Run Windows inside SUSE

Okay, I searched for a while, Googled it, searched around here, couldn’t find anything. Hopefully I’ve got the right section of the Forums, this seemed the closest.

Anyway, I’ve got a computer with a single 80 GB Hard Drive with Windows XP on an ~40 GB Partition, and SUSE seems to have split itself into sections in the rest (like an ~19 GB Home, ~12 GB rest-of-SUSE, and there’s an ~5 GB Swap thingy) so it’s all on the same thing, boots up nicely in either (other than Windows having less and less when I find more and more that SUSE has that Windows doesn’t) and here’s the thing, I don’t have space on my SUSE partition to install some games that say they only work on Windows anyway, I’ve found things that say to make them work on Linux but I don’t have the room, and they’re installed on Windows anyway…

My question: Is it possible to boot Windows inside like a Workspace or something on SUSE?

(well, my real question is how do I do that, I know it’s possible, but you get the picture)

I’ve got dual 3.06 Ghz Processors, 896 MB RAM, 128 MB ATI Radeon Xpress thing (I think it’s built into the motherboard) so I’m sure I’ve got enough (my dad uses a computer with roughly 1/4 the power in each of those areas and runs Windows XP fine, I’m sure SUSE isn’t using up 3/4 of my hardware just running) to have two operating systems up (I wouldn’t mind going through steps that limit either one while both are up and running, in fact I mostly intend to not use much of SUSE while Windows is up anyway, just a couple things like Kopete still up in the background and such) at the same time, does anyone know how I can do this (without like losing files or screwing up either one, can’t mess up SUSE because I like it and my brother who half-owns the machine refuses to let me allow harm to befall the Windows Partition)

~<>~
EDIT
~<>~
A friend did the partitioning for me so if there’s any of that I’d need instructions on how to mess around with those, and I’ve been using SUSE since a couple weeks after 11.0 came out (so like not even half a year) and it’s the first Linux OS that I’ve actually been able to use (the ones before that I wouldn’t even count time spent on those, they kept crashing and I never learned anything other than that I don’t like Gnome and KDE 4 crashes miserably when I try to use it) so I don’t really know a lot, I’ve mostly been using the Graphical Programs (so telling me to install something via Command Line will take a few steps on how to do that) so yeah…

Just making sure I actually bother to mention that, hopefully everyone’s patient with me…thanks.

If you want to run Windows inside Linux, give VirtualBox a try. It’s open-source, however Windows is proprietary, so you have to activate it. :frowning:

Okay, new question: How do I do that?

(again, really not very experienced with a whole lot of this stuff yet)

G Warrior107 wrote:
> Okay, I searched for a while, Googled it, searched around here, couldn’t
> find anything. Hopefully I’ve got the right section of the Forums, this
> seemed the closest.
>
> Anyway, I’ve got a computer with a single 80 GB Hard Drive with Windows
> XP on an ~40 GB Partition, and SUSE seems to have split itself into
> sections in the rest (like an ~19 GB Home, ~12 GB rest-of-SUSE, and
> there’s an ~5 GB Swap thingy) so it’s all on the same thing, boots up
> nicely in either (other than Windows having less and less when I find
> more and more that SUSE has that Windows doesn’t) and here’s the thing,
> I don’t have space on my SUSE partition to install some games that say
> they only work on Windows anyway, I’ve found things that say to make
> them work on Linux but I don’t have the room, and they’re installed on
> Windows anyway…
>
> My question: Is it possible to boot Windows inside like a Workspace or
> something on SUSE?
>
> (well, my real question is how do I do that, I know it’s possible, but
> you get the picture)
>
> I’ve got dual 3.06 Ghz Processors, 896 MB RAM, 128 MB ATI Radeon Xpress
> thing (I think it’s built into the motherboard) so I’m sure I’ve got
> enough (my dad uses a computer with roughly 1/4 the power in each of
> those areas and runs Windows XP fine, I’m sure SUSE isn’t using up 3/4
> of my hardware just running) to have two operating systems up (I
> wouldn’t mind going through steps that limit either one while both are
> up and running, in fact I mostly intend to not use much of SUSE while
> Windows is up anyway, just a couple things like Kopete still up in the
> background and such) at the same time, does anyone know how I can do
> this (without like losing files or screwing up either one, can’t mess
> up SUSE because I like it and my brother who half-owns the machine
> refuses to let me allow harm to befall the Windows Partition)
>
>

