reset software updates notification

I saw a software updates notification, updated all software listed in notification from yast, but notification is still here. Is it a bug? How to refresh it?

kde

not necessarily a bug it could be an update wasn’t installed or one of your repo’s had an update after you installed updates
for instance packman has a lot of updates and most of them are trivial (a package rebuild after a dependency update)
you can set the notivier to check once a week for updates
you can allso run

zypper ref
zypper up

to see if there are any new updates or it’s a bug

And where did you see that? In YaST, elsewhere?

The notification contains versions i have installed.
zypper up does not shows any of updates listed in notification.
Setting notifer to check updates once a week does not refresh it, it still shows these installed updates, so i dont get the point of it.

In KDE system tray.

Yes, but you installed it with YaST, so the update notifier/PackageKit doesn’t know about it.

Wait until it checks for updates next (it does so every 24 hours by default), and the notification should disappear.

You can run “pkcon get-updates” in a shell to force a recheck though.

Setting notifer to check updates once a week does not refresh it, it still shows these installed updates, so i dont get the point of it.

It does not refresh it, because you actually prolonged the period until when it would check for updates next…

Seems wrong that yast does not telling a notifier about installed updates. Whatever.

You can run “pkcon get-updates” in a shell to force a recheck though.

It didn`t refreshed the notification for me.

It does not refresh it, because you actually prolonged the period until when it would check for updates next…

So i dont get the point of doing it.

It could only notify PackageKit if PackageKit was actually running.
But if PackageKit is running, it will block YaST (and zypper).

IOW, this is not possible currently.
Improvements in this area are worked at though.

It didn`t refreshed the notification for me.

Hm, it should I think.
Maybe try to logout/login afterwards.

You could also delete the file ~/.config/plasma-pk-updates.
That stores the timestamp when it last checked for updates, so it should check again (on next login at least).

But the problem should “resolve” itself in the next hours anyway (if you set it to check daily).

So i dont get the point of doing it.

The point is to tell the applet to only check for updates once a week.
I don’t know why I_A suggested you to try that though.

Well, YaST was first. PackageKit (and thus the notifier) are new on the stage. They are from far different developers. I would say either use the one (YaST >Software Management and zypper) or the other (PackageKit and the notifier).

My personal preference: openSUSE and thus YaST (and consequently zypper as CLI interface) because YaST is one of the main reasons to choose openSUSE.
Thus I do not install PackageKit (and the notifier) at system installation at all. But YMMV.

Isn`t there a way to make some trigger for all software managament apps?

Maybe try to logout/login afterwards.
You could also delete the file ~/.config/plasma-pk-updates.
That stores the timestamp when it last checked for updates, so it should check again (on next login at least).

And doing this every time? I`d rather disable notification or just ignore it.

Well, im just using defaults. And its kinda reasonable to recive notifications about updates.

How would you know which apps may possibly (be able to) access the software management?

And YaST cannot trigger PackageKit in any way currently (because they cannot run at the same time).

But, as I wrote, improvements in this area are underway.

And doing this every time? I`d rather disable notification or just ignore it.

Every time?
No, just don’t use YaST to install the updates, use the updater instead.

And again, the updater should get in sync again in any case when it does check for updates the next time (every 24 hours)

Well, i`m just using defaults.

Well, starting YaST to install updates is not really “just using the defaults” either, is it? :wink:

They should subscribe to the event themselves like in android. If it needs lots of new stuff then of cource the over way should be usen.

And YaST cannot trigger PackageKit in any way currently (because they cannot run at the same time).

Delayed execution or something like that

No, just don’t use YaST to install the updates, use the updater instead.

If im not mistaken, the only gui this updater has is notification, which is not really informative. So if i want to, for example. read changelog without using a browser, i have to use yast.

And again, the updater should get in sync again in any case when it does check for updates the next time (every 24 hours)

The unneded notification is not really a problem, but its annoying a bit.

Well, starting YaST to install updates is not really “just using the defaults” either, is it? :wink:

Using yast in opensuse is not defaults?:wink:

There currently is no such package management event where something could subscribe to though.

(Actually, frontends to PackageKit do subscribe to PackageKit and are notified by PackageKit whether there are updates or not.
The problem is that PackageKit doesn’t notice the change because it is not even running and therefore could not be notified either)

But that’s what I wrote:
This is currently not possible. It needs changes (in the package management itself as well as in PackageKit), and this is work in progress.

A bug report where this is tracked is here btw:
https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1009129

If im not mistaken, the only gui this updater has is notification, which is not really informative. So if i want to, for example. read changelog without using a browser, i have to use yast.

You can get the changes of a “patch” (i.e. official update) by clicking on it in the popup.
But this only works within 15 seconds currently, because PackageKit shuts itself down after that period to not block YaST/zypper.

Using yast in opensuse is not defaults?:wink:

Installing updates with YaST is (arguably) not really the default.
You need to run YaST manually, while the updater is there “running” and notifying you by default.

Using YaST mixed with PackageKit (the notifier) is what creates your problems. As I said earlier stick to the one or the other. Use the notifier and let it then update (it uses PackageKit for that), it will then “know” the updates are applied.

Or use YaST and either accept that the notifier may lag behind after you installed patches/updates with YaST (or zypper), or ignore/switch off/deinstall the notifier.

Ok, got it. Thanks for the explanation.