R9 285 Tonga Driver

Hello all

Until Kernel version 4.2 and Mesa 11 no open source driver will support AMD Tonga, Fiji etc,. So only way to go with is fglrx but I try every possible way to install fglrx with no luck, fglrx repository and Sebastian’s scripts for both 15.7 and 15.5, I even installed the gdm fix for Gnome. Nothing, every time I ended up in text mode :(. I’m using openSUSE 13.2 with Gnome DE. The only thing I do is setting driver to vesa in xorg.conf to fix the resolution.

Thanks in advance for any help :slight_smile:

???
If you set the driver to vesa, how would you expect fglrx to work?
Set it to fglrx, or remove the xorg.conf completely.

As the fglrx driver installation breaks Mesa (it provides its own OpenGL support), GNOME will not run using the vesa driver (which implies using Mesa’s software OpenGL renderer).

If it still doesn’t work, try with another display manager, xdm is installed by default.
This is configured in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager:

DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm"

(instead of DISPLAYMANAGER=“gdm”)

I know that, I remove xorg.conf then install the fglrx.

I’ll try, thanks :slight_smile:

Good.
Your post sounded to me that you set vesa after installing fglrx to fix the resolution…

Btw, with fbdev (which is used by default if you boot with “nomodeset” or to recovery mode), the Xorg resolution should be taken over from the boot menu.
So you should be able to set it in YaST->System->Boot Loader.

I’ll try, thanks :slight_smile:

If it doesn’t help, an Xorg log from a failed boot would be helpful in finding out what’s the problem.
So do a normal boot, then reboot to recovery mode and post /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old (which contains the log from the previous boot) in that case.

Thanks to you now it’s fixed :)! But why gdm doesn’t work? is any way to really fix it (beside of --install-gdm-fix)?

Good to hear! :slight_smile:

But why gdm doesn’t work?

Sorry, I don’t know the details.
Apparently gdm calls some function that doesn’t exist in the fglrx driver, or something like that.

is any way to really fix it (beside of --install-gdm-fix)?

This has to be fixed in gdm or fglrx I suppose, by their respective developers.

You could install and use lightdm as a work around, that should be on par with gdm.

Now I’m using LightDM. You helped me lot, thank you.

Kurush