Remove GRUB Stage 1.5 Output

Just installed openSUSE. Used it for a while about a year and a half back, but didn’t stick. Yeah, I’m sort of a distro hopper. :slight_smile:

To the problem at hand: On my laptop, I am dual booting Windows 7 and openSUSE. However, before the GRUB menu appears, there is an ancient looking console output for a while which says:

GRUB loading... Stage 1.5
GRUB loading, please wait...

I don’t want it to appear. Is there a way?

I have an off-topic question as well. Is openSUSE still using Legacy GRUB? I come from a Ubuntu background and I thought by now everyone must have switched to GRUB2. Seems it’s not the case… I just visited /boot/grub and found the good old menu.lst there, I had almost completely forgotten how to deal with one of those… So, does openSUSE plan to shift to GRUB2 in future?

grub2 is now in the repos. However, there isn’t a way of specifying that it be used for booting. At present that’s a Do It Yourself project.

Either the boot loader (stage1) is in the MBR and it just tells you that it’s going to load stage 1.5 (the part of Grub stored on the first track before any partition) or it is in a partition bootsector, waits for stage 1.5, doesn’t find it (because there is no stage 1.5 when you install Grub in a partition boot sector), loads stage2 from your root partition and displays the Grub menu. The output you see is normal.

Look away for a couple seconds …

On 2011-12-19 02:36, zia-newversion wrote:

> Code:
> --------------------
> GRUB loading… Stage 1.5
> GRUB loading, please wait…
> --------------------
>
> I don’t want it to appear. Is there a way?

Not that I know. You should get a splash screen anyway.

> So, does openSUSE
> plan to shift to GRUB2 in future?

In the far future, perhaps. No current plans.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Dear sir, with all due respect, after about 4 years of Linux experience, I am positive that I am savvy with the surface-level functioning of several stages of GRUB. The actual query of interest, to which your answer was:

is, I am afraid to say, still unresolved. Looking away doesn’t suppress the said output on screen. :slight_smile:

It’s easy to solve with your 4 years Linux experience. Delete the strings starting with “GRUB loading…” in Grub source and recompile. You can also replace them with “I have 4 years Linux experience, I fear nobody” if it makes you happy. :wink: