Restarted PC and now can't boot in

Hi Wolfi323, thanks again for the reply.

I ran nvidia-installer --uninstall and that said successfully intalled, and then reinstalled the other 4 packages as per the code you put down. Rebooted the PC and still in the same situation, the wallpaper and icon sizes look OK (the picture quality of video/media and the wallpaper is superb) but the fonts are ridiculously large and I can’t see the edges of the screen still :frowning:

I’ve uploaded the xorg log to here

http://susepaste.org/22123448

Many, many thanks!

Ross

But now the nvidia driver is in use and working! :wink:

Your font size is caused by this:

18.361] (--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (304, 304); computed from "UseEdidDpi" X config
    18.361] (--) NVIDIA(0):     option

Now there are a few ways to “fix” this.
The easiest one would be to “force” a different DPI (the default 96 should be fine) in KDE’s “Configure Desktop”->Application Appearance->Fonts.

You could also change the Xorg config though. As you already have a /etc/X11/xorg.conf you’d just have to edit this.
Could you post it please?

Hi and thanks again

http://susepaste.org/43630808

there is the xorg.conf file.

cheers :smiley:

edit - forcing the DPI to 96 and then (just to make sure) restarting has kind of solved the issue, except now the font is tiny haha! So I’ll have to play around with the DPI and see which suits best. However…still missing the edges of the screen :frowning: Wondering whether that’s just something I’ll have to put up with, maybe a monitor compatibility issue?

I was trying to add a taskbar to the left, right and top of the screen and increasing their height/width so when I maximise a window it will “stop” at those points but for some reason it is now only letting me put new panels at the top and nowhere else?!

Edit - figured the panels out, so it’s almost all good now (though not the ideal set up!) but if I could some how get something “under” the taskbar to raise it slightly!?

2 options:

• Either add an DPI option to the screen section to explicitely set the DPI:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "Stereo" "0"
    Option         "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0; 1280x800 +0+0"
    Option         "SLI" "Off"
    Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
    Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
    SubSection     "Display"
    Depth       24
    EndSubSection
    Option "DPI" "96 x 96"
EndSection

or, maybe better, specify the actual monitor dimensions (i.e. Width and Height) in the monitor section (the monitor apparently reports wrong values there), the graphics driver should then calculate the correct DPI values automatically:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "SAMSUNG"
    HorizSync       26.0 - 81.0
    VertRefresh     24.0 - 75.0
    Option         "DPMS"
   DisplaySize 530 300
EndSection

and turn off “UseEdidDpi” to the screen section:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "Stereo" "0"
    Option         "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0; 1280x800 +0+0"
    Option         "SLI" "Off"
    Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
    Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
    Option "UseEdidDpi" "FALSE"
EndSection

Of course you have to specify the correct size in milimeters instead of “530 300”.

To edit the file, just edit it in a text editor. As you need root permissions, this should do f.e.:

kdesu kwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf

If you make a mistake and the system boots to text mode, just boot to recovery mode and revert your change.
If in doubt ask, of course.

As I said, I would prefer the second solution I suppose.

And when you do this, you should disable that DPI override in KDE again.

edit - forcing the DPI to 96 and then (just to make sure) restarting has kind of solved the issue, except now the font is tiny haha! So I’ll have to play around with the DPI and see which suits best.

Well, or rather specify the display size as mentioned above.

However…still missing the edges of the screen :frowning: Wondering whether that’s just something I’ll have to put up with, maybe a monitor compatibility issue?

You should be able to rectify this with the monitor’s controls.
Most them have some “Auto” button that should adjust the image correctly automatically.

I was trying to add a taskbar to the left, right and top of the screen and increasing their height/width so when I maximise a window it will “stop” at those points but for some reason it is now only letting me put new panels at the top and nowhere else?!

Click on the toolbox symbol at the right end of the panel, and the tool box should appear. There’s a button named “Screen Edge” there, click on that and drag the panel to whereever you want.

PS: After doing some calculations, I came to the conclusion that probably your monitor incorrectly reports its size in inches instead of millimeters, and that causes the problem.
The correct DPI value should then be 120 (~ 304/2,54).

According to my calculations, your display should be about 16x9 inches (407x229 millimeters), right? :wink:

Afraid not! It’s a samsung 32" TV, just checked and it measures 700mm width and 390mm height and 800mm hypotenuse

I edited xorg.conf to this

http://susepaste.org/92156776

and it has adjusted the fonts etc which are better (very small but I can manually increase these to my needs and the screen resolution is superb…but still missing the edges of the screen :frowning:

I’ve managed to put panels at the top and each side of the screen so maximised windows I can see all the edges (adjusted the panel sizes to JUST have enough width/height to cover the areas I can’t see); and also put small spacers either side of the task bar but I still can’t work out the whole bottom of the task bar…which is, in reality, the last remaining issue (though again, not a perfect fix).

Is there any way I can put something “under” the task bar to lift it up at all? Or any other ideas why this isn’t working!?

Thanks so much again, you’ve been amazing!

Ross

Ok, then the values are completely bogus, it seems.

I edited xorg.conf to this

SUSE Paste

and it has adjusted the fonts etc which are better (very small but I can manually increase these to my needs and the screen resolution is superb…but still missing the edges of the screen :frowning:

I’ve managed to put panels at the top and each side of the screen so maximised windows I can see all the edges (adjusted the panel sizes to JUST have enough width/height to cover the areas I can’t see); and also put small spacers either side of the task bar but I still can’t work out the whole bottom of the task bar…which is, in reality, the last remaining issue (though again, not a perfect fix).

Is there any way I can put something “under” the task bar to lift it up at all? Or any other ideas why this isn’t working!?

Well, positioning/moving the picture on the screen is not that easy. You would have to create a corresponding modeline I suppose. Or use xrandr.

But as I said, maybe you are able to adjust this on the display.
Do you have any kind of zoom function activated or similar? Especially a TV normally has things like “Super-Zoom”, “Letterbox”, or similar.
Try switching between those modes.

Do you actually have the correct resolution selected in KDE? “Configure Desktop”->“Display and Monitor”->Configure Display (click on right-most icon to list all resolutions). Maybe try a different one in any case.

I feel like a right plonker now, it was indeed the TV settings which needed adjusting! all 100% sorted and dandy now.

olfi323 - you have my utmost gratitude. You’ve been unbelieavably helpful in sorting this with me (or rather, for me). I’ve learned a few things along the way which may help me in the future as well. I cannot thank you enough!!

Ross.