Question Re openSUSE and Evergreen (11.4 & 13.1)

>>Wolfgang Rosenauer wolfgang at rosenauer.org
Mon Aug 26 11:34:06 CEST 2013
http://lists.rosenauer.org/pipermail/evergreen/2013-August/001253.html
Hello,

The openSUSE Evergreen team would like to announce that openSUSE 13.1
will be the next Evergreen release. This means that openSUSE 13.1 will
continue to be supplied with security updates and important bugfixes
until it has had a total life time of at least three years.

The openSUSE Evergreen team expands the lifespan of openSUSE releases by
issuing security- and stability fixes after the usual 18 months. The
team has kept selected releases maintained for an additional one and a
half to three years. The first Evergreen release was openSUSE 11.1.
Current releases in the Evergreen maintenance program are openSUSE 11.2
to be maintained until November 2013 (a total of 4 years) and 11.4 to be
maintained until July 2014 (reaching over three).

Find more information about Evergreen and how to keep your openSUSE
release alive on the Evergreen wiki page:
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Evergreen

on behalf of the whole Evergreen team
Wolfgang Rosenauer<<

“…11.4 to be maintained until July 2014 (reaching over three years)…”

“…openSUSE 13.1 Evergreen support planned to start in May 2015 and to
end in November 2016…” http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Evergreen

Question/s: What happens to Evergreen support between July 2014 & May
2015? Will 11.4 get some extra extended support during this time gap.

Cheers

You will need to install 13.1
It’s a necessary step anyway

Sounds like really good news for our openSUSE 13.1 OS stability and useability. It does pump me up to hear this on our next openSUSE release!

Thank You,

On 2013-11-12 06:08, jmartini wrote:
>>>Wolfgang Rosenauer wolfgang at rosenauer.org

> “…11.4 to be maintained until July 2014 (reaching over three years)…”
>
> “…openSUSE 13.1 Evergreen support planned to start in May 2015 and
> to end in November 2016…” http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Evergreen
>
>
> Question/s: What happens to Evergreen support between July 2014 & May
> 2015? Will 11.4 get some extra extended support during this time gap.

No, 11.4 goes finally EOL on July. Between now and July you should be
thinking to upgrade to 13.1, so that by August you are on 13.1 it you
want the long term support of Evergreen later.

Of course, you can also upgrade to 12.3 in the interim, but 12.3 is not
an LTS.

If you mean that the Evergreen team are “out of a job” after July till
13.1 first EOL, well, yes :slight_smile:

This said, the right place to get an authoritative answer on Evergreen,
is of course, the Evergreen mail list.

>
> List-Id: openSUSE Evergreen coordination <evergreen.lists.rosenauer.org>
> List-Unsubscribe: <http://lists.rosenauer.org/mailman/options/evergreen>,
>  <mailto:evergreen-request  at  lists.rosenauer.org?subject=unsubscribe>
> List-Archive: <http://lists.rosenauer.org/pipermail/evergreen>
> List-Post: <mailto:evergreen  at  lists.rosenauer.org>
> List-Help: <mailto:evergreen-request  at  lists.rosenauer.org?subject=help>
> List-Subscribe: <http://lists.rosenauer.org/mailman/listinfo/evergreen>,
>  <mailto:evergreen-request  at  lists.rosenauer.org?subject=subscribe>


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

On 13/11/13 02:03, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2013-11-12 06:08, jmartini wrote:
>>>> Wolfgang Rosenauer wolfgang at rosenauer.org
>> “…11.4 to be maintained until July 2014 (reaching over three years)…”

>> “…openSUSE 13.1 Evergreen support planned to start in May 2015 and
>> to end in November 2016…” http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Evergreen

>> Question/s: What happens to Evergreen support between July 2014 & May
>> 2015? Will 11.4 get some extra extended support during this time gap?

> No, 11.4 goes finally EOL on July. Between now and July you should be
> thinking to upgrade to 13.1, so that by August you are on 13.1 if you
> want the long term support of Evergreen later.
Thanks for your feedback, Carols.
I am just a personal user running Linux (currently openSUSE 11.4 Gnome
2.32) on an old laptop (8 years old 2Ghz P4 M with 2GB RAM and Intel
915 Graphics) and though I will try 13.1, with LXDE, MATE and KDE4 DE
options, I doubt that it will be as usable as the 11.4 Gnome install
I am currently running on this low-spec old hardware. Thus there is no
great onus on my part to worry about upgrading to 13.1 before July
2014. If the old laptop lasts past July next year (and it probably
will), I intend to keep 11.4 on it (until it dies) as I have another
Linux OS (plus a Home) partition to test a 13.1 (or Centos 6.x & Mint
LTS Mate) install on.

