Quick questions on Peer to Peer vs Active Directory

Although I haven’t read SAMBA 4 documentation, I’m relying on the well-known descriptions that it should be a drop in replacement for Active Directory and therefor should perform like Windows Active Directory and SMB/CIFS file sharing since Win2000.

1. No, and especially if no XP/NT machines are present. Backwards compatibility for NetBIOS Name resolution should be implemented only as failover should Host Name resolution fail, and maybe not even that since AD <requires> Host Name resolution with any other methods as “helpers.”

2. No. Deploying a WINS is possible, but you should know that it is a <different> name resolution so if you don’t integrate it with your network Host Name resolution, you will experience problems where for example a Host might find something using NetBIOS name resolution, but it isn’t the same as what would have been found using Host name resolution. So, the lesson is to keep things KISS, don’t implement unless you have reason and if you do, you have to do it right.

3. Yes. AFAIK although NetBIOS Name resolution is almost never used in modern Networking, some older applications running locally on machines still use that naming method so NetBIOS is still important for legacy application support.

4. It depends. If this is the first and only SMB server serving network shares on your network, yes AFAIK.

5. Probably most documentation should still be relevant but I’m sure that SAMBA 4 specific documentation would be much better.

Some of these concerns about NetBIOS name resolution only cause problems if you have more than one server serving resources. If you only have one, then although still not recommended, you’re less likely to run into actual problems.

IMO,
TSU

On 5/6/2013 12:36 PM, tsu2 wrote:
>
<snip>
>
> Name Resolution order is usually configured by a DHCP option.
> No, putting broadcasts first is usually a very bad move unless you
> don’t mind your network being extremely “chatty” (unnecessary traffic).
> Directed queries are far batter and should be sufficient if your network
> (DNS, DHCP, Domain Controllers) are healthy. Since server capacity
> should not be an issue except in extraordinarily large networks,
> configuration and good physical network connections are your main points
> of concern.
>
> Preferences should always be in this order
> Host Name resolution (DNS, Hosts files)
> NBios Name Resolution (WINS, lmhosts files)
> Broadcasts (no Server resolution, every host finds another host by
> ARPing until the target responds)
>
> TSU
>
>
Just for my edification how do you set the name resolution order in dhcpd? hosts and lmhosts are very hard to maintain. Which
leaves DNS, WINS, or Broadcasts. Few small sites run a DNS server. I agree that WINS reduces chatter but this is rarely a problem
on small networks.

P.V.
“We’re all in this together, I’m pulling for you” Red Green

Take a read about DHCP option 46,
RFC 1001/1002
b node
p node
m node
h node

Actually, for a tiny network, many people don’t know that you can push custom Hosts and lmhosts files to clients using DHCP so everything is centrally managed from one point. Again, it’s simply another DHCP option.

HTH,
TSU

On 5/7/2013 11:16 AM, tsu2 wrote:
<snip>
>
> Take a read about DHCP option 46,
> RFC 1001/1002
> b node
> p node
> m node
> h node
>
> Actually, for a tiny network, many people don’t know that you can push
> custom Hosts and lmhosts files to clients using DHCP so everything is
> centrally managed from one point. Again, it’s simply another DHCP
> option.
>
> HTH,
> TSU
>
TSU;

Thank you. This is what I was looking for.

option netbios-node-type uint8;
The NetBIOS node type option allows NetBIOS over TCP/IP clients which are configurable to be configured as described in RFC
1001/1002. The value is specified as a single octet which identifies the client type.
Possible node types are:

B-node: Broadcast - no WINS

P-node: Peer - WINS only

M-node: Mixed - broadcast, then WINS

H-node: Hybrid - WINS, then broadcast

But, Samba gets its the name resolve order from smb.conf. I wonder if you can use these dhcp setting for Samba? You would need
to have some file altered and included in /etc/samba/smb.conf. Do you know if there is a script that would write the proper
parameters before nmbd starts?

AFAIK Windows will use the WINS server if it is offered, either manually or by dhcp.

P.V.

OK, I have SAMBA running on the network, users created on the server for all that would need access (at this point myself and my spouse). The shared folders are showing in Windows Explorer, but no one can log in to the shared space except for “root” using the root name and password. Local. access seems to be non-functional and I have been reading the SAMBA document and can not find where I am making a mistake. From my understanding if one is present on the machine as a “user” and can log into the server you should also have access rights from Windows using your Linux credentials.

Any ideas?

On 5/9/2013 7:36 PM, CBHedricks wrote:
>
> OK, I have SAMBA running on the network, users created on the server for
> all that would need access (at this point myself and my spouse). The
> shared folders are showing in Windows Explorer, but no one can log in to
> the shared space except for “root” using the root name and password.
> Local. access seems to be non-functional and I have been reading the
> SAMBA document and can not find where I am making a mistake. From my
> understanding if one is present on the machine as a “user” and can log
> into the server you should also have access rights from Windows using
> your Linux credentials.
>
> Any ideas?
>
>
CBHedricks;

What are the Linux permission on the shared folder? Post the results of

ls -ld <path to share>

What is the definition of the share in /etc/samba/smb.conf? Post at least the share information in your smb.conf. It would
probably help to see all of smb.conf.

This Howto has a number of share examples:
http://swerdna.dyndns.org/susesambaserver.html

P.V.

You also must add Samba users/password to the openSUSE machine Samba database making the share as its not enough to just be able to log into the openSUSE PC with the user name and password. Did you ever look at my blog on the subject here as it is all there to read?

S.A.C.T. - Samba Automated Configuration Tool - Version 1.06 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,