I just bought an Asus U31F with intel i3 chip, 8 GB ram, 500 GB HD and 8 cells, and too much fail under LInux so I’ve decided to return in.
Any recommendations for replacement where openSUSE 11.4 simply works out of the box?
(Complete specs: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Notebooks - ASUS U31F
Trouble with U31F:
- wifi (had to install drivers and recompile kernel. This took me about 3 days since I’m no linux wizard and had a hard time finding out how to install c++ dev-stuff. WIFI still drops connection now and then),
- X freezes, sometimes I can switch to other terminals (F1, F2 etc) but can’t kill X. Other times that doesn’t work either. But the mouse still moves, I just can’t click on anything.
- fonts are not shown very well (sometimes pixels aren’t shown other times ekstra pixels are shown/hangs around after the letter is deleted. For instance the letter i some times aren’t shown at all and the letter n sometimes look like r and so forth),
- hibernation and sleep doesn’t work,
- can’t controll fan which is noisy when it runs at full speed,
- Mousepad skips and jumps. I have to close the lid to make it work properly again.
I could try to fix all this, but it would take me ages.
So basically not a very suitable machine for linux. Hence I’m looking for something else. )