rpm, rar, codec and VLC issues.

Hi.

Happy to find you here. :slight_smile:

I’m totally new to linux and, apparently, to OpenSuse.

When I tried to look for a distro, I liked what I’ve read about OpenSuse and so, when version 11 came out, I installed it in a VM.

Everything went fine with the installation (I think so) and I had a desktop in a few minutes. I choose KDE 4. I even managed to install the Greek language and the flag at the taskbar by myself (no how-tos).

Then I wanted to check what is going on with multimedia files. So, I downloaded a small video which was in a rar file. Arc (I think this is the application name) couldn’t recognize the rar format. I looked in the updater application with all the packages and the repositories (sorry if I don’t remember the correct names) but I couldn’t find what I wanted. I used the search feature for “rar”, “archive”, “7-zip” and I tried to browser through all those strange for me names. I clicked on a few things, they installed but nothing happened. I looked at the suse online repository and I “one-click” installed 5rar (or something like that) but still nothing happened. At this point I got an error that seemed like a “broken package” error. Not sure though.

After a lot of installing and uninstalling I managed to understand that I’ve gotten a command line tool for unraring the file. I even managed to unrar the file through the command line! :smiley:

The “Arc” application still can’t handle rar files. How can I implement rar capabilities to Arc so I don’t have to use the command line every time?

After I managed to unrar the file I wanted to play the video. It is an .mpg video file. I looked in the package installer for codecs but with no luck. So I decided to install VLC. I know that VLC can play anything, so I thought that that was the way for me, for the time being. I installed VLC but when I ran it I saw a very small and messed up window that did nothing. I uninstalled and reinstalled VLC a lot of times but without success.

I finally decided to install a beta version (I think 0.9). It installed and when I ran it I saw a familiar window. I thought that I’d succeed. Alas, when I loaded the .mpg file The only thing that happened is that the scroll bar moved. No picture, no sound. What do I have to do to be able to play all the multimedia files? I don’t necessarily want to to it with VLC. Amarok or Kaffeine or other applications are fine by me.

Another problem I faced is when I needed to install the VMWare tools. I was presented with two files in the virtual CD-Rom. An .Rpm file and a .tz or something - a zipped file. Everything I did was a failure. How can I install applications like that?

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry for the big post.

geKan.

Welcome to our forum, and thank you for participating.

I’ll try to address most your questions, but in truth, in future you are better off trying to put separate questions into different threads. That will give you a FAR better chance of getting a response to every point.

Given that you are new, you might find it useful to read the openSUSE concepts page:
Concepts - openSUSE

I understand why you would want to have openSUSE in a VM (I have winXP as a client in a VBox in my openSUSE) but I hope you also understand that this will create complications that are not there with a normal install.

As a new user to Linux, IMHO this was not the best selection. KDE 4 is not stable. It even noted on the Installation page that if you wish a more stable install, then KDE-3.5.9 or Gnome should be chosen. So you are now setting yourself up for problems, where every app that you try to run, might fail just because you are using KDE-4.

Its not IMHO a good foundation on which to start a new OS. I’ve been using Linux for 10 years, and my selection is KDE-3.5.9.

Do you have rar and unrar installed?
Webpin - search on rar for an install of the rpm

Let me add some comments here. Next time, simply ask for help before you waste too much time.

Or better yet, read our stickies in the multimedia area:
Welcome to multimedia sub-area - openSUSE Forums

From the openSUSE concepts page above, you will note that Novell/SuSE-GmbH, with openSUSE, try to follow a “free software” / “open source” philsophy. This means proprietary codecs (such as come with mpeg) are not supported out of the box.
Restricted Formats - openSUSE

The openSUSE community has got together to provide information on how to help you with this:
Restricted Formats - openSUSE-Community
Multimedia - openSUSE-Community

Now having typed that, the above advocates the use of single-click install (in an effort to make things easier for newbies). Many of the average to more experienced openSUSE users, prefer to set up a Software Package Manager (read the openSUSE concepts page above) with the OSS, NON_OSS, Update, and Packman repositories in place, and then install applications by a simple selection in side the Software Package Manager. OpenSUSE-11.0 comes with YaST and zypper to make this sort of vlc install very easy.

