Repositories update configuration

Hello.

After reading through this forum, I still have 2 questions about updating package.

1st question :

I have install fail2ban with the command :

rpm -i Index of /repositories/home:/leonardocf/openSUSE_11.0/i586fail2ban-0.8.4-2.1.i586.rpm

How to configure the repository manager to look for update ?

2nd question :
I have install an_another_software with the command

rpm -i Index of /repositories/home:somewhere/openSUSE_11.0/i586/an_another_software-x.y.z-1.i586.rpm

It appears that this software can be found in :

a) Index of /repositories/home:somewhere/openSUSE_11.0/i586/an_another_software-x.y.z-1.i586.rpm

and

b) Index of /repositories/server:/php:/applications/openSUSE_11.1/noarchan_another_software-x.y.z-1.noarch.rpm

How to configure the repository manager to look for update ?

Any ideas anyone?

Many Thanks

JCD

I don’t think you can. You are installing from off base repo’s In general they do not offer an update service. Best to disable the repo’s in you repo list and then periodically check to see if a newer relapse has been made. In general it is a poor idea to keep to many repo’s active it can cause conflicting packages to be installed causing havoc.

IMHO the site you mention is just a bunch of RPMs, not a repository in the sense that YaST/zypper work with. So I think (contrary to gogalthorp) that it not registered in YaST/zypper as a repository, and thus you can not disable it.

Also the fact that you used rpm to install and not YaST might not help YaST to know about it, but I am not completely sure about that.

They can be set up in the repo list but you will not get updates since they are just special rpm’s that people have packaged up and not part of the official distro.

They are handy if you need some package not in the distro but do not expect them to be a full support solution. For example I found the kdar package in one since it is no longer in the official repo’s and the new dargui package was broken.

Hello.

I you look closely, I am speaking about repositories which are all from opensuse :

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/…

I was imaging that all these repositories was official.

So what I want to know is :
IF I found a package in two differents opensuse places what is the best choice

http : // download . opensuse.org/repositories/home:somewhere/openSUSE_11.0/i586/an_another_software-x.y.z-1.i586.rpm

or

http : // download . opensuse.org/repositories/server:/database:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.1/i586/an_another_software-x.y.z-1.i586.rpm

To begin with, you should NOT install them using rpm, but using zypper or YaST > software > software Management. And this after you subscribed to the repos using zypper or YaST > Sofware > Repositories.
Often it is best to disable such a repos after you installed from tem to avoid problems in the future. Only enable them whe you are sure there is a newer and better version to replace your current one. To many repos enabled can bring your dependancies to mess.

STABLE is as the word says though to be a place for stable software. The one with home in it is just a place where people can offer you software build by themselves using the openSUSE build service.

Some clarifications first:

These are ordinary repositories, by moving upwards in their directory you’ll see the usual i586/ / noarch/ / repodata/ etc. -structure. All of them can be used just as oss, update or Packman (but in most cases should not).

Not true - it does not matter wether a package is installed by YaST, zypper or plain rpm, rpm will always be the primary package manager and therefore knows all (or at least should). I suppose you mix that up with ‘make install’, which actually installs packages without interacting with rpm (which is a huge disadvantage, of course). rpm has another disadvantage, though: it can check for missing dependencies, but since it does not work with repositories, it will not fetch them itself. That’s why one usually recommends YaST or zypper.

We should point out that many of those home:-repos are badly maintained and / or contain beta or even alpha software. You should have an idea about the maintainer and his / her way to manage the respective packages before using any of them (depending on the package even one install could cause great harm to an otherwise well running systems). There are good home:repositories, but there is no rule how to judge them, since anyone can set them up. When in doubt, do not use them - in the case of fail2ban there’s no need to use dubious sources at all, since it is provided by Packman.

btw fail2ban… may I ask for what reason you set this up? This is a typical server-application, and in case (just in case!) you actually run a server here, please shut it down. If it’s not a server, you do not need something like fail2ban anyway (actually there are many admins who say that fail2ban even increases the risk of an attack, since it is yet another application which could be hacked).

I may have expressed myself a bit unprecise. I want to bring the message to the OP that on openSUSE you use YaST/zyper to install, when that is not applicable, one reverts to rpm, next step is creating from a tarball and next is copying executables and hope and pray.

The URL the OP provided is just a bunch of rpms. One level up and it is a repository.

When there are openSUSE compatible repos use YaST/zypper and do not dig down in the repos until you find some rpm and then use rpm.

And within the available repos use OSS, NON-OSS, Update, Packman and then down to some STABLEs and the like and the rest to your own risk.

When there are openSUSE compatible repos use YaST/zypper and do not dig down in the repos until you find some rpm and then use rpm.

There are scenarios when someone would actually use one or just a couple of packages from one repository without being interested to use this repository again (and let’s not forget there are some single .rpms who are not provided by a repository at all), and in those cases I find rpm at least being better than oneclickers (faster, no repos added by default) - the actual installation is in no way different from using zypper (as long as all dependencies are met). This needed to be clarified, since you seemed to doubt about whether an install via rpm will let YaST know about the install (while zypper / YaST always use rpm’s database anyway).

I do strongly agree with your [zyppper/YaST|rpm|compile]-hierarchy, of course. When following this (and using a sane list of repos), most common hassles will not even occur at all.

I know that YaST knows when I did an rpm by rpm. But even in that case I prefer to let Yast do the rpm :slight_smile:

But I think the thread is now going in the direction of my understanding of software install. What I tried, is to get the OP start with a way that must probable lead to less problems. I know there are people who are able to compile everything from scratch, but I do not think that that is the method we should advise here to start with.

When the OP says he is using a repos and in fact he is not using it as a repos but the individual RPMs, my interpretation is that he is missing some essential insight. That may be an error on my side. But sometimes one has to make assumptions on the other sites knowledge/insight. This often goes wrong >:(

When the OP says he is using a repos and in fact he is not using it as a repos but the individual RPMs, my interpretation is that he is missing some essential insight.

True, since he quotes full paths to single .rpms. I also mentioned the missing Packman-repository, so I vaguely guess jcdoles repositories are not set up at all - jcdole: a good set of repositories and regular updates will make your system much more secure than something like fail2ban.

Hello.

To answer your previous question, I am installing an home server for centralizing :

-) Samba as PDC for connecting windows laptop
-) backup for everyone
-) mail for everyone ( and fetching from multi ISP )
-) web server if necessary in future

So I am starting with a document “The perfect server …” from Till Brehm. After a fresh install, there is some package to install.

Generally the package are installed by using the command :

rpm -i http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/server:/xxxxxx/openSUSE_11.0/i586/yyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.i586.rpm

Other by the command

yast2 -i aaaaaaaaaa bbbbb ccccccccc ddddddd

And some else by

tar xvfz uuuuuuu.tar.gz
./configure
make
make install

So I would like to keep the software uptodate.

Thank you for your help.

Post Scriptum.

I must say that distro/repo/oss and non oss is configured to update periodically automatically. My question is about the other sofware that I may install through different manners.