Radeon HD6770 constantly runs hot (loaded even at idle?)

nice to read.

In my spree to remove everything to do with radeon to get fglrx working, I think I had removed libdrm-radeon … (and I’ve learned a bit in the process)
well, just to further your knowledge for the future, there is/are no package(s) that is/are required to be removed from the system in order to use the catlyst/fglrx drivers … if its any consolation, I’ve observed such end user ripping spree behaviour many times in forum and mailing list posts, so you’re not alone when it comes to doing some monkey work rotfl!

I think I had removed libdrm-radeon … oops >:(. Removing that …also removed …xorg-x11-server
well, that solves that mystery: No X server, no X.

I think I had removed libdrm-radeon … (not even sure what it is)
the userspace X driver (radeon_drv.so) talks to the kernel driver (the DRM; radeon.ko) via libdrm (libdrm.so) … i.e. libdrm is the userspace interface to the kernel driver … it (libdrm) contains the DRM API functions/routines that allow it to provide the ability for X clients to interface directly with the graphics adapter, by way of the DRM … libdrm_radeon.so contains the DRM functions/routines specific to Radeon hardware

correct, just the OSS stack … fglrx has its own interface (which, off the top of my head, I believe is fglrxdrm.so, IIRC)

but Mesa depends on it on the rpm package level
yep, and on a functional level, I believe the gallium pipe driver (r600_dri.so) can access libdrm too (alluded to via: “ldd /usr/lib*/dri/r?00_dri.so | grep radeon”), but doesn’t, as it has its own interface to the kernel driver via the radeon winsys.

(and the radeon driver needs it for direct rendering on a radeon card).
yeppers, as described above (and alluded to via “ldd /usr/lib*/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so | grep radeon”)

Oops, my mistake.

The ? contained in the suggested command above picks up r200 too, and it is that which produces the grep hit … If you do a simple “ldd /usr/lib*/dri/r*_dri.so” instead, with that pattern, you’d end up checking the dependencies for both the classic and some of the gallium driver files (available to the respective radeon class hardware), and looking over its output would indicate that it is just the classic mesa drivers (radeon and r200) which have the link to libdrm_radeom … whereas the gallium pipe drivers (r300, r000) are unencumbered.

Big code drop today. New PM features will be going into the 3.11 kernel … likely not enabled by default. … suspect that openSUSE 13.1 won’t get that then (it’ll likely get a 3.10.x kernel) …