I recommend you go to YaST > Software and then follow through to setup your repositories to include Packman.

I installed this in less than 10 minutes after my last openSUSE-11.0 install.

The sort of apps that I install are:

• smplayer
  • xine-ui (as packaged by Packman packagers - NOT the Novell package)
  • MPlayer
  • vlc
  • w32codec-all
  • xvid
  • amarok (as packaged by Packman - NOT the Novell package)

If I select just those, the software package manager will look after this install for me, and install a few dozen dependencies to make all of the above possible, and very fast to install. All of the above, on my fairly fast internet connection at home, took something in the order of 15 minutes.

Again, please read the openSUSE concepts guide. Note .tz files are NOT for newbies like yourself.

Your software package manager will help you install rpm files.

Once again, welcome to openSUSE and thankyou for participating in our forum.

oldcpu, thanks for your answer. I will read the references you provided me and I’ll get back later.
Thanks again.

OK, good luck with the reading. Perhaps the most important URL, for actually doing something (as opposed to just improving one’s understanding) is this URL:
Repositories - openSUSE-Community
It will show you how to setup you repositories for openSUSE-11.0 (just follow the link). The openSUSE-11.0 link on that page leads you to a page with very simple and brief instructions. Good luck!

Hi.

[QUOTE=oldcpu;1825684]Welcome to our forum, and thank you for participating.
…[/QUOTE]
As I said before, thanks for your very detailed answer. It kept me busy for a lot of time. I sure learned some stuff although there are things that I still don’t get. I’ll get them with time I guess.

[QUOTE=oldcpu;1825684]…
I’ll try to address most your questions, but in truth, in future you are better off trying to put separate questions into different threads. That will give you a FAR better chance of getting a response to every point.
…[/QUOTE]
I’ll keep that in mind. I just thought that if I put everything together, it’ll be better. In the future, I’ll follow your advice.

[QUOTE=oldcpu;1825684]…
Given that you are new, you might find it useful to read the openSUSE concepts page:
Concepts - openSUSE
…[/QUOTE]
Amazing read. Now, I see how different Linux is and it’s scary! :lol:

[QUOTE=oldcpu;1825684]…
I understand why you would want to have openSUSE in a VM (I have winXP as a client in a VBox in my openSUSE) but I hope you also understand that this will create complications that are not there with a normal install.
…[/QUOTE]
I know. I just did it for testing reasons. I’m gonna get OpenSuse to my second PC -my former PC- but I don’t feel ready yet. Anyway, this is for a different thread.

[QUOTE=oldcpu;1825684]…
As a new user to Linux, IMHO this was not the best selection. KDE 4 is not stable. It even noted on the Installation page that if you wish a more stable install, then KDE-3.5.9 or Gnome should be chosen. So you are now setting yourself up for problems, where every app that you try to run, might fail just because you are using KDE-4.

Its not IMHO a good foundation on which to start a new OS. I’ve been using Linux for 10 years, and my selection is KDE-3.5.9.
…[/QUOTE]
Well, I know that now. I thought KDE4 is new and better looking and so a good choice. I thought, well, how buggy can it be? How important KDE -or Gnome for that matter- how important KDE’s stability really is for the OS? Now, after a few crashes, I know…
I know I can have KDE3.5.9 with KDE4. I’ll install it but I don’t know how yet.

[QUOTE=oldcpu;1825684]…
Do you have rar and unrar installed?
Webpin - search on rar for an install of the rpm
…[/QUOTE]
I have installed unrar. It’s not the easiest thing but I come from DOS -not mentioning Spectrum or Amstrad :lol:- so command line is not such a problem. I don’t know the commands, but I can do the simple things.
Btw, I don’t remember how, but I installed Q7Z. It doesn’t work though.

