Resize/split installation ISO

Using Easy2Boot I created a 16 GB large multiboot key with several OS installers, including many distros as well as Windows 7.
Everything works right, unfortunately, because of file system FAT32, I can’t copy the image with Opensuse onto it.
I also tried to format the key with NTFS, but fragmentation causes problems and some installers don’t seem to work right (above all Opensuse).
Ext would be impossible to use because of Windows.

Is it somehow possible either to shrink the ISO under 4 GB size (e.g. by giving up on alternative desktop environments) or to split it in two parts?

The only alternative would be using the network installation ISO, but it would take way too long, furthermore I’d rather consider an installation that doesn’t depend on network.

Thanks in advance for every useful answer.

Could be a task for https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:KIWI

It probably won’t work anyway.

Try a live image (live KDE or live Gnome), or try the NET installer. Those are all smaller.

When you use the DVD installer, it will want to access the repos that are on the DVD, and the chances are that they won’t find them when you prepare the installer the way you want to do it.

Live KDE is based on an older version, I’d like to create an image with the newest one, instead.

With Studio I built a reduced ISO (using a template), but something seems not to work properly. While emulating with VirtualBox, I’m not able to start Live Install, it tries to load, but it won’t be run.
The real test fails as well, it gets somehow stuck in the middle of loading.

I finally did it!
Here’s my appliance. Tested and working, at least in VBox.

On 2015-04-11 11:06, manni watzki wrote:
>
> Live KDE is based on an older version, I’d like to create an image with
> the newest one, instead.

No, the 13.2 full DVD is the exact same version as the 13.2 live KDE.

> With Studio I built a reduced ISO (using a template), but something
> seems not to work properly. While emulating with VirtualBox, I’m not
> able to start Live Install, it tries to load, but it won’t be run.
> The real test fails as well, it gets somehow stuck in the middle of
> loading.

suse studio has its own forum, you should ask there.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)