recover family picture - can't enter /Home

My parents choose to try OpenSuse 13,2 shortly after it’s the release, on one of there really old computers, and saved some family photos on their hard drive (With Opensuse 32 bit on it).
A couple of week later, the computer had a transition into the motherboard and shorted subsequently.

Now they lost the picture on the other computer, and they would like to get those pictures out of the OpenSuse hard-disk.
The hard-disk is really old and doesn’t support SATA.
So I found an old external hard-disk which had a converter for USB and made the hard-disk up and running again.

But something is wrong, because I can’t get to the Login menu.
I’m letting the computer boot the hard-disk and enter the “openSUSE” from the first menu.
(In the first menu there are 3 options: 1. openSUSE, 2. Advance options for openSUSE, and 3. Start bootloader from a read-only snapshot.)

Now it begins to boot Opensuse, and when I press the ESC botton, I can see what’s is going on.
OK ] Started Show Plymouth Boot Screen.
OK ] Reached target Paths.
OK ] Reached target Basic System.
And that’s what I get. 1 minute later, it’s gives me really quickly a failure and it blacks out immediately.
The recovery mode from “Advance options for openSUSE” does the same.

So I tried another trick.
I booted up on a “Puppy Linux 5.0” CD and tried to get access.
But I was only able to get into one of the two partition, and the /Home was of some reason blocked. I didn’t had the right to access that part of the hard-disk.

Then I booted up on a OpenSuse 13,2 Rescue CD and tried again, this time I was not able to get into any of the two partition.
(Error mounting /dev/sda2 at /run/media/linux/e615e4a2-68d7-46a9-92fe-bb052137e53d: Command-line`mount -t “btrfs” -o “uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid” “/dev/sda2” “/run/media/linux/e615e4a2-68d7-46a9-92fe-bb052137e53d” exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: unknown filesystem type ‘btrfs’)

I tried again later to get into the hard-disk with “Puppy Linux 5.0”, but this time I was not able to get into it at all, just like the OpenSuse 13,2 Rescue CD.

Does anyone have any idea, how to get thouse picture out of that hard-disk ?

why boot that hard disk?
do you have another PC with Linux installed?
if so just plugin that usb and copy the content from the /home partition
if they used ext3/4 there are windows apps that can read/copy the content of those partitions, here’s a freeware ext3/4 reader
http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/
if they used xfs you will need an OS that can read those partitions, the only reason to boot that disk is if they Logical disk’s or encrypted the data, in which case I don’t think you can boot that IDE disk from a usb adapter.

It seams they used XFS for /home and btrfs for /,
Why not get a live opensuse 13.2 DVD boot from it and see if you can access the /home partition
you can get it here
https://software.opensuse.org/132/en
click on the link below network install that says something like Click here to display these alternative versions

You need a live distro or similar that supports btrfs, which is what oS 13.2 uses by default for the root folder.

However, IINM a separate /home folder would default to xfs, another file system, so you’d need support for this if the /home folder is in another partition.

I understand that the standard partitioning would be:

sda1 - swap partition
sda2 - root (/) partition
sda3 - home partition

So you’d probably want to mount the sda3 partition.

HOWEVER (again), IINM (again!), the default partitioning in oS 13.2 will also create a myriad of small partitions for the snapshot/whatever features, that can be confusing for a newbie (and me), and might also depend on if you’re using UEFI/GPT, BIOS/MBR or a mix of this.

To show us your partitions, post the results of

fdisk -l

run as root from a terminal.

Alternatively, you may try a specialized live distro like Magic Parted, a recent version will support these file systems an allow you to copy the pictures to a pen drive.

Note: trying to boot from the old HD directly won’t work, due to change in MB hardware, processor and perhaps even architecture.

Try http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage; there is an introduction to using it at http://www.bradlug.co.uk/system-rescue/. Ideally you should have tried it at the outset and used it to copy the contents of the original hard drive to a usb stick using dd_rescue which gives you an exact copy of the original. You can then plug that into another computer and mount it and read it. This avoids any of the data on the original hard drive being affected by what you do.

Snapper does NOT create partition. BTRFS does what are essentially sub partitions which is a whole different thing are are not seen until you mount the BTRFS partition. BTRFS is kind of a LVM with a file system. ie it is a container that is also a file system. Snapper is a recovery system that takes snap shots and that uses the space on the partition, but it makes no partitions.

In any case using any live version of 13.2 should allow a mount.

Trying to boot is a problem because it is setup for the old hardware and does not know the new. You can deal with that but again it needs a live 13.2 disk/USB in short you mount the root partition and then use chroot to make it the root then run mkinird to rescan the hardware. There are a couple of other steps ask if you plan on that approach. But a simple mount of the home should recover the pics.

Ah, OK, thanks. I haven’t dealt with BTRFS and GPT yet, so I wasn’t clear about the partitioning schema, if any.

But back to the OP problem, I understand the default /home fs is XFS, is that right? If so, and supposing his parents didn’t customise their install, he needs a live disk that support XFS. Then it’s justa a case of mounting the external hd right partition (/sdc, probably) and copying the files to a pendrive or such.

Perhaps, you can try XFS recovery tool from Stellar Phoenix that works well on SUSE platform.

http://www.stellarinfo.com/disk-recovery/xfs-recovery.php

Good luck!!

Hello everyone. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your answers, this week have been very very busy and I’m about to move to a brand new apartment.
But I will give the must of you an answer as soon as possible. :slight_smile:

Crescent.