Recent upgrade question re virtiofsd failure

Well beyond me I did a TW upgrade and received the following error:-

alastair@HP-Z640-1:~> sudo zypper dup
[sudo] password for root: 
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about this command.
Computing distribution upgrade...

The following package is going to be upgraded:
  virtiofsd

1 package to upgrade.
Overall download size: 983.7 KiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, 10.0 B will be freed.
Continue? [y/n/v/...? shows all options] (y): y
Retrieving: virtiofsd-1.10.1-3.1.x86_64 (Main Repository (OSS))                                                                (1/1), 983.7 KiB    
Retrieving: virtiofsd-1.10.1-3.1.x86_64.rpm ...................................................................................[done (505.8 KiB/s)]

Checking for file conflicts: ................................................................................................................[done]
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/libexec/virtiofsd;65e0967a: cpio: File from package already exists as a directory in system
error: virtiofsd-1.10.1-3.1.x86_64: install failed
error: virtiofsd-1.10.1-2.1.x86_64: erase skipped
(1/1) Installing: virtiofsd-1.10.1-3.1.x86_64 ..............................................................................................[error]
Installation of virtiofsd-1.10.1-3.1.x86_64 failed:
Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: Command exited with status 1.
Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a): 

What to do to fix this please?

@Budgie2 there are a number of recent Forum threads on this, try forcing the install zypper -vvv in virtiofsd -f

No joy so far. Will wait and try again later.

@Budgie2 then zypper rm virtiofsd and then re-install virtiofsd and anyhing else that was removed when virtiofsd was deleted.

2 Likes

Renaming the dir and running dup again worked for me.

sudo mv /usr/libexec/virtiofsd /usr/libexec/virtiofsd_broken
sudo zypper dup

Yeah, that’s what I did as well.

sudo zypper rm virtiofsd
sudo zypper in qemu-tools virtiofsd
1 Like

All done and good now thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.