Reinstall problems

Hello all, brand new to openSuse here.

Alright system is: a Dell Dimension 8400 w/ 3.00 GHz Pentium 4 hyperthreader, 1.5 GB RAM, ATI 128MB graphics, and two hard drives: 80GB and 150 GB. Used to have Windows XP.

I am using the Gnome Live CD.
I installed it all successfully, but when messing around with the display settings, I changed the resolution from 1280x1024 to something larger. My monitor is attached with DVI and suddenly declared that it could not display the image. So I was stuck with a blank screen. Rebooting presented me with first the boot menu (which seems to run in 800x600), then just another blank screen.

I tried connecting the monitor using a VGA cable, changing the settings and then rebooting, but that didn’t seem to work.

I tried booting through failsafe mode and changing the resolution using xrandr, but an error came up, something to do with the display not being available.

I tried reinstalling openSuse, but that now gives me error 1014, something about drives being mounted.

2 hard drive symbols popped up on the liveCD desktop, which i right clicked and unmounted, but running the install program again just got the same error.

Is there some way to reformat the hard drives or erase the data that got put on from the first installation so I can reinstall everything?

I am really mad at myself that this all came about just cause I couldn’t get the display to work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

On a side note, this is how I have been partitioning the hard disks: remember i have a 80GB(sda)and a 150GB(sdb)

sdb2…110.0GB…ext3…/extra (just extra storage space)
sdb3…35.04GB…FAT…/windows/C (just in case I need to transfer files)

is that fine or would you guys recommend something else? I wasn’t really sure how big I should make everything, but I did read somewhere that the swap was supposed to be twice the size of the RAM and preferably on the second disk…


Ok so I think I solved the problem.
I booted up the LiveCD again and went through the installation process, but this time I ignored all the errors that came up. YaST kept running in the background and installed everything.