Radeon HD 7800 series error log

Opensuse 13.2, AMD Radeon HD 7800 series, fglrx64 14.501-1003-1

Can anyone throw some light on the logs similar to below? They run continuously atm. I may get a small break after rebooting, but then they resume.
Can they safely be ignored?

Jan 19 08:38:36 linux-02ps atieventsd[1113]: Too many Event Notification connection errors. Giving up!
Jan 19 08:38:37 linux-02ps atieventsd[1113]: Too many Event Notification connection errors. Giving up!

If they are logged then they can make the log files very large and you may run out of space on root. Best to find the problem

I will keep an eye on this… “df -h” indicates 50% use atm - but something to watch.

Hundreds of these continue to appear

“Too many Event Notification connection errors. Giving up!”

I am thinking about installing the latest AMD Catalyst driver, downloaded from their site, but not sure how to proceed. Will this automatically uninstall my existing driver?

Not a sure thing if you manually install. Best practice is remove the old before adding the new.

Ok so I uninstall the driver with Yast. Do I proceed to install the new driver without rebooting? Do I loose my desktop?

Discovered atieventsd has a man page. The following command has stopped the logging - but probably not the cause. Anyway small steps…

killall atieventsd

atieventsd[1113]: Closing control socket
atieventsd[1113]: ATI External Events Daemon shutting down

Remove the files then install the new then reboot. The old will still be running you just removed it’s files not the running instance. So if you reboot first you will be running under radeon driver I guess or some other OS driver this may or may not present a problem.