Raspberry Pi-3B+ TW 5.1.3-1, 2019.05.17 fresh install: No WiFi?

I did a fresh install of the 64-bit Tumbleweed 5.1.3, 2019.05.17 date-stamp release, from the download directory, http://download.opensuse.org/ports/aarch64/tumbleweed/images/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-ARM-XFCE-raspberrypi3.aarch64-2019.05.17-Snapshot20190520.raw.xz on a RPi-3B+ to a USB-mounted SSD drive.

System boots and runs fine. Ethernet service comes up fine. But there’s no WiFi driver. Hardware check doesn’t find it. ifconfig doesn’t see a wlan device.

WiFi was working fine on the 4-20.2 (2019.01.13) install that I just wrote over :frowning: ], so I’m guessing this was an oversight by the packager.

Any suggestions on how I might load & activate the WiFi system? And relay a suggestion to the packager that WiFi be added back in?

Incidentally, the system seems to perform well. Slow relative to 32-bit, as before, but more stable under a load than the prior release. My usual tools (Firefox, Thunderbird, gcc, gfortran, etc.) seem to run fine.

Hi there :wink:
Are the chips the same as the RPI3? Are the firmware files installed?

What about dmesg output?

dmesg | grep firmware

I suspect the txt files and softlinks are missing in /lib/firmware/brcm directory…

Hi
Ahh, firmware is now moved to the kernel proper (incl 3B+) so something else is funky, just setup a tumbleweed SD card, dmesg shows still looking in the old place…

Hi, Malcolm! (Yes, in Bozeman again, and refreshing my openSUSE systems)

The dmesg output looks like this:

27.073616] raspberrypi-firmware soc:firmware: Attached to firmware from 2019-03-06 14:43
   57.759914] platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2
   58.473753] brcmfmac mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.raspberrypi,3-model-b-plus.txt failed with error -2
   58.473865] brcmfmac mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt failed with error -2

No txt or softlinks in /lib/firmware/brcm

So, the one thing I notice is that the dmesg errors reference mmc1. I don’t know if that’s coincidental or I’m reading something into it I shouldn’t, but I’m booting from USB not the µSD, so the mmc device is empty. If the boot system is set to always reference mmc, that would be a problem.

Ah, in my reply to your first note, I observed that the system seems to be looking at mmc1. Is that what you mean “still looking in the old place”?

Hi
So the firmware is in a new location, however it still errors out;

rmmod brcmfmac

/usr/sbin/install-brcmfmac

dmesg | grep brcmfmac
brcmfmac mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.raspberrypi,3-model-b.txt failed with error -2
brcmfmac mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt failed with error -2

{then use new location}

rmmod brcmfmac

/usr/sbin/install-brcmfmac alternative_fw_path=/lib/firmware

dmesg | grep brcmfmac
brcmfmac mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for /lib/firmware/brcm/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin failed with error -2

But the bin file exists, so something still funky…

'morning Malcolm,

Tried the simple-minded solution of simply installing from my drive with LEAP 15.1 install’s brcm directory while running TW 5.1.3 (first testing with TW’s brcm):

#mount the LEAP 15.1 drive on /dev/sdb while booted into TW 5.1.3
mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt
rmmod brcmfmac
/usr/sbin/install-brcmfmac alternative_fw_path=/lib/firmware
dmesg | grep brcm
rmmod brcmfmac
/usr/sbin/install-brcmfmac alternative_fw_path=/mnt/lib/firmware
dmesg | grep brcm
rmmod brcmfmac

No joy.

BUT …

Copy the .txt file from that LEAP 15.1 install into the TW 5.1.3 install’s brcm directory (since there wasn’t one there),

cp /mnt/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.raspberrypi,3-model-b-plus.txt /lib/firmware/brcm/

and reboot: ifconfig shows that wlan0 device is there but no IP assigned. Do a “ifup wlan0” and WiFi is up.

Not a viable long-term solution, but it may point to what needs to be done so that WiFi comes up automatically at boot time.

Hi
So copying over the old txt files (from Leap 15.0), adding the soflink and reloading the module kicks wifi back into life… a bug for sure…

Not sure what softlink is required.

As I noted in my previous post, after copying the .txt file into the /lib/firmware/brcm directory and rebooting, the wlan0 device was there but wlan0 didn’t have an IP address. A “ifup wlan0” activated it and got an IP address, and I could ssh into the Pi using that IP address from another system.

But since then I did a reboot, and WiFi came up automatically, with an IP address assigned to wlan0.

So am I right that the only thing needed is to add the .txt files back into the /lib/firmware/brcm directory? Or did the “ifup wlan0” create the softlink you wrote about?

Hi
There should be no need for the txt files, that’s the problem… :wink: and also your MAC address issue…

The new firmware/kernel should not require those txt files anymore, but there is a bug somewhere that’s stopping it from working as designed. Adding the txt files is only a workaround.

cp /mnt/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.raspberrypi,3-model-b-plus.txt /lib/firmware/brcm/
Out of curiosity,
Is that comma correct or should it be a period?

Believe you have enough to create your big report, I guess the remaining question is whether the file location really should be changed but that is something Andreas probably would know for sure what should be correct(At least more than any of us).

TSU

Hi
The comma is correct…

Good Morning, Malcolm & tsu2,

I’ve done some testing with LEAP 15.1, TW 5.1.3, and Raspbian 4.19.32 & 4.19.46. I found that the problem of changing wlan0 MAC addresses appeared between Raspbian 4.19.32 and 4.19.46, but seems to have crept into the earlier (non-experimental) 4.14. version, too. Looking at the RPi forum, I found a thread titled “Latest kernel update started spoofing MAC addresses”, and in that thread:

**[Re: Latest kernel update started spoofing MAC address](https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=241423#p1474315)**
  •                                  [Report this post](https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/app.php/post/1474315/report) 

•                                  [Quote](https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&f=28&p=1474315) 

[Thu May 30, 2019 9:06 am](https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1474315#p1474315) 
                                                                                 From my work with the developer this is only  an issue with the latest kernel update dated May-17-2019, Pi Zero's and  some, but not all USB to Ethernet adapters. If you run ifconfig on a Pi  using a USB network adapter and the mac address starts with b8:27:eb:  your having the issue. If you are having the problem adding  "force_mac_address=00:00:00:00:00:00" to config.txt in the boot  partition will fix the issue. If your having this problem on any Pi  other than a Zero let me know and I'll pass it on to the developer.

I’m having the problem on a 3B+; I’ve passed that note back to the author, as requested.

My guess is that this has been caused by some up-stream change that has gotten propagated to both openSUSE and Raspbian. I’ll note that my varying MAC addresses in LEAP/TW start with b8:27:eb when booted (but change after time). I’ll also note that the tools I used to use, ifup and ifdown, no longer see wlan0 even when wlan0 is shown by ifconfig to be active.

The “force_mac_address” edit to config.txt didn’t fix the problem in Raspbian 4.19.46: in fact, it caused the eth0 MAC address to become variable as well, so went very much the wrong way. :slight_smile: Won’t bother trying it on TW/LEAP as I would not expect the system to recognize it.