As Tom2k says, your best approach is likely to be VirtualBox or VMware
(I use the former), but it doesn’t fit with your last sentence since, to
satisfy that, you would need two copies of MS Windows on your system -
one for you in VB and the existing one for your brother outside SUSE.

PeeGee

Asus M2V-MX SE, AMD 64X2 3800+, openSuSE 10.3 x86-64/XP Home dual boot
Asus M2NPV-VM, AMD LE1640, openSuSE 11.0 x86-64/XP Home dual boot

Well, why would I need two copies? I mean, I’m able to access and use the Windows Partition, the ‘may not allow harm to befall Windows’ is simply that I can’t go doing anything that would like delete it entirely or something. The ideal solution is something that boots the Windows Partition (the one that’s already there) inside SUSE without destroying any of the files on it, so yeah…

I’ve already got a user on the Windows Partition, and the main idea is access Windows as an entire OS inside Linux, like boot it up in a window or something, is there something that would allow for that? Basically I guess what I’m asking is similar to how Wine lets you run Windows stuff inside Linux, but instead of just a program I would like to run the whole operating system.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

VMware has the ability to use an existing partition as a disk so in
theory that may work. Keep in mind that you’ll have separate hardware
profiles for each system and the windows licensing system may balk at
that and make you re-register simply for that reason. VirtualBox may
have the ability to boot from a partition as well… I don’t know.

Good luck.

G Warrior107 wrote:
| Well, why would I need two copies? I mean, I’m able to access and use
| the Windows Partition, the ‘may not allow harm to befall Windows’ is
| simply that I can’t go doing anything that would like delete it
| entirely or something. The ideal solution is something that boots the
| Windows Partition (the one that’s already there) inside SUSE without
| destroying any of the files on it, so yeah…
|
| I’ve already got a user on the Windows Partition, and the main idea is
| access Windows as an entire OS inside Linux, like boot it up in a
| window or something, is there something that would allow for that?
| Basically I guess what I’m asking is similar to how Wine lets you run
| Windows stuff inside Linux, but instead of just a program I would like
| to run the whole operating system.
|
|
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFImikp3s42bA80+9kRAh24AJ4mIxoHpBAVoaz+7CT7ezn7m9MoiACeNx4c
flg4QRnK+67JBYcpbvVroH4=
=aDf5
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Are there guides to using either of these that I might be able to look at somewhere? I’d really like to have at least an okay idea as to what I’m about to do before I do it.

I believe that for games wine is recommended, as the virtualization software does not give the same access to the display adapter. Wine is available from the community build service repo - it can thus be added with yast easily.

Good luck whatever you do!

When you run VirtualBox and others like it, you are building a “virtual machine” which is an OS install (the “guest”) on top of an OS (the “host”). Understand that you are installing an entire OS in the guest. So to run XP in a VirtualBox virtual machine will require abt 5GB of your /home space. Now, you might get by with 4GB, which you could get by making your swap smaller; 5GB is much too large, 1 GB is enough.

The next question is whether you have the media to install XP with. Most computers you buy don’t have installable media. If you do have an install CD, you can use it for the virtual machine, but you will not be able to “activate” Windows in it, which means you won’t get Microsoft updates, etc. That’s probably not an issue for you, because you only want it for gaming. In any event, you must have an XP installation CD to install it in the virtual machine.

Finally, you’ll need to learn about how to use VirtualBox and a virtual machine. It’s not hard, but it’s important. I would google for experiences specifically gaming this way. You’ll need to manage the RAM between the host and guest because gaming takes a lot of RAM. Other games have very specific requirements.

VirtualBox can be installed from openSUSE Software Management.

VMware server tutorial

Check out the link above. It might help you with your virutal system.

There’s also a tutorial in the 1st paragraph on how to convert a windows desktop to be loaded in SUSE.

I’ve never completed the process, so I’m not sure how well it works.

But, I think that might help you if you want to run your Windows partition in SUSE.

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

G Warrior107 wrote:

>
> Okay, new question: How do I do that?
>
> (again, really not very experienced with a whole lot of this stuff yet)
>
>
G Warrior;

Have you considered just adding a second hard drive? It should cost well less
than $100.00 (US)

P. V.
“We have met the enemy an he is us” Pogo

G Warrior107 wrote:
> [snip]
> Anyway, I’ve got a computer with a single 80 GB Hard Drive with Windows
> XP on an ~40 GB Partition, and SUSE seems to have split itself into
> sections in the rest (like an ~19 GB Home, ~12 GB rest-of-SUSE, and
> there’s an ~5 GB Swap thingy) so it’s all on the same thing, boots up
> nicely in either (other than Windows having less and less when I find
> more and more that SUSE has that Windows doesn’t) and here’s the thing,
> I don’t have space on my SUSE partition to install some games that say
> they only work on Windows anyway, I’ve found things that say to make
> them work on Linux but I don’t have the room, and they’re installed on
> Windows anyway…
> [/snip]
What is the output to the following commands:

1. fdisk -l
  2. df -h

The first will give us the configuration of the hard drives installed
and the second will tell us how much the partition sizes and how much is
used. I personally think it is odd that you have a 12GB / partition and
it is full. Also, what games do you want to install?

I should have added that VirtualBox has a very good user manual, it can be downloaded from the virtualbox.org website.

Tom2k wrote:
> If you want to run Windows inside Linux, give VirtualBox a try. It’s
> open-source, however Windows is proprietary, so you have to activate
> it. :frowning:
>
>

Another option is to use kvm which is built into the kernel that
comes with 11.0. That avoids paying homage to Sun as well as
dealing with VMware.

Gaming inside a virtual machine, VMWare or VirtualBox, doesn’t matter which one, just doesn’t work because of the lack of 3D acceleration. So if you only want to play games in linux than a virtual machine is absolutely no option.

If you use a legal version of windows and you install it in one virtual machine then you will need to activate it just as any other regular windows installation on a normal pc. Installing it a second time in another virtual pc with the same license key will not allow you to activate it, hence it will only work for 30 days and then refuses to let you in without activation.

And to run you host + guest you need at least 2Gb of RAM to make it run smoothly.

G Warrior107 wrote:
> Well, why would I need two copies? I mean, I’m able to access and use
> the Windows Partition, the ‘may not allow harm to befall Windows’ is
> simply that I can’t go doing anything that would like delete it
> entirely or something. The ideal solution is something that boots the
> Windows Partition (the one that’s already there) inside SUSE without
> destroying any of the files on it, so yeah…
>
> I’ve already got a user on the Windows Partition, and the main idea is
> access Windows as an entire OS inside Linux, like boot it up in a
> window or something, is there something that would allow for that?
> Basically I guess what I’m asking is similar to how Wine lets you run
> Windows stuff inside Linux, but instead of just a program I would like
> to run the whole operating system.
>
>

Perhaps I misunderstood :frowning: I read your post that you wanted to have
SuSE and MS Windows running at the same time and be able to switch
between them and for your brother to boot directly into Windows?

I would not expect two operating systems, both controlling all the
hardware, to co-exist successfully - but that is not definitive.

PeeGee

Asus M2V-MX SE, AMD 64X2 3800+, openSuSE 10.3 x86-64/XP Home dual boot
Asus M2NPV-VM, AMD LE1640, openSuSE 11.0 x86-64/XP Home dual boot

@G_Warrior107 -

To clarify: When you run a program in Linux through Wine, you are using a code library interface which intercepts the Windows program calls to the OS and translates those into the Linux equivalent. “Wine Is Not Emulation”, is what W-I-N-E refers to. A virtual machine is entirely different. While there are variations in types of virtualization (hypervisor, paravirtualization, etc.), the common denominator is the virtual machine is its own fully self-contained environment running on top of the host OS. The former is an application using a translator, the latter is an OS on top of an OS.

