Running the hplip command in terminal

I have downloaded the hplip command on the desktop, attempted to cd desktop, and it shows “no such directory”. Can I get some help on running this command so I can set up my printer?
And I can’t seem to put the screenshot here…
Thank you for your help.

ok it is Desktop not desktop. Linux is case sensitive.

thank you very much for the help. Sorry to get back so late, but almost done with the install. But how soes one “log out and back in” to complete the installation?
Thank you

I have downloaded the hplip command on the desktop, attempted to cd desktop, and it shows “no such directory”. Can I get some help on running this command so I can set up my printer?
And I can’t seem to put the screenshot here…
Thank you for your help.
The hplip is a standard package installed by default for you and is designed to allow you to connect and print to hp printers. I was request that you tell us:

1. openSUSE version 11.?, is it 32 or 64 bit?
  2. Desktop version that you loaded: KDE 4.? or Gnome
  3. Tell us about your Printer: HP model
  4. Tell us how it is connected to your computer: USB or on the Network or even LPT
  5. Tell us something about your computer Brand and Model, memory and disk space.

When the HP program is installed, your normally run the KDE menu Run Command:

kdesu /usr/bin/hp-setup

This will start the hp setup program, but what you do then depends on the type of printer connection that you are using.

Thank You,

Hi!
It is open SUSE11.2 32 bit. It is Gnome, printer model b-209am, an the printer is connected by USB. Computer is a Dell, Optiplex 320 2 GIGs memory, and the space left is 193 gigs…
The command I ran was the hplip command from the Desktop, and things were almost done, and want to “sign out and sign in” and really don’t know where to do this so I can become a member of the lp group to enable printing…
I have been using Linux since March when my computer was hit with something, lost everything, and the drive shrank to 10 megs and two empty files. WHEE1

Thank you

Hi!
It is open SUSE11.2 32 bit. It is Gnome, printer model b-209am, an the printer is connected by USB. Computer is a Dell, Optiplex 320 2 GIGs memory, and the space left is 193 gigs…
The command I ran was the hplip command from the Desktop, and things were almost done, and want to “sign out and sign in” and really don’t know where to do this so I can become a member of the lp group to enable printing…
I have been using Linux since March when my computer was hit with something, lost everything, and the drive shrank to 10 megs and two empty files. WHEE1

Thank you
Haoleboy, I don’t use gnome myself, but when I press the Computer menu button on the bottom left, I see a system option on the top right that is titled Logout. Don’t you see that option? Since you started running gnome, you have never logged out or restarted gnome?

To run the hp-setup program in gnome, press the Computer button for your menu, Press the More Applications button and search down the list till you find the** System **category and run the **Gnome Terminal. **In the terminal window type gnomesu hp-setup and the hplip setup program will run, where you can select and install your printer driver.

Thank You,

FWIW,
When I installed 11.3, hplip was installed automatically in a default installion and is accessible in KDE through

start menu > System > Monitoring > HP Toolbox

Launching in Gnome is likely slightly but probably not too different since OpenSuSE freely supports dual Gnome and KDE apps running in either Desktop(In my experience).

No setup or configuration should generally be necessary, particularly for USB (Direct Connection) printers, the OpenSuSE auto detection (udev) should automatically recognize, configure and connect to any printers it can detect (direct, network, wireless, whatever).

Since auto detection <should> work and if it works as expected, then for printers you should also optionally access your printer through the CUPS application (more generalized printer management). Specific printer management like maintenance and special operations and configurations may still have to be done through the HP Tools applet.

So, I would imagine if you had problems before installing and configuring hplip, you should probably try re-installing from the SuSE repository using either zypper or YAST before anything else, then launch immediately without further configuration from your Desktop GUI.

What threw me when I first saw this post is your attempt to run hplip from the CLI. Maybe it’s possible, but it’s not usual and I imagine could be confusing at first. Use the GUI instead.

HTH,
Tony

Thank you very much for your replies. I now have everything running smoothly. Works just fine.

Thank you again.

Thank you very much for your replies. I now have everything running smoothly. Works just fine.

Thank you again.
Happy to help and it is good to hear you got your printer working. Also, as a relative new user, welcome to the openSUSE forums Haoleboy.

Thank You,

tsu2 wrote:

>
> FWIW,
> When I installed 11.3, hplip was installed automatically in a default
> installion and is accessible in KDE through
>
> start menu > System > Monitoring > HP Toolbox
>
> Launching in Gnome is likely slightly but probably not too different
> since OpenSuSE freely supports dual Gnome and KDE apps running in either
> Desktop(In my experience).
>
> No setup or configuration should generally be necessary, particularly
> for USB (Direct Connection) printers, the OpenSuSE auto detection (udev)
> should automatically recognize, configure and connect to any printers it
> can detect (direct, network, wireless, whatever).
>
> Since auto detection <should> work and if it works as expected, then
> for printers you should also optionally access your printer through the
> CUPS application (more generalized printer management). Specific printer
> management like maintenance and special operations and configurations
> may still have to be done through the HP Tools applet.
>
> So, I would imagine if you had problems before installing and
> configuring hplip, you should probably try re-installing from the SuSE
> repository using either zypper or YAST before anything else, then launch
> immediately without further configuration from your Desktop GUI.
>
> What threw me when I first saw this post is your attempt to run hplip
> from the CLI. Maybe it’s possible, but it’s not usual and I imagine
> could be confusing at first. Use the GUI instead.

My secretary has found one gotcha with hplip which causes me ocassional
problems. She is doing SOMETHING - haven’t figured out what yet - that
causes the hp monitor to crash on load. She gets a message about “no all-
in-one device found” and everything goes away. The quick and dirty cure is
to delete the ~/.hplip folder after which everything is back to normal. I
can’t duplicate the problem but she gets it every so often.

Will Honea

I would probably advise start by configuring something else as the default printer. My guess is that the “all in one printer” is only occasionally connected, and some application that depends on that printer is being invoked. Changing the default printer <may> help (something like a scanning app probably will still complain).

Wild Guesses,
Tony

Or you could try

• to use an/other newer version of the hplip package.
  • to use
hp-check -r

For details you may take a look at
SDB:How to set-up a HP printer - openSUSE

By the way:
“hplip” is the name of the package and the abbreviation of the software project:
HP Linux** I**maging and Printing System.
I do not know any command called “hplip” for a terminal (text user interface).
Nether does this page know of such a command:
HP Linux Imaging and Printing

Regards
pistazienfresser