root / partition too small

Hello.

I have a little problem.
Since i first installed my openSuse 11.2 on the laptop, I didn’t know how much space I’d need for this OS to run. Now I’ve encuntered the worst - The root prartition is 6GB big and it might run out of space shortly (700MB left).

I had Win XP on it but as soon as I learned openSuse to make basic tasks - i removed the ntfs partition.

The HDD is 28GB, I have 6GB root, 7,5GB home, 750MB swap (512MB RAM) ans 14,65GB free space off the deleted NTFS.

Is there any way to join the partitions, so the root can be 16GB in space and home around 12GB?

Or maybe just make another second /home partition and use a program to allocate the “missing bytes” from root to another partition if it runs out of space?

Thanks.
Best Regards
euro

Hi

using something like the gparted live cd:
GParted – Live CD/USB/PXE/HD

you can use that to resize the partition and make it larger and take up all the free space. Simply right click on the / partition in gparted and click on Resize/Move. Then change the field New Size to be the same as the Maximum Size shown. Then click Resize/Move then click apply. Make sure you back up your data because even though there is no doubt in my mind it won’t work if there is a power cut or something during resize partition gets corrupted.

Good luck

From an su - terminal can you run

fdisk -l (that is a lowercase L)

and copy and paste the output here.

Hello.

I have a little problem.
Since i first installed my openSuse 11.2 on the laptop, I didn’t know how much space I’d need for this OS to run. Now I’ve encuntered the worst - The root prartition is 6GB big and it might run out of space shortly (700MB left).

I had Win XP on it but as soon as I learned openSuse to make basic tasks - i removed the ntfs partition.

The HDD is 28GB, I have 6GB root, 7,5GB home, 750MB swap (512MB RAM) ans 14,65GB free space off the deleted NTFS.

Is there any way to join the partitions, so the root can be 16GB in space and home around 12GB?

Or maybe just make another second /home partition and use a program to allocate the “missing bytes” from root to another partition if it runs out of space?

Thanks.
Best Regards
euro

Something is wrong with the forum.
My threads are not displayed. After using search egnine, it found them. It has 2 replies but I can’t see them…

The simplest way to do this is with a liveCD using gparted, however it needs planning, what order are these partitions in? Are an extended and logical partitions involved?
This is where the request for fdisk -l output comes in.

On Thursday 07 Oct 2010 10:36, eurorage scribbled:

>
> Something is wrong with the forum.
> My threads are not displayed. After using search egnine, it found them.
> It has 2 replies but I can’t see them…
>
>

I can see the whole thread OK in the newsgroup. Perhaps it’s time to switch
to NNTP? :wink:

Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks. E-mail: “newsman”, not “newsboy”.
“It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.” - Carl
Sagan

Disk /dev/sda: 30.0 GB, 30005821440 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3648 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x1c651c64

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda2 * 1914 3648 13936387+ f W95 Ext’d (LBA)
/dev/sda5 1914 2009 771088+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 2010 2699 5542393+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 2700 3648 7622811 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 4005 MB, 4005527552 bytes
32 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3880 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2016 * 512 = 1032192 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x79105e85

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 1 3880 3911008+ b W95 FAT32

the usb flash drive is made bootable, because I’m installing gparted
EDIT: My logical thoughts are that if I remove the usb drive from my notebook, opensuse won’t start (grub won’t load) because there will be no boot partition set… or I’m wrong?

From what I see, I’d say you cannot join partitions. Simply because the order of the partitions will not allow it, you cannot have one partition across 2 pieces of HDD that are not next to eachother. If I were you, I’d backup /home and whatever else you need, and install 11.3 with a new, proper partitioning. I’d take 2 GB for swap, 15 GB for “/” the rest for /home.

I don’t really want to reinstall this.

I was thinking… maybe make an use of the ~13GB free space (from removed win xp). And just move the root partition to the new one, then change the root to any other like /home2 or something?

Is that possible?

The extended sda2 needs to be resized to use the free space
delete sda5 (swap) and recreate it later
move and resize sda6, then sda7, then recreate swap.

back important data first.

Can give further details if you decide to go ahead.

Well.

I think there might be an easier solution.
Move /home from sda7 to the free space (and use ~10GB for home, ~2GB left for further swap). Then remove /home sda7, then resize root with 8GB more space off deleted home and swap partition.
After this create swap 2GB.
Easier? or wrong?

I’d be thankful if you gave me further details.

Question: how much RAM do you have? If over 2 GB, leave swap as is, create a new linux partition in the empty space, copy contents of /home to it, then mount that one as /home instead.
If you decide to leave swap as it is now, you’d only have to resize “/” to wished size, even could use the left space as an extra data partition.

To me this involves more than booting a liveCD, run gparted, right click the partition you want to move/resize,
then moving the sliders in the direction needed and hitting the apply button.
There are naturaly precautions to take.

To move /home you first create the new partition, then copy home to it, including “hiden” files then set up fstab, and so on

On 2010-10-07 13:36, eurorage wrote:
>
> I don’t really want to reinstall this.
>
> I was thinking… maybe make an use of the ~13GB free space (from
> removed win xp). And just move the root partition to the new one, then
> change the root to any other like /home2 or something?
>
> Is that possible?

Yes… I think so.

You can partition and format sda1. Then copy everything in “/” to it. Add a new entry in grub for
this new root. Edit fstab to change the root. Reboot to try.

If it works, remove old root, perhaps join to /home.

For the copy:

rsync --archive --acls --xattrs --hard-links --del --stats --human-readable
–exclude=/home --exclude=/dev --exclude=/proc --exclude=/sys
/ newroot/

more or less. Or use “mc”.

Your grub setup would be a bit strange, though (using the extended partition, I think). But if it
works, don’t touch it :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

I’ll do so Knurpth… I have 512MB of ram, so I think I need more swap.

So I’ll follow your instructions, but I’ll make less space for home, and make swap higher.

Can it all be done through yast partition manager? or I still need the usb bootable stick with gparted?

Another problem encounetered… I made a new partition, temporarily mounted it as /home2. Thing is I can’t copy /home/myprofilename to /home2… any hints?

Can it all be done through yast partition manager? or I still need the usb bootable stick with gparted?

You will want that bootable media with a partitioning tool on it, in particular I don’t see how you can resize “/” on the operating system while it is using it.
“/” has to be mounted for the OS to run, but you should never attempt to resize a partition that is mounted (the partitioner should not allow it anyway).

Yes dvhenry.

I’ll have to do it through gparted.

But before I do this, I need to copy home to home2.
I made a new partition, temporarily mounted it as /home2. Thing is I can’t copy /home/myprofilename to /home2… any hints?

On 2010-10-07 15:36, eurorage wrote:
>
> Another problem encounetered… I made a new partition, temporarily
> mounted it as /home2. Thing is I can’t copy /home/myprofilename to
> /home2… any hints?

Are you root? If not, you can not.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)