Repositories

• Is there any certain repositories that one should set up when installing a clean opensuse 11.2? To the best of my knowledge everything is pretty much good to go, w/ the exception of packman, which I really should get set up. Do i have this right?

Thanks in advance,

-cheers

Basically correct.

Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide - openSUSE Forums

The perceived wisdom among experienced Suse users is the fewer repo’s the better. It’s recommended that only OSS, Non-OSS, Updates & Packman are enabled. Anything else you need like the Nvidia driver for example you should enable the repo’, install what you need and then disable or remove it. This should provide optimum stability and longevity.

:wink:

okay, you just open a whole world of question, can you retort? :slight_smile:

-cheers

How do you mean, a whole world of questions?

“this should provided optimum stability and longevity”. Why, How, Etc. Is it because its just another backround process to update? …

…why wouldn’t I do that w/ Packman?

-cheers

Just to clarify, all you should need is:
oss, non-oss, update, packman

Possibly a video driver repo (or manually install it)

Too many repos can give you conflicting packages, wrong supplier of certain packages, etc. There is no background process by added a repo until you run an update. It’s just plain ‘cleaner’ and more stable to use the recommended repo’s listed above.

okay,

I have just successfully integrated packman as a repo, and installed a several things via the command line.

1. exactly what is packman, why does everyone recommend i get it, and is it specifically for playing media? I have what I need, should I delte it now, from what I hear that answer would be , no. but why do I need it, shall I pay attention to it at any given time? I’m very lost with the whole repo topic, please understand.

2. What is “zypper”? i know its obviously a utility for linux, guessing for any distro/flavor, but would I be wrong in always using it as a downloading utility? I ended up installing everything that I did through the CL. Basically read it off of a link, earlier provided on this thread". i mean, yeah its great that I did it, but what is it worth if I don’t know what/how/etc it worked. What is zypper, what does it mean, and what does the "in’ part mean, (i.e, the command is zypper in …] )

as always, thanks in advance, and please show mercy, I’m new :slight_smile:

-cheers

1. Packman : Supplies particularly multimedia packages for openSUSE and some other distros
    No need to remove it, why disadvantage yourself

2. zypper: Is a package management utility.
    Zypper/Usage/11.2 - openSUSE
    or man:zypper in konqueror

Packman supplies proprietary codecs and other non crippled libraries. Also some games and other programs that might not be in OpenSuse. Some Multimedia schemes are covered by patents or other IP considerations. These by definition are not totally open source and Novell has made the judgment (purely legal) to not supply them with the OS. So libraries that might use such IP encumbered codecs are ofter compiled without those codecs, like mp3. Thus the need for packman if you want to play mp3 files.

If you don’t like the command line you can use Yast-Sotware Management to manage your software graphically. Yast uses zypper as a back end so you still use zypper just indirectly via a GUI

well,

I don’t mind the CL, I intend on sticking w/ it…

Thanks for the assistance everyone!

-cheers

So,

i should get rid of my Wine repo too?

I know wine updates pretty frequently, maybe even as often as weekly…isn’t that a reason to keep it?

-cheers

No need to dump it really.
Did we ever see your list

zypper lr -d

Here is the thing that people seem to have a hard time understanding about repositories. A repository is just a directory on some server some where with a couple of extra files to define the REPOSITORY. Now a repository may only have one package in it or maybe a couple of related packages and libraries. No problem with these. Some may however have libraries that may conflict with the base Suse install. Like the factory repo which has the cutting edge try at you own risk stuff. These you definitely do not want even by accident to have active if you expect to have a stable OS. If you are testing the betas great have at it but be warned that these programs may not be stable. Now to makew matters worse, people move to a beta repo and leave the base repo’s active. Now you have a really unstable mix of packages.

If you need a package from a beta or other repo that may supply fundamental packages to fix a problem fine, just turn the repo off after you get the package.

Never mix never worry.

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

–±------------------------------------------------------------------------±------------------------------------------------------------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±------------------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | ftp.skynet.be-suse | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/packman/suse/11.2 |
2 | Index of /repositories/Education/openSUSE_11.2 | Index of /repositories/Education/openSUSE_11.2 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Education/openSUSE_11.2 |
3 | Index of /repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_11.2 | Index of /repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_11.2 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Emulators:/Wine/openSUSE_11.2 |
4 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | cd:/// |
5 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.2-Debug | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /debug/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
6 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/non-oss |
7 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
8 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.2-Source | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /source/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
9 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.2-Update | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.2 |

this is the result of typing zypper lr -d.

thanks guys

-cheers

Personally I’d turn 3,5 and 8 off.(disable) Prorbalt nothing to hurt you but you really don’t need them active all the time.

Not sure about the Education repo. If you use a bunch of education software I guess it is OK. Never looked to see what it supplies.

You can do it in Yast by select repository tab and selecting the repo in the list. Yast will just show you the packages just from that repo. If you see lots of red or blue in the list maybe there could be some conflicts with the base 11.2 install.

Also do you have a NVIDIA or ATI card if so maybe you might want their repo. If Intel you are fine.

I think you will find both Education and Wine repos both have ‘wine’
Education though has many other apps
So @gogalthorp suggests disable: 3,5,8 but I would say 3,4,5,8 and use wine from education.