Replacing packman without flatpaks is a nightmare

Thanks :slight_smile: Yep I discussed that a lil bit in the OP. That library was rejected from Factory some years ago due to patents, but in 2026 there are no patents applicable to it (two expired, one revoked) and it could probably be added. Then pipewire can be built with that library and ship the aptx codec, which involves a package change and also project configuration change for Factory. But it seems extremely doable.

I used to use a VM (boxes from gnome will do just fine) with debloated win 11 with some addons to access ancient 32 bit windows games. Might be worth exploring. Easiest approach in my case. And just gets the job done.

Can you give an example?

I’m no expert streamer, but shouldn’t installing/using google chrome solve these issues? Add their repo, install, enjoy?

I’m not into this but entering “OBS discord twitch” in duckduckgo gives me more tutorials than there are stars in the sky? Furthermore OBS has an official flatpak (that you don’t want to use). Maybe give it a shot?

@pallaswept your expectations are unrealistic, I have to throw it back to you and ask (yet again) what codecs don’t work for you.

Just all codecs is an unrealistic expectation, if you want that the head over to Fluendo and pay/subscribe to the annual license fee and move on.

1 Like

It’s not unrealistic to want this. Practically every distro has it, because practically every user expects it.

I can head over to some other distro like literally everyone I know and contribute there instead. But I’m TRYING to give opensuse a shot at being serious about this.

Stop with the gaslighting copium. Every single thread about this is the same nonsense.

Fluendo don’t sell to consumers anymore.

Regarding cut scenes in games, you probably need to move to Proton GE/Proton CachyOS.

2 Likes

@pallaswept Stop being obtuse, no one can help unless you define what codecs you need.

Suggest you move on, openSUSE has what openSUSE has, that’s how it is…

5 Likes

No, the point is that I never know what someone is going to send, I just know that I want to be able to play it when they do. Or if they request a certain format of me, same-same. This isn’t just about solving a problem I have now, this is about avoiding problems I might have in the future.

No, some sites use codecs that are patent encumbered.

Yes and they all operate under the reasonable presumption that you haven’t explicitly removed parts of the normal toolchain.

Ultimately, the way I see it, the issue here is the word “all”. That is simply not descriptive or precise enough, because nobody can say “well, here’s a package/source/repo/whatever with every possible codec technology, updated whenever someone comes up with a new one, including the most obscure ones you could possibly think of.”

Without specific enumeration, there’s no way for anyone to reliably be able to tell you where to get what you need, because there’s always going to be a “well, what about this one?” response in the wings.

Case in point:

How is anyone supposed to advise you on how to solve your friend’s issue without more details - such as even which game they were trying to run?

Moreover, how is anyone supposed to even start to put together a set of instructions for you without knowing what the issues are that you and your friends are seeing?

“All of them” is not sufficient. Sorry. That leaves wiggle room for arguing about “well, you didn’t include information about where to get a codec for VDOWave” - which has no native open-source Linux decoder at all (as far as I can find). How abotu Dolby Vision Profile 5/7? That requires really specific hardware to even work. Or maybe you want support for Sony ATRAC, a proprietary codec used for MiniDiscs and the Playstation Portable, which apparently has heavy encryption and proprietary DRM logic.

I mean, pray you never need any of those very obscure formats, amirite? Because when you say “all”, you’re including these, which sorry, are probably not going to happen.

So yes, you need to be specific about which codecs you are wanting to find out how to solve for - otherwise you’re asking a question that has no bound and always is going to be subject to “well, what about this one”?

And you may not like Flatpak, but it serves a purpose. Part of the reason flatpaks are so big is because they are self-contained with all of the dependencies resolved. Need a codec that requires a specific no-longer-maintained version of a library? Good luck with finding that natively implemented - because no-longer-maintained libraries might include security issues. So then you’re in a situation of “do we provide that dependency that’s compromised so Pallaswept can have his codec, or do we upset him by prioritizing security over completeness?” - and I know what’s most likely to be chosen there.

4 Likes

For gaming specifically as far as I know codecs don’t pass through from the OS to Steam’s sandboxing anyway, on CachyOS their specific version of Proton packages the required codecs, so I think the solution to that would be the same here?

