Remove Grub Bootloader

Any help appreciated. I am dual booting Windows 7 & Suse 11.2 and want to uninstall Suse. I know how to remove the linux partitions through windows but need help to first remove the Grub bootloader installed through Yast to enable windows to boot from mbr.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Go to YaST -> System -> Boot Manager and restore MBR

VampirD

Microsoft Windows is like air conditioning
Stops working when you open a window.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.12 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAkuhM80ACgkQJQ+0ABWtaVmR8gCfcqWpGSm5IB0mBBTtOvjHa/6S
OsYAn0DwNY5n6Yt9wG0TPVn5mSKqZCPO
=dHDk
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Re:Go to YaST -> System -> Boot Manager and restore MBR.Tried this with no change, after restart Grub bootloader appeared again!

Do you have a Windows Disk of some sort? You should be able to repair the MBR from that.

Hi,

Download “Parted Magic” from source forge. It is an iso image for bootable linux cd with various hard drive tools. Choose the first option on the menu and let it load. Click on the Partition editor icon on the desktop to open Gparted partitioning program. Select your windows partition and add the boot flag to that partition.

You should now be happy in booting windows.

henkasdf

That’s not enough. You have to replace the Grub code in the MBR with the microsoft code. You can do that from within Parted Magic disk with the ms-sys utility. But IMHO the first thing the OP should try is the repair utilities in the win7 installation DVD, as suggested by gogalthorp

Well hopefully you were able to solve this problem by now. Here is what I did when removing YaSt2 for SuSe 11.2 which behaved like a virus on my system:

run the Bootrec.exe tool:

1. Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
  2. Press a key when you are prompted.
  3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
  4. Click Repair your computer.
  5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
  6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
  7. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

Note To start the computer from the Windows Vista or Windows 7 DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer or contact the computer manufacturer.
Back to the top
Bootrec.exe options
The Bootrec.exe tool supports the following options. Use the option that is appropriate for your situation.

Note If rebuilding the BCD does not resolve the startup issue, you can export and delete the BCD, and then run this option again. By doing this, you make sure that the BCD is completely rebuilt. To do this, type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:

* bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
* c:
* cd boot
* attrib bcd -s -h -r
* ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
* bootrec /RebuildBcd