@LRE’s point re 3D is what I was referring to previously. Certain hardware capabilities on the machine are not, with today’s technology, fully exposed to the virtual machine. And, the machine must have enough RAM that the virtual machine be able to have allocated to it sufficient memory to do whatever it is intended for, plus remaining memory for the host OS to run. If nothing else was running on the host except for the virtual machine, you might get away with allocating about 2/3-/34 of your ram to the virtual machine, and that will penalize you severely with some games. I know of games that load the entire contents of the game CD into RAM; that won’t work in this scenario.

Let me suggest taking a look at Cedega. It is a very inexpensive alternative built on top of Wine technology that is specifically for gaming on Linux.

That first command gives me this:
Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x9c879c87

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1        5099    40957686    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2            5100        9000    31334782+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda3            9001        9729     5855692+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda5            5100        6659    12530668+  83  Linux
/dev/sda6            6660        9000    18804051   83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 2055 MB, 2055208448 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 249 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x3995709d

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1   *           1         250     2007008    6  FAT16

The second one gives me this:
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5 12G 6.3G 5.0G 56% /
udev 442M 84K 442M 1% /dev
/dev/sda6 18G 1.6G 16G 10% /home
/dev/sda1 40G 27G 14G 67% /windows/C
/dev/sdb1 2.0G 470M 1.5G 24% /media/THUMBDRIVE

(changed it to /media/thumbdrive because I purposefully gave my thumb drive my name, makes it easy to prove when other students steal it that it's mine, but I'm not about to post my name here, house rules not to give out information like that, just saying that because I figured I'd mention any changes I made to what the output was just to make sure we're all totally clear on it)

And also the largest amount of RAM any of them said they needed was like 256 MB on Windows XP or higher (I'm guessing that minimum requirement turns into like 4GB or something if running Vista knowing how much RAM that takes up just to get it to work, but since I'm using XP I think the regular minimum works fine) and my grandparents got me a game they thought I might like, Age of Empires III and I tried that out a little and it is something I'd like to continue playing, but installing that wouldn't fit too well and I'd like to have some room, but like it says I'd be running out if I installed that and I just really like to have a few GB of room available for when I run into times I need that space for other programs, so I don't want it all taken up by a game.

If anyone thinks it'd be easier to explain to me how to resize the partitions and move some of the room from the Windows Partition and my /home to the / one I'd be fine doing that if my windows stuff works on SUSE (though it'd still be totally cool to run both, if I had room for that it'd be awesome just to have another reason for my brother to switch, but oh well) it's just that one game says it'll take 3 of those like 4 or 5 GB and if I got our other games to work (I'd hate to imagine how many my brother would try to install, he's got a small pile of I don't know what, and games is one of the things keeping him from switching, the others being his iTunes thingy, some issues with his MP3 Player that I've been trying to learn enough about to know what to ask, and a couple other small things) that space just wouldn't be enough, so yeah...

Like I said, just about all the games that we have cases for still none say more than 256 MB minimum, and surely SUSE without anything else up wouldn't take up the other 640 MB (I think normally when it runs after I've opened things and then closed them and when I check it's only using a few hundred, not several hundred MB) so I could probably put even more than that, and if my understanding of that Swap Space is correct, depending on how much could go there when I'm not even using it...

Still, whichever one works I'm probably fine with.  I just figured it's probably easier to get Windows to run in SUSE than to change partitions (though I'll admit that's a fairly undereducated guess, I wouldn't be amazed if I were wrong on that)

G Warrior107 wrote:
> ~~~~~~~~~~
> That first command gives me this:
> Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0x9c879c87
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/sda1 * 1 5099 40957686 7 HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/sda2 5100 9000 31334782+ f W95 Ext’d
> (LBA)