Isn’t this basically what RPMFusion does? (I haven’t used Packman, so can’t speak to that).

1 Like

Pretty sure RPMfusion won’t have some of the obscure codecs I mentioned, some of which have no open source implementation at all.

But as that’s a Fedora resource, I don’t know much about it, as I haven’t used anything by RedHat since the early 2000s.

ETA: A quick search shows that RPMfusion doesn’t include Cisco’s x264 codec, as the Cisco license doesn’t permit redistribution.

1 Like

Maybe use distrobox? Choose the distro of your linking as a host in your opensuse distro?

The gaslighting just dont quit around here. We all know what “all” the codecs means.

The context here is the removal of packman and the packages it supplies, to substitute the packages which are expressly limited in Factory. I even expressly defined this already:

Nothing I have said even vaguely suggests that I want literally every codec known to man available all of a sudden. You’re gaslighting and you know it.

You’re not, I said that already.

But here’s you going off the rails imagining up problems with codecs that never existed on packman in some weak attempt to gaslight. I see what you’re doing and I’m calling you out.

And here’s the administrators deliberately trolling. Tumbleweed is going to be a real ironic distro name at this rate.

Kinda. Packman is basically our equivalent of RPMFusion. Like RPMFusion, there’s a lot of other stuff packman takes care of, like out-of-tree drivers for wifi to pick one example a friend came across (another new cachy recruit). Unfortunately we can’t make any progress in this conversation beyond codecs because its devolved into the same counterproductive nonsense we’ve seen in all the others which I specifically asked people not to troll with here and have seen almost nothing but exactly that.

That’s no longer my problem, I’m out.

I see. I’d maybe verify that you need the 32 bit parts of the VLC repo because I think you would need a version of proton that includes built codecs anyway, so that might get you some of the way there.

If you are going to just accuse people of gaslighting, then we can end this discussion right here, right now.

I (and others) are attempting to engage in a constructive manner, and you are making accusations rather than just answering the questions being put forward.

If you want to have a discussion, have a discussion.

7 Likes

In this case the only viable alternative for me would be to look for another site.

3 Likes

Packman has been providing the codecs until now. I don’t think anybody expects “we” to start providing them. As with any other distribution this should be at user discretion when adding external repos.

So do splints and plaster arm casts.

So Iet’s say that someone wants x264 hardware acceleration for multiple apps without multiple flatpak app installs? Gee, it seems that you are now out of luck and much better off going with another distro which “we’d” probably prefer since Packman generated redundant support requests and “we” probably didn’t see the need for it or the users it brought to Tumbleweed even before flatpak was a viable option.

As a sidebar: does Steam require 3rd party codecs to be installed on the host OS? I believed that codec support was inside whatever flavour of Proton you used to run your titles.

As has been stated in other topics on this subject, the Packman maintainers are willing to help anyone who wants to take over the maintenance, so that option is certainly available.

Flatpaks provide a way for packagers to package something that works across multiple distributions. That is very different than a splint or a plaster arm cast (both of which I have had the misfortune to have in my lifetime). Some packagers choose to use Flatpaks specifically because they don’t have to maintain packages for the large number of distributions out there, and they make their packages easier to support.

So let’s be real here - Flatpaks may have issues, but they are by no means a ‘band-aid’. They solve a real problem in the Linux world, much like AppImages do. Don’t like it? Come up with a better solution that works for those who want that level of compatibility and maintainability across multiple distributions.

They are welcome to step up and help continue what Packman has provided historically, or to use the Videolan repository, but if they want to know more about how those are built, then they need to ask the people who actually build the packages. Those people are not here AFAIK.

Everyone here needs to remember that (a) this is a user-to-user support forum, and most of the packagers aren’t here (a few are, but by and large, you’re not going to find many people who build packages for the distribution here), and (b) the openSUSE project, like amy open source projects, is a do-ocracy. Those who want things need to step up, not expect others to take care of it for them. There are certainly users who want things that the project doesn’t provide (such as patent-encoded codecs or other non-open software), and arguing with people here isn’t going to change that. Asking for help, or asking how they can help - that’s a much more productive approach.

7 Likes