Question Regardin ReInstall

Well, i have a Dual boot, Windows XP and OpenSUSE, for some reason my openSUSE just wont work, screen freezes etc.

I want to know if by doing a reinstall of the openSUSE partition using the openSUSE DVD, will my Windows XP partition get messed up?

Thanks

Highly unlikely. It should recognise the SUSE partition, and reinstall over it. The only thing you have to watch for is whether it integrates the old boot menu, and thereby chainloads Windows correctly - it should give you an option to do this in the installer. For safety and ease, you can make a copy of the old /boot/grub/menu.lst so that if it doesn’t work, you can just copy the old section into the newly created file.

where can i find that GRUB menu under Windows?

assas1n wrote:
> Well, i have a Dual boot, Windows XP and OpenSUSE, for some reason my
> openSUSE just wont work, screen freezes etc.

if your openSUSE never worked, it is UNLIKELY (to impossible) that a
reinstall will fix it…

and, if it used to work and you messed it up somehow, it MIGHT be as
easy to fix as to reinstall…

there are thousands of posts here where folks have had screen “freezes
etc” and fixed it…like, if you are running KDE4.x with “desktop
effects” enabled…just turn off the effects! if you still have beagle
installed and running, get RID of it…etc…Linux is ROCK SOLID
STABLE…KDE4 is NOT, neither is compiz, etc…

mine is SO stable the only way i can make my computer stop running is
to pull the plug OUT of the wall! :wink:

brassy

You would need to install an EXT filesystem reading driver to Windows, which may be more hassle than it’s worth for this purpose.

At the grub menu put the selection box over suse, type the number ‘3’ and hit return. That’ll put you in a ‘text only’ mode that is very unlikely to crash, and you can log in as root, and type ‘cat /boot/grub/menu.lst | more’ to read the file. Just make a note of what the ‘windows’ section says, and if it doesn’t appear in your new menu.lst, you can put it back.

Yup, my SUSE did work for a couple of days, I already made a topic months ago asking for help, some kind people explined but its just too advanced for me to fix.

I think a new SUSE installation would be the best for me, since there is no important info under the SUSE partition.