> Of course, you can also upgrade to 12.3 in the interim, but 12.3 is not
> an LTS.

I have a 12.3 KDE4 install on the other partition (now backed up and
replaced by Debian 7 LXDE, which is usable but…) but 11.4 Gnome 2.32
is a much better fit on this old laptop.

> If you mean that the Evergreen team are “out of a job” after July till
> 13.1 first EOL, well, yes :slight_smile:
Yeah, what are they going to do in the meantime to keep in “Evergreen
shape” for such a long break? :slight_smile:

Is there any special technical reason as to why 11.4 Evergreen support
(full or limited) can not continue until support for 13.1 begins?

> This said, the right place to get an authoritative answer on Evergreen,
> is of course, the Evergreen mail list.
True but a bit more publicity for the Evergreen project will not go
astray, IMHO.

Cheers.

On 2013-11-15 11:38, jmartini wrote:
> On 13/11/13 02:03, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Thanks for your feedback, Carols.
> I am just a personal user running Linux (currently openSUSE 11.4 Gnome
> 2.32) on an old laptop (8 years old 2Ghz P4 M with 2GB RAM and Intel
> 915 Graphics) and though I will try 13.1, with LXDE, MATE and KDE4 DE
> options, I doubt that it will be as usable as the 11.4 Gnome install
> I am currently running on this low-spec old hardware. Thus there is no
> great onus on my part to worry about upgrading to 13.1 before July
> 2014. If the old laptop lasts past July next year (and it probably
> will), I intend to keep 11.4 on it (until it dies) as I have another
> Linux OS (plus a Home) partition to test a 13.1 (or Centos 6.x & Mint
> LTS Mate) install on.

I have an old laptop of about that vintage: it is a P4 with 500MB. It
currently runs 12.3, and I intend to upgrade to 13.1 when it stabilizes.
I have another laptop, relatively modern, running 11.4 Evergreen, which
I will also upgrade. Both will probably remain on Evergreen, at least
the older unit.

>
>> Of course, you can also upgrade to 12.3 in the interim, but 12.3 is not
>> an LTS.
>
> I have a 12.3 KDE4 install on the other partition (now backed up and
> replaced by Debian 7 LXDE, which is usable but…) but 11.4 Gnome 2.32
> is a much better fit on this old laptop.

Yes, Gnome is now a “heavy”. I’m currently preferring XFCE.

>> If you mean that the Evergreen team are “out of a job” after July till
>> 13.1 first EOL, well, yes :slight_smile:
> Yeah, what are they going to do in the meantime to keep in “Evergreen
> shape” for such a long break? :slight_smile:
>
> Is there any special technical reason as to why 11.4 Evergreen support
> (full or limited) can not continue until support for 13.1 begins?

Guessing, they are estimating that 11.4 will become more difficult to
maintain with time.

They considered 12.3, but the “con” was that they did not decide it at
release time, so people wanting an LTS did not install it. I mean,
people wanting an LTS did not have 12.3 on the list, whereas choosing
13.1 those people will have at least 3 years of maintenance.

I’m not explaining myself very well O:-)

They are making policy as they work. At first they thought of selecting
a version after it had been released some time, in order to choose the
more stable one. This time they chose right at the start so that we have
the full maintenance cycle, 3 or more years.

>> This said, the right place to get an authoritative answer on Evergreen,
>> is of course, the Evergreen mail list.
> True but a bit more publicity for the Evergreen project will not go
> astray, IMHO.

Absolutely.

It is Tumbleweed which gets most publicity. I guess Evergreen may have
more users, specially in the server sector. Or people that just use
their computer and do not want to be updating all time, not even every year.

One problem with Evergreen is that repositories for 11.4 are being
deleted. For example, when 11.4 was in its normal cycle, I updated KDE
using the KDE repo. This has disappeared, and now I have orphaned
packages. If something happens, I can not reinstall them.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)