Refugee from CentOS

Hi all,

As some of you may know, Red Hat have just killed off the traditional form of CentOS. I’m sure I’ll not be the last one exploring alternative options! My background is sysadmin/system programming, right back to VAX/VMS, then Alphas, then onto UNIX with SGI kit, then to SuSE, then to Red Hat and finally to CentOS. I’m now retired due to a combination of redundancy and ill health.

For many years I ran my home machine on OpenSuSE and similar, but for the last 10 years have been using CentOS to mirror the work machines. My home machine is both my desktop, and a server for the family providing DNS, DHCP, Samba, NFS, OwnCloud, DokuWiki and virtual machines through KVM. For some time now I’ve had a Tumbleweed VM running as a test bed, but I’ve just converted it to Leap to see if Leap will provide a replacement for the host OS. The first problem I’ve found is that there seems to be no support for cockpit which I use to keep track of the nearly a dozen VMs I use from time to time. So, time for a few questions:

1. I’ve seen talk about Leap and Jump. Is SuSE Leap going to remain available as a stable server quality OS?
  2. Is there a list anywhere of acceptable repositories (similar to EPEL on REHL)?
  3. If cockpit is not available, what is its replacement?

Thanks, that’ll do for the moment.

Welcome aboard. I’ve been expecting some CentOS people might try openSUSE.

Hi and Welcome to the Forum :slight_smile:
Well we have the openSUSE Build Service openSUSE Build Service, then the search engine openSUSE Software

I see cockpit is built by a few Community users here for Leap: openSUSE Software

Generally the development repositories (AKA Experimental) feed to Tumbleweed, but alot do build for the other releases, users tend to add these repositories and install their desired applications.

For home user repositories, YMMV :wink:

For multimedia, then you need to head off to the Third party packages/repackagers Packman, this is covered off here: https://forums.opensuse.org/forumdisplay.php/670-Multimedia

It’s interesting to read that the CentOS founder Gregory Kurtzer has moved quickly to start a new project (to replace the vacuum) called Rocky Linux…

Rocky Linux aims to function as a downstream build as CentOS had done previously, building releases after they have been added by the upstream vendor, not before.

Yes,

I’m certain Rocky Linux will take the Vast majority of isntalls and will be made the default OS on most dedicated servers and even Hosting services.

The move from RedHat simply killed the entire project Objective.
Most people wanted to have a RedHat Server clone … not a development system for RedHat to test things.
I’ve seen mentioned on several openSuSE meetings the possibility that I think it is now a Huge Market opportunity to make available the same CentOS project but for SLES.
If SuSE is smart and knows how to remain relevant and even increase their OS market share …this is It!! Time to allow a CentOS version of SLES with the exact same long term support …
People moving away from CentOS alone would give an instant Boost to SLES-clone market.

I think that describes openSUSE Leap. It’s what I’ve been using.

No, we don’t have anything that’s directly comparable to EPEL… we don’t have a repository for more advanced Enterprise functionality.
But, for every application, technology and in some cases special interest, there are special repositories in a subdirectory of https://download.opensuse.org/repositories (A person can browse the many hundreds of repositories with a web browser if they wish).
The general approach is that if your needs are met by default packages and application versions, the default OSS and Update repositories can often provide everything you need.
But, if you’re looking for a different version of something (typically later/latest than stable or the version previous than stable default), then it’s usually available in one of these repositories.
Most people won’t actually browse the repository forest, you can search for whatever you want or need at Search (highly recommended is to use the openSUSE branded FF which will have the MIME extension to support "One Click Install) which will either support automatically setting you up with the necessary repo or provide instructions for those who want to set up manually.

Something else to keep in mind is that openSUSE and Fedora development has some kind of informal understanding, packages often have the same name which can make using Fedora based guides or instructions almost if not exactly identical. RHEL is a bit different because of its EPEL repository, but I’ve generally not had problems locating the appropriate package by either package name or using the zypper “which provides” option.
Speaking of which… It shouldn’t take long for you to recognize how much easier it is to use our zypper command line package management tool than yum or dnf.

Those are the main observations about EPEL and how it’s different to set up Enterprise versions of apps on openSUSE (the philosophy on openSUSE is that everything is Enterprise capable although default setups are geared mostly towards SOHO). You’ll find questions in these Forums how to set up to Enterprise requirements instead of the default from time to time but the components are typically the same.

Only other thing I can think of regarding RHEL Enterprise setups is that we don’t have an Enterprise tuned kernel.

TSU

For several years now, openSUSE had not had a LTS version, but I see that the next version 15.3 is considered a candidate for reviving the idea.
Currently SLES and openSUSE are supposed to be on the same release track, so there wouldn’t be a difference in that way… SLES can be a time saving and economic choice for those who want paid support and built in tools to that can make deployment easier. Also, if you have a special interest in Kubernetes, the SLES documentation for Kubic is much better and fits better than setting up on openSUSE.

LEAP can be considered “conservative” compared to Tumbleweed in its upgrades by backporting new kernel features and patches at the discretion of maintainers, but a new released is still released every 12-18 mths or so with continued support approx 6 mths after a new release… So, as you can see it’s not something you can sit on for 5 years or so like CentOS was.

You might also be interested in Transaction Server which is a installation option for both Tumbleweed and LEAP which makes your system providing public services to a hostile network nearly impossible to hack… Once a Transaction Server has booted, nothing can be written to disk, all updates and other changes are paused and not installed until the next system reboot, and is fully supported by BTRFS snapshots and automatic recovery to undo undesirable changes.

TSU

You want to run Cockpit on openSUSE?

https://software.opensuse.org/package/cockpit

I wrote the following Wiki article mostly for missing dependencies but to a certain extent applies to apps, too.

https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Missing_Files_Dependencies

You might also find useful my slide deck for my presentation on openSUSE which covers the installation (particularly if you want to install a DE that’s not Gnome, KDE/Plasma or XFCE) and first steps after install

http://slides.com/tonysu/opensuse

TSU