Restore open suse installation.

HI. I received a laptop from my friend who had it installed with open suse (OEM). He wanted a more user friendly os which in his language means windows. So i installed windows seven for him. i left the partition with suse alone and installed windows on a separate partition planning to restore open suse later. In order to do so, i installed easy BCD in windows, installed GRUB with an entry pointing to open suse. i was able to get to the boot screen, but at a point during the boot, it tries to mount the ntfs partitions in which windows is installed and also other partitions which contain data(windows recognises only ntfs and fat). the problem seems to be that suse doesn’t recognise ntfs and hence it gives me an error: unidentified filesystem:ntfs and sits there after configuring the remaining USB devices. so is there any way i can add the required config files for open suse to recognize the ntfs by booting into another live cd? if yes, can you point me to the config files? Many thanks in advance.

You need to be concise when you ask for help.

• what version of openSUSE did you install?
  • if you cannot boot at all with openSUSE: is this a new install or did you use the pre-existing install.
  • if pre-existing, how did you resize the existing partitions?
  • can you post (between code tags) the partition layout from
fdisk -l
  • why did you chose to “pile” boot-managers. If you install dual-boot with grub and windows, you do not need any third party boot manager. Just works out of the box for windows and Linux.
  • is this a UEFI laptop or a BIOS laptop?
  • did you backup the data prior to this "userfriendly OS installation??

You did install a not needed third party boot manager. This means the presentation of the existing partitions is handled by it. You could have
a) used Grub
b) used the Windows boot-manager
c) used the third party boot manager but respectively always in leaving out the installation of the native one.
Linux is capable of handling NTFS partitions since about 6 to 8 years now. Since 5 years you can read, write and for what I know even easily resize partitions. So this is not your problem. The third party boot manager is.

I recall a friend to use BCD with a similar configuration (because it “looked nicer”) and the result was that he had to call me to take it of, repair the install of windows and linux and finally set up correctly GRUB. You may consider.

P.S. unless you give exhaustive description of how you installed, steps followed to set up BCD, having contacted the forum of BCD (and checked with them if this is really a problem of openSUSE (I doubt it) or of BCD and how you did use it (I bet you) then you may come here with all the information and ask more concisely for info. At least this would be my suggestion.

On 05/01/2013 07:26 AM, muthuraj123 wrote:
> I received a laptop from my friend who had it installed with open
> suse (OEM).

to me, that sentence means your friend bought a new laptop which came
from the Original Equipment Manufacturer (like say DELL) with SUSE
installed, on top of which Win7 was installed. Correct?

if that is correct it did not come with openSUSE (at least i know of
no OEM installing openSUSE), but rather with SUSE Linux Enterprise
Desktop (probably version 11) installed…

and, in that case you need to be in a forum where SUSE Linux
Enterprise Desktop is the topic, here: http://forums.suse.com/

the ID/Pass you used here will work there…

dd

OEM for me means he did install it by himself…but nice, dell delivers SLED? Did not know that.

On 05/01/2013 06:36 PM, stakanov wrote:
> dell delivers SLED? Did not know that.

sure: http://www.dell.com/Learn/us/en/555/linux-solutions-partners

and HP…and, others…

dd

Not only is the original OS likely SLED,

The system is likely a mess with all the things installed willy-nilly.

IIRC EasyBCD is only a windows boot manager configurator, not the boot files themselves unless you placed them on your own. As previously noted, you should simply install the new OS (Windows) which will install its own bootloader configured properly for that OS. Assuming the BCD is first, then you would only need to run EasyBCD to create a new entry pointing to the existing Grub for SLED.

But your possible install of additonal bootloader files and additional grub may have made the machine a frankinstein not easily fixed.

IMO,
TSU