Questions re: Dual-Boot installs and Xen

Currently I dual boot my laptop between Kubuntu 11.04 & Windows 7.

What I’m currently looking to do is replace Kubuntu with openSUSE and then install Xen (for learning purposes openSUSE looks like the best way to go for testing things in Xen).

What will this mean for the Windows partition? Will I be able to choose in GRUB between booting to Xen/dom0 or Windows?

On 07/20/2011 11:26 AM, Kemra wrote:

> (for learning purposes openSUSE looks like the best way
> to go for testing things in Xen).

i may be wrong (wouldn’t be the first time) but i do not believe there
are a large number of people here often who use Xen successfully…most
here seem to throw rocks at both Xen and VMWare, and opt for easy
VBox…but, hang around and see if any Xen gurus here have answers for
your:

> What will this mean for the Windows partition? Will I be able to choose
> in GRUB between booting to Xen/dom0 or Windows?

and, decide for yourself how to proceed…

hmmm, actually now in a moment of clarity i see you are correct:

“for learning purposes” there is no way which offers more learning than
no one to ask questions of…

so, you have found your place to learn, in silence. :slight_smile:

DD
Caveat-Hardware-Software
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobiles” of operating systems!

Hi DenverD thanks for the feedback. It may be a case of me just trying this later and seeing what happens I was just wondering If anyone had tried this previously.

I’m familiar with VBox, KVM and VMWare but haven’t really had any experience with Xen, so it will be interesting to see if any Xen guru’s are hanging around the forums.

I see no reason dual boot would not work with Xen. Dual boot is just a matter of partition organization and boot sequence/control.

Xen is a level 1 VM so is a bit more difficult to get setup. Level 1 runs on the bare metal rather then as a process under the host.

Thanks for that - I’ll test it when I get back from the office and let everyone know. I assumed it would be OK but I wasn’t quite sure.

OK, so tested it and Dual Boot works perfectly no issues what so ever. means I can have more fun with Xen and getting to grips with openSUSE. Thanks for your input all.