Root / Mount reached to 100%

Server running on suse linux 11.4 SP4 operating system on of sudden / mount point reached 100%. We are unable to find which file or any application consumes large space in that particular mount point and /usr,/home/tmp,/var are separate mount points. Now we are unable to clear the space.We suspect that / mount point showing wrong space utilization

How many kernels are installed?

As you appear to be using SLES 11 SP4, you are best advised to get community support via
https://forums.rancher.com/

Further support options discussed here

10 Kernels installed because we are using SAP cluster.
Is this command for to verify the list of kernels installed
zypper se -si kernel*

I know not the significance of using SAP cluster. I do know kernels consume considerable space on a / filesystem. e.g., I just upgraded a TW installation to 20230517. The newly installed kernel consumed 6% of available space. If I had 10 of those installed, they would be consuming 60% of /:

# zypper se -si kernel-default | grep default | sort
il | kernel-default | package | 6.0.12-1.1 | i586 | (System Packages)
il | kernel-default | package | 6.1.12-1.1 | i586 | (System Packages)
il | kernel-default | package | 6.2.9-1.1  | i586 | (System Packages)
# df -h /
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda17      5.4G  3.9G  1.3G  76% /
# zypper in kernel-default
# zypper se -si kernel-default | grep default | sort
il | kernel-default | package | 6.0.12-1.1 | i586 | (System Packages)
il | kernel-default | package | 6.1.12-1.1 | i586 | (System Packages)
il | kernel-default | package | 6.2.9-1.1  | i586 | (System Packages)
il | kernel-default | package | 6.3.2-1.1  | i586 | OSS
# df -h /
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda17      5.4G  4.2G  972M  82% /
# rpm -qi kernel-default | grep -A5 ': 6.3.2' | grep -E '6.3.2|Size'
Version     : 6.3.2
Size        : 345774161
#

Like deano_ferrari, I assume the OP is better off when he goes to a forum that belongs to his SLES then asking here on the openSUSE forums.

ok i our server six default kernels installed. But when i am checking with the default kernel size i am getting
Version :3.0.101
Group : System/Kernel
Size : 88981347
Could you verify and give the solution for how to clear the / mountpoint space.Mainly We are unable to find which file or any application consumes large space in that particular mount point

And how you expect us to find anything on your system if you do not show any information at all? We are not your contractor with obligations to come and fix the problems. We depend on information you provide. If you provide no information, we also cannot suggest any solution.

I didn;t say # Arvidjaar your a contractor come and fix the problem. why you feeling like i didn’t get you Just what i am facing the issue i shared.I asked for is there any other ways to find which file or application consumes large space.

The fact remains, that you didn’t provide any useful information in your original post.

You might be able to use “du” to locate the problem.

Start with:

du -s *

at the top directory. And then work your way down. But this depends on you having some idea what is suspiciously large.

Or install (if not already installed) ncdu and do ncdu /boot to easily navigate and ID old and/or unneeded files, and see how much space they and the directories consume.

ok mrmazda i will verify

ok thanks i will check

It’s possible you’ll have to use nrickert’s suggestion. Ncdu may not have been around long enough to have been available in SUSE 11.4’s package repertoire. In the version I have installed, its changelog begins in 2011. Whether an openSUSE version might be available or installable in SUSE I have no idea.

ok no issue .But thanks a lot for your valuable troubleshooting steps and guidance