reboot then no boot ?

after completing installation then at next reboot of system i cant boot into kde just a grub screen n den it says error 22 or 21 … cant rememba coz i had the computer turned on for a week now don’t want to turn off coz cant boot up properly

so wuld someone plz be able to teach me how i can make sure boot loader is configured properly before i can turn the system of

Is it possible for you to tell us how you did the installation ?
It might than be possible to tell what wend wrong.
And opensuse has a complete installation guide on her web site
dobby9

i installed from dvd itz suse 11.0 //… what information could i provide you to better help assist with my problem ??

only thing i did different to last time this installation was click lvm n den make a boot partion grub is installed to mbr.>:

Well for instance was initial boot OK ?
Adding a user was that OK ?
Did it make contact with opensuse server ?
dobby9

yes the initial boot was fine setting up users and installing packages was also fine made contact with server okay also

Can you get in the failsafe mode ?
If so login as root and start yast.
Check you hardware and Graphic and monitor in particular ,
if you start this option if will configure you;re graphic card and monitor again.
So yast>hardware>graphic card and monitor
If it is ok save .
Than try startx
dobby9

The errors you saw are from grub. We need to see the contents of several files. This is easier done with a Live-CD (any will do) if you have one, but if only the DVD then boot into Rescue System. Login as root at the prompt. Then do:

fdisk -lu
cat /boot/grub/device.map
cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
cat /etc/grub.conf

I suspect the problem may be with having used LVM. Do you really need and understand LVM?

This is really BAD ADVICE logging in as root can lead to a hosed system

Geoff

so when my computer starts up after installing i’m just looking at a grub screen ? can somebody please tell me which command to use to boot into linux

if sumwun would please tell me any if more information i could provide to better help someone assisting me it wuld be much appreciated

Did you miss my post #9?

You may be able to temporarily boot this way; it depends on what the specific problem is: Try starting the machine to the boot menu, then hit the Escape key. There will be pop-up to confirm going into text menu; hit Enter. Then the menu appears, but just as text. Now hit the ‘c’ key. You will drop into the grub shell with a prompt that looks like this:

grub>

At the prompt type the following and hit Enter:

find /boot/grub/stage2

If grub is able to find the disk and partition where the openSUSE kernel is installed, grub will give you a reply that looks something like this:

(hd0,5)

What it actually will be depends on your partitioning and where you installed. For example, the above actually means partition number 6 on the first disk, or /dev/sda6; usually hd0 = sda, hd1 = sdb, etc. If you use my previous instruction in post #9 to run the fdisk command, you will see your partitioning. If you get this far (and you probably will not if the grub error is 21 or 22), then you would do this:

root (hd0,5)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6
initrd /initrd
boot

In the “root=” command you must type the name of the actual root partition. So again, the above is just an example. The grub “find” command will give you the partition in grub numbering, but you must know the actual partition name for the next line. If you get that far, the system might boot.

His system is already hosed. This is a bad bug inside he installer of opensuse. I have run up against it twice. It doesn’t overwrite the mbr during install. If there is already a boot loader in the mbr it stays there and you can’t boot your system because the boot loader in the mbr has no idea what is in the rest of the system. This is a result of suse being slick and running the installed kernel with kexec instead of doing a normal reboot. If suse had done a normal reboot the problem would have been seen by everybody. But that just isn’t the case. Sometimes slick is not the best way to go about it.

To make things even more fun suse reorders the drive mapping so it doesn’t match the bios order. My system has two ide channels and four sats channels. In the bios the IDE channels are first so my root drive is the master of the first channel. But suse in it’s infinate wisdom has reordered the drives so the sats drive become the first drives in the system, sham on you suse.

The way that this person cn get his system up and running like it should is to wipe the mbe and boot aprtitions and reinstall the system. There probably is a way to do it from grub but because suse has reordered the drives be very careful the you are wiping the correct drive. And following the grub manual will not work because suse doesn’t use hd0 as a proper drive because they have reodered the drives.

Oh one more thing. When I tried to grub grub> find it gave me a file not found error. It think that once your hosed youre hosed.

@dragongdaddy: But you don’t have to make it sound so disastrous, do you? :wink: I mean, if he just installed, he can resinstall without losing much. If I were a new user I might think from your post that my system was completely shot and that linux is the worst thing that ever happened in computing!

I recommend a simple reinstall (but if you’d rather not, by all means follow mingus725’s instructions. I’d probably say it wasn’t worth the trouble and just start over). More than likely this was a fluke and won’t happen again. By the way, did you have a specific purpose for a separate /boot partition?

PS: are you saying the installer never writes to the MBR? I have never had this problem.

yea i don’t rly know whatz rong that just abt sumz it all up but i have reinstalled like 5 times and everytime i reboot after install goes straight to grub console

is there anything i can change for the boot loader during installation

atm this is what i see

optional kernel command line parameter
Resume= /dev/sda1 splash=silent showopts

Kernel image
/boot/vmlinuz

Initial RAM disk
/Boot/initrd

Root Device
/dev/sda2

Yes, of course the YaST installer writes to the MBR; that’s the default. In some conditions if it is installing openSUSE to a primary partition it will leave the Windows boot code intact and just mark the SuSE partition active. There is a constraint introduced with 11.0 where it will only install to the MBR of the boot drive at installation, i.e., it no longer gives the option to install to the MBR of another drive, even if that drive is being installed to.

How the IPL (the master boot code), the disk signature, and the partition table are handled by diff OS versions and tools, and how grub actually works, is poorly understood and very often mis-assumed about. Many times there are multiple variables. And there are often unseen issues caused by the bios. Even commercial vendors struggle with this stuff.

@IDeVillish -

I’m not going to keep offering to help if you do not respond to my posts. We cannot help you without seeing what your partition setup is and without knowing how grub was installed and how it is configured. We need the data I asked for in post #9.

Now look back at my post #13 - I will change those instructions based on what I see in your post #17. Try this:

Start the machine. Do you get a green boot menu? If you do press the Escape key to go to a text menu. At the screen press the ‘c’ key, the screen will change to a prompt like this:

grub>

At that grub> prompt, type this:

root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2
initrd /initrd
boot

If that does not work, boot from the DVD into Rescue System, do the commands I gave you in post #9, and post back the output here. It would be easier for you to do that if you have a Live-CD (any Live-CD will do), but the commands will be different so you will have to tell me if you use a Live-CD.

okay i’m going to do that now so far i’ve reinstalled again n the partitions are
/dev/sda1 2.0gb swap partition
/dev/sda2 20.0gb root partition
/dev/sda3 50.0gb home partition

also there is no windows partitions on the hard disk windows xp is installed on another computer