red font for app version in Yast2 search results

The Yast page at Suse.com says that font color changes are explained at Help/Symbols, but nothing there tells me what a red font means when it appears as the version number for an application after a search. I’m embarrassed that it might be so obvious that I should know. I ask because the version of FileZilla is red and this app won’t start any more, after an “upgrade.”

if I’m not mistaken red means that there is an updated version in the update repo ie you are using an old version from a 3rd party repo
zypper does not update across different repositories you need to change them manually with yast or with zypper using the --from switch
you could try

zypper se FileZilla

and see what pops up
edit I might have gotten it otherway around red might mean you have a newer version from a 3rd party repo, the reason it does not start is that it needs updated components not available in the main or the update repo for that you’d need to do a vendor change to the repo from where you got it from, you could try launching filezilla from a terminal and see the errors that pop up

Deleted FileZilla from Yast2, then searched for FileZilla and nothing was found. The active repositories are the main 42.1, the OSS and update, and the non-OSS and update. Which told me that somehow Packman has disappeared. Added Packman and searched again for FileZilla–nothing found. The copy I had came from the Mozilla web site, as I recall, because I had the same situation before the last upgrade (no FileZille found in Yast).
With FZ uninstalled, didn’t try from a CLI.

Said slightly differently, the package versions available from the enabled repos on your system are older then what you’ve installed. To this point, a few nuanced reasons also exist:

• the package you have installed is simply not available form any of your enabled repos … which, I guess, could be considered a special case of the above point
  • Also, the package might have undergone a downgrade since you originally installed it (Packman does this apparently, or, at least, so I’ve read), hence you now have a newer version then what is now available in the repo … in which case, if the package was borked and pulled from the repo for good reason, the red text would also be indicative of the need to downgrade to a stable package

You can always look on the version tab (bottom right) That tells what is available from where

I have 3.12.0.2 from regular openSUSE repo but I am on 42.2. But it should be on 42.1 also

Red means that the package in current version is no longer available. If a version between brackets is indicated, it means a downgrade or architecture change is present. If no version between bracktets, the package is simply no longer present in your configured repos.
Blue means an update/newer version is available.

FileZilla is available from the main the update and from several home repo’s
https://software.opensuse.org/package/filezilla
I think you probobly installed an updated version from a user’s home repo which required updated packages not available from the oss or the update repo and that’s why it didn’t work you probobly didn’t add the user repo so the package was in red, a yast search should have given you 3.12.0.2 maybe your local mirror or your repo’s are broken, tell us your repo list

zypper lr -d

Looks like I have two Packman repos–don’t know how :frowning:

> zypper lr -d

| Alias | Name | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh | Priority | Type | Service

—±------------------------------------±----------------------------------------±--------±----------±--------±---------±------------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | ftp.gwdg.de-suse | Packman Repository | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-mdb/linux/packman/suse/openSUSE_Leap_42.1/ |
2 | http-download.opensuse.org-74d5eae1 | home:Herbster0815 | No | ---- | No | 99 | rpm-mduse.org/repositories/home:/Herbster0815/openSUSE_Leap_42.1/ |
3 | http-ftp.uni-erlangen.de-ccda4969 | Packman Repository | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-mden.de/pub/mirrors/packman/suse/openSUSE_Leap_42.1 |
4 | openSUSE-42.1-0 | openSUSE-42.1-0 | No | ---- | No | 99 | yast2 isk/by-id/ata-TSSTcorp_CDDVDW_TS-L633C_R81D6GEB300399 |
5 | repo-debug | openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Debug | No | ---- | No | 99 | NONE use.org/debug/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/oss/ |
6 | repo-debug-non-oss | openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Debug-Non-Oss | No | ---- | No | 99 | NONE use.org/debug/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/non-oss/ |
7 | repo-debug-update | openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Update-Debug | No | ---- | No | 99 | NONE use.org/debug/update/leap/42.1/oss |
8 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Update-Debug-Non-Oss | No | ---- | No | 99 | NONE use.org/debug/update/leap/42.1/non-oss/ |
9 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Non-Oss | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 use.org/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/non-oss/ |
10 | repo-oss | openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Oss | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 use.org/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/oss/ |
11 | repo-source | openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Source | No | ---- | No | 99 | NONE use.org/source/distribution/leap/42.1/repo/oss/ |
12 | repo-update | openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Update | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-mduse.org/update/leap/42.1/oss/ |
13 | repo-update-non-oss | openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Update-Non-Oss | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-mduse.org/update/leap/42.1/non-oss/ |
k

Does not hurt but can slow down updates a bit best to remove one