[QUOTE=oldcpu;1825684]…
Let me add some comments here. Next time, simply ask for help before you waste too much time.
…[/QUOTE]
I’ll surely do that! :smiley:

[QUOTE=oldcpu;1825684]…
Or better yet, read our stickies in the multimedia area:
Welcome to multimedia sub-area - openSUSE Forums

From the openSUSE concepts page above, you will note that Novell/SuSE-GmbH, with openSUSE, try to follow a “free software” / “open source” philsophy. This means proprietary codecs (such as come with mpeg) are not supported out of the box.
Restricted Formats - openSUSE

The openSUSE community has got together to provide information on how to help you with this:
Restricted Formats - openSUSE-Community
Multimedia - openSUSE-Community
…[/QUOTE]
I can see how and why. I can see this is a bit of a problem for me or people like me -newbies- but it feels like the right thing to do.
KDE4 is giving some issues here, but I can manage. I think…

[QUOTE=oldcpu;1825684]…
Now having typed that, the above advocates the use of single-click install (in an effort to make things easier for newbies). Many of the average to more experienced openSUSE users, prefer to set up a Software Package Manager (read the openSUSE concepts page above) with the OSS, NON_OSS, Update, and Packman repositories in place, and then install applications by a simple selection in side the Software Package Manager. OpenSUSE-11.0 comes with YaST and zypper to make this sort of vlc install very easy.
…[/QUOTE]
I have set my repositories. All the available except the last one - the development one.
One click install doesn’t work for me but, I’m sure, it’s either due to KDE4 or some bad choice on my part.

[QUOTE=oldcpu;1825684]…
I recommend you go to YaST > Software and then follow through to setup your repositories to include Packman.

I installed this in less than 10 minutes after my last openSUSE-11.0 install.

The sort of apps that I install are:

• smplayer
  • xine-ui (as packaged by Packman packagers - NOT the Novell package)
  • MPlayer
  • vlc
  • w32codec-all
  • xvid
  • amarok (as packaged by Packman - NOT the Novell package)

If I select just those, the software package manager will look after this install for me, and install a few dozen dependencies to make all of the above possible, and very fast to install. All of the above, on my fairly fast internet connection at home, took something in the order of 15 minutes.
…[/QUOTE]
I did that and everything seem ok. Everything except the VLC. Look how strange VLC looks.
http://i32.tinypic.com/2096r1w.jpg
I don’t know why but it looks strange and doesn’t work. Can it be cause of KDE4?

[QUOTE=oldcpu;1825684]…
Again, please read the openSUSE concepts guide. Note .tz files are NOT for newbies like yourself.

Your software package manager will help you install rpm files.

Once again, welcome to openSUSE and thankyou for participating in our forum.[/QUOTE]
I now understand that I don’t understand how .tz files work. I’ll leave them alone for now.

[QUOTE=oldcpu;1825721]OK, good luck with the reading. Perhaps the most important URL, for actually doing something (as opposed to just improving one’s understanding) is this URL:
Repositories - openSUSE-Community
It will show you how to setup you repositories for openSUSE-11.0 (just follow the link). The openSUSE-11.0 link on that page leads you to a page with very simple and brief instructions. Good luck![/QUOTE]
With a bit of luck and your help I actually did some things!

Now, when I load YaST2 and during the Autorefresh -at 1/%- I get this error.
http://i30.tinypic.com/dddzrm.jpg
Why is that? It it because of the KDE4 or I messed the system up?
I tried to look it up and I found someone here with a similar problem. He was told to uncheck all the repositories and then check them one by one and try to run YaST2 each time to see which one causes the error.
What do you think?

Thanks for all the help.

geKan.

In KDE-3.5.9, rar/unrar is integrated into the file manager konqueror. So with KDE-3.5.9 one only needs to select the file with the file manager, and right click to rar or unrar. KDE-4 may not have this functionality working yet.

Great, but don’t forget, just because KDE-4 is the newest, doesn’t mean much (yet). KDE4 simply is “way behind” KDE-3.5.9 in terms of functionality. KDE-4 still has a lot of catching up to do.

No idea. I do not use KDE4.

Like I said, with KDE-3.5.9, simply select from file manager (konqueror), right click, and tar or untar. Its that simple.

Looks to me like you made a mistake hand entering a repos. You need to check your repos! Try typing “zypper lr -u” to get a detailed repos list in openSUSE-11.0.

Thats one way to find out. Another is to look at the output of “zypper lr -u” and try to figure it out by “inspection”.