RAM considerations in VirtualBox

Well, I have installed the VirtualBox exactly as per this. Well I am going to install the Ubuntu LTS 10.04 in the VB. So how much RAM should I allocate to it, means if I suppose the X MBs of RAM to it, so that part would have what type effect on the host openSUSE 11.4, considering the fact that while I use that Guest, I should not use the host.

My current RAM is 2 GB
and current HDD: 250 GB

On 12/21/2011 11:26 AM, opensuse121 wrote:
>
> Well, I have installed the VirtualBox exactly as per ‘this’
> (http://tinyurl.com/d9tfbel). Well I am going to install the Ubuntu LTS
> 10.04 in the VB. So how much RAM should I allocate to it, means if I
> suppose the X MBs of RAM to it, so that part would have what type effect
> on the host openSUSE 11.4, considering the fact that while I use that
> Guest, I should not use the host.
>
> My current RAM is 2 GB
> and current HDD: 250 GB

My host has 3 GB RAM - I usually give each VM 1 GB and 10-15 GB of virtual disk.
I also check the box in the disk wizard to use dynamic allocation for the disk.
I rarely run more than one VM at a time.

My suggestion is not to worry so much over details. Just try it ™. :slight_smile:

I would suggest read this page from the VirtualBox website, in fact skim through the whole manual, it answered a lot of my questions.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html#gui-createvm

> skim through the whole manual

hmmmmm…reading documentation isn’t that kind’a like cheating?

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobiles” of operating systems!

only as a last resort of course you know :wink:

Thanks and I really didn’t know that while we run virtual box guest operating system, we can allocate more RAM at that time only since we are not using host at that moment but of course, leaving at least 50% aside for the host since virtual box is running in it. For my 2 GB RAM, I have allocated 720 MB to both - PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu LTS since I would be using only one at a time, and at the time, I would be using any guest in vm, I would no more run any other application (except the currently running virtualbox app) in the host machine, so that it would be easy.