Question on kernel update: no trouble ? safe update ?

Hello

Since the previous update of the kernel was very buggy I haven’t update the kernel, I’ve been checking the forum and haven’t read any general problem with it, in the past I would updated already but since the previous update was bad… I prefer to ask directly. Is it a safe update or it still give problems like the previous one.

On top of that, there’s a new update for the nvidia drivers (04.desktop for me), I suppose I first update the kernel, then the driver, separately. Has there been any report of conflicts ?

Thank you

When you do not even tell which version of openSUSE you use, people will have to guess which kernel update(s) you are talking about.

In general there are no problems with kernel updates (when you mean with that, those that come through the Update OSS repo). Only people that have installed Nvidia support “the hard way” may have to do the normal extra actions I assume.

The bad update was removed only good ones are there. The problem was with the NVIDA KMS and that “bad” update. That was one bad update in many many updates. It was fixed within a week maybe faster I forget now. But a fixed kernel package was available in the testing within 3 or 4 days.

All is good.

right, well, I use OpenSuse 13.2, with an EVGA GTX 980. I did have trouble wit the previous buggy kernel update, can’t risk updating for another problem because it’ my ‘real world job’ pc, so can’t have lost time fixing things.

I always update always via Yast using the official repositories. Thanks for telling me it has no problems so far, I’ll schedule an update when current project has a ‘window’ of time for it.

The previous kernel update was not “buggy”, it was just incompatible so existing third party kernel modules didn’t work any more.
They just would have had to be recompiled for that particular kernel.

can’t risk updating for another problem because it’ my ‘real world job’ pc, so can’t have lost time fixing things.

You can always boot the previous kernel in “Advanced Options” in the boot menu if a kernel update should give you problems.

Thank you, I plan to update when the current project allows it.