That’s not what I meant. Please don’t assume ill intent on my part. It’s hard enough to get a point across in writing without the default stance being that the person you’re talking to has ill intent (at least up to the point that it’s demonstrably so).
I was commenting on the last sentence you write: “As we know the project doesn’t provide for that.” You know that, but many users don’t know/don’t care, they just want access to everything for free.
I wish the world worked that way, I really do. It doesn’t, and when we end up dealing with patent-encumbered technology, DRM, and other things that are by their very nature closed-source and provided under restrictive licenses, those who follow the law (as SUSE and, by extension, the openSUSE project does) get painted as being “difficult” because they made a choice to respect other peoples’ IP because, in part, that makes it easier for them to make the case for respecting open source software licenses.
I want users to use Linux, do not get me wrong on this.
but probably you want them to use it the way you do.
I’m going to ask you not to assume you know my mind. I assure you, you do not. I have been around the tech industry long enough to know that everyone has their use cases, and that my use cases are not the same as everyone else’s. That is why, for example, when people start asking questions about “which DE is better”, I have for years pointed out that it’s a personal choice, dictated by how a person works and what their preferences are, and the only real way to know for you is to try them and see what works for you. Because “best” is subjective when it comes to user experience.
There comes a point where the decision to use Linux means you’re taking on some additional need to learn
I’ve tried to learn not to want Packman but I’m kind of slow after all my years solving problems without assistance except for some Nvidia related issues.
I’ve learned in my lifetime that life is largely about learning. Trying new things and seeing what works and what doesn’t.