Recommendation for database developement software

Looking for a recommendation on database development software.
I tried Openoffice Database. The program crashes frequently when establishing relationships. If the data types of the relationship disagree, the program crashes. Also, the screen for establishing relationships is too small. I will probably need about 40 tables, and the Openoffice relationship map can realistically handle only about 12.

Apparently Access is up to the task of the development. Ultimately, I want to convert the developed database into a LAMP Web application. Also, I’m thinking of jobbing out much of the development. Is their an equivalent Linux-based solution, or should I hold my nose and go ahead with Access and Windows?

Depends on the database and your project.
My recommandation is the firebird
database . There are developement platforms for both win and linux.
Obviously with anything new there will
be a learning curve.

:slight_smile:

Parthenolide wrote:
> should I hold my nose and go ahead with Access and Windows?

friends don’t let friends drive drunk, or use Redmond’s expensive and
not as good alternative…

so, i’d recommend you not hold your nose, but instead build up your
patience, put on your thinking cap, explore the new world and go ahead
and build that LAMP the ‘correct’ way from the ground up:

LAMP was coined from the first letters of Linux (operating system),
Apache HTTP Server, MySQL (database software), and PHP, Python or Perl
(scripting language)…

here are almost 3 million ways to get started http://tinyurl.com/ygkfhqc

http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+LAMP+how-to

or 21,000 for the n00b: http://tinyurl.com/yj27prq

now, gimme you car keys! (and you car, because in a life time i just
saved you enough money for you to buy one for me!)

palladium

If you are going to go to LAMP you could get a clean start and use one of those productive frameworks like Rails, which also give you database independence.

A lot depends on what you are going to use the database for. PHP tends to be better if there is going to be a lot of user access via a browser, Rails tends to be better if there is a lot of file access. But you may prefer one type of program to another anyway.

The most recent development is NoSQL which uses a document rather than a table approach; so if unstructured searching is more important, you may prefer to go down the NoSQL route.

The point is: you have a lot more choice in Linux than in Windows and certain combinations will work better for certain purposes than others.

Not sure what you mean by that Rails comment. Rails is a regular MVC web app framework.

Hi,

I would recommend MySQL for the database and PHP for the web connection.

Regards,
Barry Nichols

Where the browser is serving up a lot of content rather than being used primarily for user input.

Rails has no difficulty presenting forms to the user. I’ve even coupled it with Javascript richtext editors and fancy JS Ajax effects. Anything PHP can do, can be done with Rails also.