’t do the best job formatting…but they’re here…I’m running XP 32-bit.

* cat /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 | grep FW_DEV_EXT=

FW_DEV_EXT=“any eth0 wlan0”

* cat /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 | grep FW_SERVICES_EXT_TCP=

FW_SERVICES_EXT_TCP=“microsoft-ds netbios-ssn”

* cat /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 | grep FW_SERVICES_EXT_UDP=

FW_SERVICES_EXT_UDP=“netbios-dgm netbios-ns”

FW_SERVICES_EXT_UDP=“isakmp”

* cat /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 | grep FW_ALLOW_FW_BROADCAST_EXT=

FW_ALLOW_FW_BROADCAST_EXT=“netbios-ns netbios-dgm”

* cat /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 | grep FW_TRUSTED_NETS=

FW_TRUSTED_NETS=""

Nice penetration. OK Yast firewall manipulator finally works – very nice.

Now I’m puzzled.

I notice two interfaces etho & wlan0. Check that both the network interfaces aren’t on the same subnet simultaneously. But that’s probably not an issue, just a passing thought.You can check that with this console command:

sudo /sbin/ifconfig

Are you using vista or xp? and if vista did you adjust it from the networking defaults at all? Oh look, cut a long story short – diagnosis: answer that question this way → if using vista turn off Suse firewall and see if you can get to Suse and report back.

My Windows box runs XP 32-bit. I wouldn’t go within 1000 miles of Vista: 40% slower than XP, which is itself quite slow. I also have an Averatec 3200 laptop that I run PCLinuxOS 2007 on, and an ancient Deskpro running TinyMe with a PCI wireless NIC. My old crashed computer has been resurrected and is a lab machine, which runs whatever distro I happen to be in the mood to play with at the moment. And my home theater machine runs SUSE 11 with the Samba server we’re trying to fix.

I ran the command you specified and I’ll post the output. Eth0 is my wired card; and wlan0 is my wireless card (which is currently not working [See my post re the Alfa card in the wireless sub-forum for all the history]). Both are on the same subnet.

Here’s the output…

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1F:C6:78:EC:6F
inet addr:192.168.1.2 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:10862 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:8261 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:12550721 (11.9 Mb) TX bytes:967979 (945.2 Kb)
Interrupt:220 Base address:0xa000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:208 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:208 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:15188 (14.8 Kb) TX bytes:15188 (14.8 Kb)

OK – no vista – so that’s not the issue.

Just run your eye over smb.conf again. Going into Yast Samba Server can change it onknown to you – it’s a dangerous area. Look at it with:

kwrite /etc/samba/smb.conf

If you aren’t root you can’t hurt it. Check for correctness in name resolve order, netbios name, local master, preferred master, os level
But I don’t expect that’s the problem.

Check the daemons are running:

sudo /usr/sbin/rcsmb status
sudo /usr/sbin/rcnmb status

Should return “running”

Can you see the server from the server using this address in Konqueror:

smb:/

and drilling down?

Swerdna,

I checked the smb.conf and that file is OK.

I ran both sudo commands and the daemons are running.

When I go into Konquerer, and type, “smb:/” it shows a workgroup folder (for my workgroup). Now…when I open the workgroup folder, it has no files and no folders. Shouldn’t my shares be there? My XP box is off now…I’m going to run upstairs and turn it on, so I don’t expect to see it as a workgroup neighbor, but should it not be there once it’s on?

Yes it should and so your name resolution is somehow wonky in terms of what your Samba server is broadcasting. I wonder if it’s also broken in terms of your Samba client.

[Turn your firewall off until this is fixed, just so it doesn’t have to be even remotely thought about.]

Let’s see if your Samba client is working: can you see the windows shares from Suse?

Swerdna,

I set up a test share on XP. SUSE does not see it. My SUSE hostname is a factory-assigned one. I’m going to change it to match to the netbios name. I just shut the firewall off too. I do see the SUSE shares in Konquerer.

devitor1 wrote:

>
> Swerdna,
>
> I set up a test share on XP. SUSE does not see it. My SUSE hostname is
> a factory-assigned one. I’m going to change it to match to the netbios
> name. I just shut the firewall off too. I do see the SUSE shares in
> Konquerer.
>
>
Devitor;
One more thing to try:

From a command shell in windows, enter the command
net view \[IPofServer]
Do you see the shares?
Now try
net view \[ServerName]
Do you see the shares?

P. V.

P.V.

When I net view by IP address, I see the shares. When I do it by name, it returns an error.

What I just did before I came back to this machine is set a static lease in my router for the SUSE box. That is, it will always get the same IP and hostname, unless I change the wired NIC.

Now…there might also be some weirdness with the domain name. I need to check the router and make sure it says “localdomain.” I set that in SUSE, but it has a habit of changing back to “home” or “site.”