Repair Boot Loader

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to repair the boot loader of my Opensuse 11.1 without having to do a DVD repair.

The thing is I did a install of windows 7 on my laptop knowing full well that my bootloader was going to be changed. But the opensuse DVD i had was too damaged to work. (didn’t know that one)

Now I can’t access my iso to burn a new one.

There are a number of ways. You could boot your suse system using Super Grub Disk: Super Grub Disk Homepage
Then redo the bootloader from suse.

Mmm a bit of a pickle. Do you have any live or old Suse distro’s around.

If live then a boot and command line grub but you need to be aware of where and proper mounting. Same with old Suse it should get you to a cli prompt then from there you should be able to do a manual grub install. Otherwise one of the grub rescue disks, seen a few recommendations around. i.e something like Super Grub Disk Homepage

I tired an older 11.0 Live disk but it did not mount it properly.

I’m trying super grub disk now. Will report with my findings:)

Thanks guys

super grub doesn’t fix my problem

Can anyone show me how to do it from a live CD?

Super grub should help you boot your installed suse system, did you try it?

yes, it kept crashing everytime i selected it to boot a linux partion. I don’t know why:(

Can’t you boot the live cd and either shift the DVD .iso to where you can burn it in windows or if you have 2 dvd drives maybe you can burn from the live cd.
I have never repaired from a live cd. Wait for help from someone who can give better advice, or try as I suggest above.
I was working with super grub disk the other day in a sandbox and it was pretty darn good.

Booting a live cd will also confirm you still have all your linux intact :open_mouth:

the live cd wrks. I can see the partion but not mont. need help with mount commands

su
password is blank I think in live cd

eg: but your device might be sdb and or 1, or 2 or whatever
mount /dev/sda1

I don’t think you’ll need a mount point
eg;
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

while i was waiting on a reply i tried super grub disk one more time.

I got inside to boot my linux partion. I hit enter but i got an error saying "invalid or unsuported executable format.

Does this mean anything

Inside it runs

set out_Device=(hd0,5)

set aux)part=(hd0,5)
rootnoverify (hd0,5)
chainloader +1

See this tutorial on how to overwrite the windows bootloader code in the MBR with a new Grub boot, using a live CD:
Five ways to boot openSUSE when Grub is broken or missing
In particular use the variant titled: “Reinstall Grub in the Master Boot Record and link it to the existing Grub menu in openSUSE”

Hope that helps.

I’m not sure and I just don’t have time at the moment to try it myself, I have to logout. I’ll check in again early tomorrow and I’ll mess up a system to try it.
If you work something out. Let us know.

OK guys, I went to that tutorial site and run the find /boot/grub/menu.lst

File not found

So i guess, my GRUB is gone. So I will have to get a DVD and install.

Since i have to redownload the DVD in the windows partion that actually works…Can I use a 64bit OS instead of the 32bit

Will i be able to run the same things and keep the same files and stuff?

OK guys i really hated to this but I had to re-install my boot partion. So I fortunately still have my data but need to install all my apps :frowning:

I’m running on KDE: 4.2.86 (KDE 4.2.86 (KDE 4.3 >= 20090514)) "release 125

Is that 4.3???!!

Yes that is 4.3, which means you are using the factory which is beta. if you find it too buggy you can always change your repo’s to the 4.2.3 ones.

Index of /repositories/KDE:/42/openSUSE_11.1
Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.1_KDE_42

ok thanks. It looks really good now though. How long will this remain in beta again?

Schedules/KDE4/4.3 Release Schedule - KDE TechBase

I see, Well thanks for the help guys:)