remote desktop for slave nodes

I am adding a second box to my micro cluster - is there a good DIY on remote desktop from one OpenSuSE 12.1 box to another? (I don’t want to have two keyboards, screens, mice or a KVM switch if I don’t have to) I’ve done this before with !machine but the slave computers always had their own monitor, etc. I was wondering if there is a trick tool that is bullet proof for clusters.

THANKS!
Patricia

Do you need to open remote desktop sessions to other computers in your lan? Is that what you’re looking for?

Hi Please: I was just trying to add a second box to a mini-cluster and was hoping to control that box via the same ethernet cable that will be supporting the MPICH communication between the machines - so I was just trying to avoid using a KVM switch when I boot the second computer. (I’ve had a lot of trouble with KVM switches over the years.) I wound up adding a 2nd mouse, hot-plugging the USB kbd between the two machines, and my monitor has both VGA and DVI inputs, so I have both connected to the same monitor and just switch between input ports. Once I get MPICH set up correctly, I will almost never actually log on to the slave node - but first I have to figure out how to get MPICH going :\ I’ve used MPICH and OpenMPI before, but always on a single multi-CPU node - never with an actual IP connection.

I don’t know. Sorry. But I agree that KVM switches are a nightmare (and I still have too many around me).

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 15:16:01 GMT, PattiMichelle
<PattiMichelle@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>Hi Please: I was just trying to add a second box to a mini-cluster and
>was hoping to control that box via the same ethernet cable that will be
>supporting the MPICH communication between the machines - so I was just
>trying to avoid using a KVM switch when I boot the second computer.
>(I’ve had a lot of trouble with KVM switches over the years.) I wound
>up adding a 2nd mouse, hot-plugging the USB kbd between the two
>machines, and my monitor has both VGA and DVI inputs, so I have both
>connected to the same monitor and just switch between input ports. Once
>I get MPICH set up correctly, I will almost never actually log on to the
>slave node - but first I have to figure out how to get MPICH going :\
>I’ve used MPICH and OpenMPI before, but always on a single multi-CPU
>node - never with an actual IP connection.

Personally i use ssh. As a matter of fact i am ssh’ing into the box that
is running this usenet reader.

?-)