Radeon HD 5650 Not Detected openSUSE 12.2

This has been driving me crazy for a month or so now. I recently made the switch from Windows 7 to openSUSE on my HP Envy 14 notebook. At first I thought everything was running pretty smoothly, but upon playing a video for 20 minutes, I noticed the bottom of my laptop was SCALDING hot to the touch. I had noticed the fan had been running a lot more excessively than before as well, but I hadn’t really paid attention to it until then. I did a little digging around to try to see if something was up with my video card and it’s not even detected by openSUSE. I have the drivers libdrm_radeon1 and xorg-x11-driver-video-radeonhd installed, but in system details it lists my graphics as Intel Sandybridge Mobile.

I read around and discovered that maybe I should install the AMD fglrx driver. However, I have attempted this twice now and both times it has caused a kernel panic and my laptop to restart in text mode. Perhaps I am missing a step or messing something up somewhere? I am rather new to Linux so any help provided would mean the world to me. Please help me to understand where I am going wrong with fglrx driver or if there is another possible solution to my issue. The problem of overheating did not occur until I switched to openSUSE, though I understand it is not likely the OS’s fault. On Windows 7, my hardware worked like a dream, so it is not likely that it is buildup of dust or anything similar. I have since cleaned everywhere to eliminate that possibility. I’m almost certain I just need a driver that works for Radeon 5650 HD card, but as I have stated before, I’m kind of a noob, so that may be inaccurate. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!

I typically update to the proprietary fglrx (amd proprietary graphic driver for GNU/Linux) by grabbing the binary and following the instructions on the AMD site. I’ve done this so often I have it memorized (there are a number of steps) but for newbs it could be considered overly complicated.

Please_try_again has a script that he created to do the installation of the proprietary driver automatically upon running the script. I have not tried the script myself, but others have and from what I read it has helped many users. Take a look at this thread: https://forums.opensuse.org/english/other-forums/development/programming-scripting/449058-upgrading-ati-driver-atiupgrade.html . You may wish to read to the END of that thread in order to get the latest version of his script.

found this https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx

There is also an article with please_try_again’s script mentioned here: https://forums.opensuse.org/content/115-ati-driver-atiupgrade-new-version.html … Again I recommend reading a bit to ensure that one finds the latest version of the script.

Evidently you have a hybrid graphics laptop

upon playing a video for 20 minutes, I noticed the bottom of my laptop was SCALDING hot to the touch. I had noticed the fan had been running a lot more excessively than before as well,
Its a power managaement issue – both GPUs are on

I did a little digging around to try to see if something was up with my video card and it’s not even detected by openSUSE
the radeon adapter would be detected, but due to the nature of X and multiple graphics adapters, its not configured.

I have the drivers libdrm_radeon1 and xorg-x11-driver-video-radeonhd installed,
radeonhd is for an antiquated driver. The OSS driver you’d want is the radeon, which is contained in the video-ati package. In any regard, that’s just for your info, as (i) X autoconfiguration would (or should) select the radeon driver over the other (radeonhd) and (ii) in any case, the radeon driver is not an appropriate choice here given the hybrid graphics situation

I read around and discovered that maybe I should install the AMD fglrx driver
yes, it would be a better choice given the hybrid graphics situation and the fact that it, the fglrx, currently has much better PM then that of the OSS drivers (radeon or otherwise).

However, I have attempted this twice now and both times it has caused a kernel panic and my laptop to restart in text mode. Perhaps I am missing a step or messing something up somewhere? I am rather new to Linux so any help provided would mean the world to me. Please help me to understand where I am going wrong with fglrx driver or if there is another possible solution to my issue. The problem of overheating did not occur until I switched to openSUSE, though I understand it is not likely the OS’s fault. On Windows 7, my hardware worked like a dream, so it is not likely that it is buildup of dust or anything similar. I have since cleaned everywhere to eliminate that possibility. I’m almost certain I just need a driver that works for Radeon 5650 HD card, but as I have stated before, I’m kind of a noob, so that may be inaccurate. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!
There is a known issue which I believe is the case that you are bumping up against; see: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/hardware/478053-switchable-graphics-card-ati-intel-failed-boot-after-install-ati-drivers.html#post2487732

I doubt very much that there is anything wrong with the laptop (dust or otherwise). PM for graphics adapters, and hybrid graphics in general, are areas of rather large weakness under Linux. Hopefully those situations might change over the course of this year (AMD is said to be nearing a big drop for PM for the OSS driver) and work towards improvements in X with respect to multiple graphics adapters is slowly being addressed.

[quote="“Tyler_K,post:5,topic:87041”]

Evidently you have a hybrid graphics laptop[/QUOTE]

Well spotted. I missed that in chadtparmenter’s post. I note the lanlap website entry is not very optimistic wrt this laptop and GNU/Linux: http://www.linlap.com/hp_envy_14

Okay, I’m reading through this and the thread which you posted. This may be answered in there at some point which I have not reached yet, it also may be a stupid question, but I am wondering if I will need to take any additional steps before running this script (or installing from repo as the user has set up), such as uninstalling the current radeon drivers? Thanks very much for your help! This is very helpful!

Awesome! Thank you so much! This is exactly the kind of information I needed. I now know to try to avoid hybrid graphics with my next hardware purchase!

Apologies - that was the wrong link. The correct link to LINLAP is this: HP Envy 14 [Linux Laptop Wiki]

I found the issue with my HP TM2 was to use nomodeset when booting

Then use sysconfig editor from yast to set NO_KMS_IN_INITRD to Yes.

after this as root or su run the command mkinitrd

then reboot

from a konsole session as root use the command lspci -vnnn | grep VGA

you should see 2 vga lines one for the integrated card usually an intel and one for the AMD/ATI card

doing it like this will cause vga_switcheroo to be used by the kernel and you will not need the native driver.

make sure you uninstall the native driver fglrx and the radeon driver is not blacklisted