RT2500, Open Suse 10.2...is it still hope for me?

I’ve decided to create a new thread on this since my older thread was left hopeless…
I have OpenSuse 10.2 running on an averatec 3250 laptop with a RT2500 wireless card. Following he instructions posted at these forums I downloaded and compiled the drivers from serialmonkey. After some painful learning curve, I’ve got iwlist showing the wi-fi networks but still cannot connect, even removing WPA on my router.
I’d like to comment some weird progress I’ve done: After setting “Request broadcast response” at DCHP Options in Yast-Network Devices-…, I’ve run “dhclient” in the command line an guess what?..my router gave my card an IP address!..after doing that I was even able to browse some webpages but could not ping other computers on the same network (nor other computers could ping mine without loosing most of packets). My computer itself appeared in the DHCP active table of my router with a weird hostname (strange characters)…
Still Knetwork Manager was completely unaware of the situation showing no Ip or anything…
Does this info give any of you any clue? It is not easy for me to go to version 11 as suggested previously from you (v 11 was my fiest choice but had some strange “page errors” when installing from DVD), please can you help me?
Mario

Recent kernels should work using the rt2x00 drivers. Simply download the appropriate firmware for your card from the ralink website, place that in /lib/firmware, and reload the rt* module for your card. That should work with no problems. You may need to install a newer kernel, I’m not sure if the 10.2 kernel has the newer rt2x00 driver.