Radeon HD5670 driver problems

Hi

I’ve been trying to run openSUSE 11.4 for a few weeks now. I have been able to get the latest Ubuntu 11.04 to run on my computer with the jockey app which installs the proprietary drivers but I’ve had no luck in openSUSE. I really want to use openSUSE instead of Ubuntu.

If I leave the default drivers (on every single distro) my display shuts off after about 30 mins and I can only hard reboot. If I install the fglrx in openSUSE it has terrible performance and dragging windows causes what looks like tearing or stuttering and the mouse pointer looks like windows 95, the boot screen isnt a smooth transition anymore, etc. I’ve tried the gui way. I’ve tried the guide which says to uninstall old drivers and install fglrx from CLI but then I noticed when I boot it says fglrx is not built.

At this point I’m not sure what to do. I’ve looked all over for answers and now I’m starting up my own thread hoping someone can help.

Thank you in advance to anyone who at least tries to help me out. I really appreciate it.

f I install the fglrx in openSUSE it has terrible performance and dragging windows causes what looks like tearing or stuttering and the mouse pointer looks like windows 95, the boot screen isnt a smooth transition anymore, etc. I’ve tried the gui way. I’ve tried the guide which says to uninstall old drivers and install fglrx from CLI but then I noticed when I boot it says fglrx is not built.

Have a read of this thread. Maybe plase_try_again’s script will help with removing the existing driver and install the latest driver for you.

To uninstall older (proprietary) ATI drivers, install the kernel sources and compiler (if necessary), download and package the latest fglrx and finally install it and compile the kernel module, try the following commands in a terminal:

su -l
zypper ar [noparse]http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/please_try_again/openSUSE_11.4/[/noparse]  PTA
zypper refresh -r PTA
zypper in atiupgrade
atiupgrade

If another fglrx driver is already running (flgrx module is loaded), you will have to exit X or reboot in runlevel 3 and execute the last command again.
(as the screenshots show in this article openSUSE Forums - ATI driver with atiupgrade and in several posts in this thread: Upgrading ATI driver with atiupgrade - Page 8)