SAMBA: Can mount windows shares, but they are read-only

Hey everyone!

I’m new to OpenSUSE! I’ve tested out a few distros and I really like this one. I am having one issue that I am really hoping I can get some help with.

I am using the mount command to mount Windows shared folders are another machine on my LAN, to have them show up in the Linux filesystem.

The command mounts the folders just fine, however the access is read-only. In the command, I am also using the -o option to specify a username and password that should have full access.

Also, I have used this identical command on my other distros and it seems to work fine. I’ve Googled high and low, trying to find a way to specify a Samba user/password for authentication. I know one of the other distros had a program that I could specify a Samba user/password to simulate a Windows login. I’ve also installed pam_smb, a suggestion I found on a thread that I found.

Anyway, I have tried many things, and Googled my brains out. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

On Fri April 2 2010 12:06 am, travlemon wrote:

>
> Hey everyone!
>
> I’m new to OpenSUSE! I’ve tested out a few distros and I really like
> this one. I am having one issue that I am really hoping I can get some
> help with.
>
> I am using the mount command to mount Windows shared folders are
> another machine on my LAN, to have them show up in the Linux
> filesystem.
>
> The command mounts the folders just fine, however the access is
> read-only. In the command, I am also using the -o option to specify a
> username and password that should have full access.
>
> Also, I have used this identical command on my other distros and it
> seems to work fine. I’ve Googled high and low, trying to find a way to
> specify a Samba user/password for authentication. I know one of the
> other distros had a program that I could specify a Samba user/password
> to simulate a Windows login. I’ve also installed pam_smb, a suggestion I
> found on a thread that I found.
>
> Anyway, I have tried many things, and Googled my brains out. Any help
> would be MUCH appreciated!
>
travlemon;

Have you specified the uid, gid for the Linux owner and group
This HowTo may help you sort it all out:
http://opensuse.swerdna.org/susesambacifs.html

P. V.
“We’re all in this together, I’m pulling for you.” Red Green

Thanks for your response!

I’ve shed some light on the issue, I think. I don’t quite understand the tutorial much. I tried a few things with fstab and I wasn’t able to make it work.

HOWEVER, I signed in as root and ran the command to mount the share, and I had full access this way.

Is it possible that because I’m using SUDO, it’s mounting it as Root? And therefore, only Root gets to access the shares with proper authentication? If this is the case, I’m unable to run the command without using sudo or su at all.

Let me know if I am pointing myself in the wrong direction. :frowning:

Well I’d like to say I got the situation resolved. I was so busy focusing on the fstab issue that I forgot to give the command a test run from the terminal, and include the UID and GID options.

I ran it using the UID and GID options and it worked fine for me, I had access to the Windows shared via the user/password credentials I had specified in the mount command. I still never got fstab to automatically mount it at my user login. So instead, I created a script to do it in my .kde4/Autostart folder and it works fine.

Thank you for your help and the response!

Can you show us the script. It would be interesting for me and other suers.

I’d like to thank everyone who commented on this thread. My problem was slightly different, but had the same solution! You all helped to solve something that was frustrating the h*ll out of me! -So thanks!:wink:

Smb4k makes my life a lot easier for temporary Windows XP shares.

Our network includes one old laptop running Windows 98SE. Smb4k detects it, but could not mount its shares. Swerdna’s useful how-to at
Samba: HowTo Mount a CIFS Network Share [AKA Map Network Drive] in openSUSE 11 plus FAQs mentions extra options needed in the mount command for legacy systems. What works for me in a command line is:

mount -t cifs -o sec=lanman,servern=TP600E,guest //192.168.1.106/TP600E_7GB /data/TP600E

where TP600E is the network name of the Win98SE laptop, 192.168.1.106 is its address, and TP600E_7GB is the name of the partition to be mounted at the Linux machine’s directory /data/TP600E.

Everything seems to work like I need it.
Best regards,
Howard

Here I am back again.

I did not want to open new thread so I will join this one. I can see windows shared folders in file manager but I cannot access them. When I click to open I got error saying that folder cannot be mounted or something. When I close that error another pops out. I can only mount them manually using cifs but permanent mount fails. I have no problems accessing Linux shares on Windows box. I have followed few tutorials by swerdna but still without luck.

Sorry for bumping, just wanted to add what error when I try to open the Windows network,
“Unable to mount location. Failed to retrieve share list from server”.