S.L.R.C. - SuSE Local Repository Creator - Version 1.25 - Now for Packman & openSUSE 12.2 & 12.3

The script has been specifically configured to create the four basic Packman repositories for openSUSE 12.2 & 12.1 as well as for the 5 basic openSUSE 12.2 & 12.1 repositories, but it could be modified for use with other openSUSE repositories.

Please keep in mind just how large some of these repositories could be and just how long it might take you to download everything that might be online. None the less, it might be used to download all of Packman, when you have access for use later while you are offline. Version 1.20 now includes four repository groups. S.L.R.C. works with openSUSE 12.2! After a repository update, you get instructions on how to use the local repository you have created:

SuSE Local Repository Creator has been enhanced to create a KDE Desktop and Application menu icon for you when first run. Settings to disable or enable this feature now exist at the top of this bash script. Copy and Paste the text of this script into a text editor and save it as the file slrc in your home area bin folder (~/bin/slrc). The script has become too large to be posted in a message here and is now included in SUSE Paste.

S.L.R.C. - SuSE Local Repository Creator - Version 1.25 - Now for Packman & openSUSE 12.2 & 12.3

Open the above Link in a new Tab. Select the Download option in the top right and then select Open With Kwrite or other text editor and then save the bash script text file as ~/bin/slrc. It is possible to directly download slrc using the following terminal command (You must delete or rename the old version first):

rm ~/bin/slrc
wget -nc http://paste.opensuse.org/view/download/89529032 -O ~/bin/slrc

Save this bash script as the text file slrc in the folder ~/bin (/home/username/bin). This script must be marked executable to be used. Please run the following Terminal command:

chmod +x ~/bin/slrc

It is even possible to string all three of these commands together as one. Copy the following command, open up a terminal session, paste it in and press enter:

rm ~/bin/slrc ; wget -nc http://paste.opensuse.org/view/download/89529032 -O ~/bin/slrc ; chmod +x ~/bin/slrc

To use slrc, just open a terminal session and type in the command:

slrc

This bash script uses both local and online folder names. Do not add a trailing slash / as it will always be added in for you if required. Did you know that you can write the repositories to a DVD for use later while offline? The present Packman repositories might still fit totally on a 4.7 GB DVD. If you have a version of openSUSE about to go out of support? I suggest you get the Packman repositories before it is too late and save to a DVD.

If you have any questions about the usage of this bash script, please let me know,

Thank You,

Blogs: asroot : Bash : Packet Filter : C.F.U. : GPU’s : fewrup : F.S.M. : H.I. : nVIDIA : LNVHW : N.S.F. : S.A.K.C. : MMCHECK
S.A.S.I. : S.C.L.U. : S.G.T.B. : S.K.I.M. : S.L.A.V.E. : S.L.R.C. : S.T.A.R.T. : S.U.F.F. : SYSEdit : systemd : YaST Power

whats the difference to download the repository via ftp and than use zypper add /root/repo/main/oss main.oss for example.

So, l1zard, I have not tried using the ftp method, but rsync (used by slrc) will only download updated programs and the resulting folder can be added to YaST Software Repositories with no further modifications. Since Packman is primarily what is required to use multimedia, a person could download all 6.5 Gigabytes from Packman, copy it to a Dual Layer DVD and update openSUSE offline with no internet access. Now I just checked the size of the openSUSE update folder, and it stands at 12 plus gigabytes and somewhat harder to handle but a couple more DL DVD’s and 12 plus gigabyte of disk space could allow you to add that in as a local repository. In the end, having fast internet access is best, but perhaps you don’t have it. Further, using a local network, perhaps you want your own local repository server too, using scripts like slrc, you can setup your own repositories, to run when ever you want. Personally, I like the idea of a local Packman repository, but probably will not try to duplicate it all at my house due to its size.

Thank You,

S.L.R.C. - SuSE Local Repository Creator has been updated and includes Packman 11.4 & 12.1 repositories and now includes openSUSE 11.4 & 12.1 repositories as well. You never know when you might need a way to upgrade your setup offline. Grab these while you can, before it is too late.

Thank You,

S.L.R.C. - SuSE Local Repository Creator has been updated to Version 1.22 with the inclusion of the new openSUSE 12.2 repositories. Other minor fixes have also been made.

Thank You,

S.L.R.C. - SuSE Local Repository Creator - Version 1.23 has been enhanced to create a KDE Desktop and menu Application icon for you when first run. New bash script options at the top of the script allow for these to be enabled or disabled as you wish. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments on the usage of S.L.R.C.

Thank You,

Can we add repository of http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Education/openSUSE_12.2/
for education purposes. thank you.

the primary need is the latest GNS3.

Thank You.

I upgraded S.L.R.C. to version 1.24 and added the following code:

mirror_name[5]="openSUSE_Education_12.2"

if  $Repo_Name -eq 5 ] ; then
    mirror=anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk
    num_repos=1
    repository[1]=opensuse-distribution/repositories/Education/openSUSE_12.2
    repo_folder[1]="Education"
  fi

I think this will add the 3+ GB Education Repository as requested.

Thank You,

**S.L.R.C. - SuSE Local Repository Creator has been upgraded to Version 1.25 for Packman & openSUSE 12.2 & the new openSUSE 12.3

Thank You,

Thanks for the update.:slight_smile:

Hi,
your script it’s awasome but why did you remove support for openSUSE 12.1? I’m in the need of doing a local repository for this distro to easy my work. :wink:

I read you code and it would be easy to add 12.1 back again.

[QUOTE=stefanocanepa;bt708]Hi,
your script it’s awasome but why did you remove support for openSUSE 12.1? I’m in the need of doing a local repository for this distro to easy my work. :wink:

I read you code and it would be easy to add 12.1 back again.[/QUOTE]

So first, as you can see, it would be easy to modify the coding to add back in openSUSE 12.1, since you can change the 12.2 to 12.1 for instance, or just allow more menu selections by making a copy of the existing entries, adding it to the code and modify the menu number that sets how many options you have. Basically I am trying to support the two top openSUSE releases while promoting our users to modify the posted code as they require, thus learning how it works, for their own purposes. As the author of the bash script, this is what I am promoting. Also, thanks so much for your very kind words about the bash script.

Thank You for using openSUSE,

I’ve been having a really sticky problem with my just-upgraded-from-12.1-to-12.2-with-downloaded-DVD system not being able to get to some of the standard repo’s (including the update ones) and thereby can’t get zypper or YaST to do any updates. Do you think I might be able to use a script like this to download the repo’s I need to my local machine and run them from there? (Although I am also having a problem with my gpg2 erroring out and saying that my libgcrypt is too old, so could that possibly keep this from working too?) Thanks for your comments! Signed “have some experience with openSuSE but not quite enough yet to figure this out” :slight_smile:

I think, that if you have not already done so, you need to post a problem report in the forum and ask for help with this issue. Using this script would not change the problem as you have related it to me. I don’t think having a local repository fixes any openSUSE issue with installing a file using zypper or YaST.

Thank You,

Hi, it’s possible to have an updated version of the script? I’ll try to update it for myself, if I’m succesful I can share it…