RE: Installing Linux with XP

Hi Everyone,
Can some1 help in installing SuSe 11.1 on my Existing XP Desktop PC. I have 80GB Hard disk with partition C:,D:,E:,F: each of consisting 20GB. I want to install SuSe 11.1 on my F: drive. I dont’ know anything about Disk Partition & how to do the same. I want my XP OS on my Disk so whenever I boot the PC should ask me which OS to be loaded. Pl. suggest me step by step as I am totally new to linux & dont’ know how it works. I am using windows since last 10 years & I am really bored about the interface & I need something refreshing.
THANKS
SANGHVI.

The easiest way is to delete the F partition. This can be done by right clicking on my computer choosing manage then disk management then right click on th F partition and deleting it.

Now when you start the openSUSE installation it will use the free space.
Just accept the partitioning it suggests it will create swap / and /home
It will also see your windows partitions and mount them and add windows to the boot menu.

Make sure you backup all your data first

/Geoff

Thnks Geo, for your kind suggestion. I’ll install, & let u know. By the time pl let me know if i could uninstall suse if i face any problem & revert back my F: Back to windows ? If so then how to do.
Also me know which will be better GNOME or KDE ?

Going back is quite easy. You can do it with the xp cd.
Boot with it and choose repair and use fimbr

I’ve always used kde so i have no idea about gnome you can install both and choose between them at the logion screen

/Geoff