RPM & Online Update seemingly out of sync OS11.2


When I use Zypper or the GUI to check my updates, everything is up to date. When check “Online Update” in YaST (GUI) it shows three updates needed, however none of them will work. That is, I have to abort if I try to install the updates from “Online Update”.

This is a 64bit system although I don’t see that making any difference.

I’ve tried first from my normal login then from root user login it (that is without “su” to root user but really logged in as root user).

I tried re-installing samba-client to see if it would fix up the package info. and then let it install, that didn’t work.

Here are some error messages I get when using the on-line update:

Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: package samba-client-3.4.3-3.3.1.x86_64 is not installed

Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: package rpm-4.7.1-6.7.3.x86_64 is not installed

It could be that the packages are all up to date and that Online Update is reporting wrongly – I just don’t know as I have never had to diagnose this type of problem before so I know very little about the installer part of Linux.

Any help much appreciated

Below are the updates that won’t install.

This update fixes the problem where RPM misses to clear the SUID/SGID bit of old files during package updates. (CVE-2010-2059) Also following bugs were fixed: - backport nosource/nopatch srpm tag generation fix - backport spurious tar message fix [bnc#558475] - do not use glibc for passwd/group lookups when --root is used [bnc#536256] - disable cpio md5 checking for repackaged rpms [bnc#572280] - fix endless loop when rpm database lock fails


  • samba could run out of file descriptors when copying a large amount of files from Windows 7 (bso#6837, bnc#619787). - Interdomain trusts with Windows 2008R2 didn’t work and winbind could potentially crash (bnc#613459, bnc#599873, bnc#592198, bso#6697). - clients could terminate their connection due to a NULL deref (CVE-2010-1635, bso#7229, bnc#605935).

sudo’s handling of the -g command line option allowed to also specify -u in some cases, therefore allowing users to actually run commands as root (CVE-2010-2956).