root permissions suse 11.3

why cant i change root permissions?if so how?i searched everywhere but nobody seems to know the answer.>:(

Exactly what are you trying to do?

Do you mean files and folders?
The menu way is Applications > System> Filemanager Superuser.
If you move files for a different user, i recommend to move it with the owner since if you do it as root it will become root.

…and just in case you are referring to folders owned by root by default: just leave it as it is. If you need access to those, become root.

Either way, it is not very clear what your actual problem is.

Maybe he wants to change the file permissions from root to ??? I dont know how to use the crystal ball…

I dont know how to use the crystal ball…

mine fell off the table
but the OP made 1 post in 2 years so … it might be a while

burchb54 wrote:
> why cant i change root permissions?if so how?i searched everywhere but
> nobody seems to know the answer.>:(

i know the answer to your question…but, not the way you asked it!
as others have said, explain what it is you are tying to change, are
you trying to change the permissions of a file or directory from one
user to another, from root to some other user, etc…

and WHY? (do NOT change root owned files/directories!) >:(

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

Poor puzzled penquin
I think

man chmod
man chown

i am trying to access root files and folders to be able to exicute them ,write, and edit them an example cheese does not work for me so if i could re-write or edit the driversand or sound i mirht be able to get it to work without using terminal thanks

and it also says permission denied when i try to use terminal maybe because it is a root file i used su no luck either?

how do you become root?maybe that is what i am getting at.my problem is i want to able to modify some files and folders, but the ones i need to modify either says permission needed or permission denied, and every file or folder is greyed out when it comes to permissions for me to exicute or write

To edit a system file, hit [ALT]+[F2] to bring up the run command, then enter

gnomesu gedit

or

kdesu kwrite

Don’t change their permissions! KDE also has a Superuser file manager to navigate system directories. Use caution.

In the terminal, enter

su -

and enter the root password. This will give you root access.

In the terminal, enter

su -

And enter the root password. This will give you root access in the terminal.

Hi
Have you installed codecs from packman by chance? If so you need to install gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-extra

When you try to use terminal you’re denied? Is this a new install? You shouldn’t have any problem opening a terminal window from the menu or mouse right click. If you’re using the Gnome Desktop try using
Menu | Applications | System | File Manager | Gnome Commander

Gnome Commander might allow you to change owners and permissions, however you shouldn’t need to change driver permissions for Cheese wither. IIRC, Cheese doesn’t work well anyway (but I could be wrong)>

Can you post output from

ls -Al / 
## and 
ls -Al  ~/ 
## and 
tail -n 40 /var/log/warn

thanks it worked

yes from root it says permission denied