Rename /dev/video1

Hi,

I want to rename /dev/video1 to /dev/webcam0. I have found a way to create symlink using udev, but video1 is also created and Skype does not recognize webcam0 (still shows in the device list /dev/video1)

How to rename /dev/video1?

Thanks

On 10/24/2012 12:56 PM, tosiara wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I want to rename /dev/video1 to /dev/webcam0. I have found a way to
> create symlink using udev, but video1 is also created and Skype does not
> recognize webcam0 (still shows in the device list /dev/video1)
>
> How to rename /dev/video1?
>
> Thanks
>
>
please tell us what you are trying to accomplish…

or give us a clue to what is the problem you want to fix…rather than
asking how to implement your proposed solution (rename a device) to the
problem…

from what you have written it sounds like maybe you have two video
inputs and want to change skype to use webcam0 and not video1…is that
close?

or, maybe the problem is you can’t video call with skype? or?

dd

I have two video devices: tv tuner and webcam. The devices are being detected randomly. One day tv tuner is video0, and another it can be video1. As a result I need to reconfigure Skype and tvtime every time indexes are changing.

That’s why I want to give the webcam some fixed name, like, /dev/webcam0

Partially solved (found workaround for Skype).
Skype searches for video*, so you need to create symlink not as webcam0, but something like video99. Then new device will appear in options camera pick list
The same way you can create symlink for tv tuner and use tvtime.xml config option: (option name=“V4LDevice” value="/dev/video88"/)

My rule for webcam: SUBSYSTEM==“video4linux”, ENV{ID_SERIAL}==“my_serial”, SYMLINK+=“video99”

Hope this helps

Hi,

This is actually a fairly common issue that crops up. First and foremost, you don’t want to rename the /dev/video* files – these are special “character devices”, which get created automagically. Here is some more background information: Device nodes and character devices - LinuxTVWiki

I’ve seen a whole number of different ways (some simple, some elaborate) that people go about solving this problem, so googling should provide many answers. As an example, here’s a quick hit: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+bug/310820

Personally, I’d think that a by-ID approach would be the best (as in eloquent and robust) approach.

Good luck (looks like you are already making some progress)