Radeon r700 DPM not working

I just installed openSUSE and added the stable kernel repo to get DPM on my ATI 4970HD card. The fan absolutely screams with the radeon driver and with FGLRX-Legacy not supporting the version of xorg in 12.3+ then I’m stuck with the radeon driver.

So I’m running openSUSE KDE 12.3 with kernel 3.12. I put “radeom.dpm=1” at the end of “Optional Kernel Command Line Parameter” in YaST > System > Boot Loader > Boot Loader Options. I downloaded the firmware file I supposedly need and saved it in /lib/firmware/radeon.

I’ve had zero results after rebooting.

cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/64/radeon_pm_info returns:

default engine clock: 750000 kHzcurrent engine clock: 750000 kHz
default memory clock: 900000 kHz
current memory clock: 900000 kHz
voltage: 1263 mV
PCIE lanes: 16

…and my fan is still screaming at full speed.

Is there something I’ve done wrong? According to all the advice I can find via searching I’ve done everything that needs to be done to get DPM working on the HD4XXX cards with the open source radeon driver.

4870 was a typo. The card is a 4870HD. It appears I don’t have edit rights for my posts though.

What does the following report?

dmesg | grep dpm

Without knowing much about dynamic power management for radeon hardware, it might path for you to review the information here

RadeonFeature

In particular, note the power_method and power_profile settings reported in sysfs

cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method
cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile

These can be changed as you like, (as per the link above).