Question about "sensors-detect" safety and CPU Temperature?

Hello Everyone,
I just cleaned up my computer and removed quite a lot of dust I was curious to see if this had improved any of my usual temperatures, so I fired up “sensors” but it didn’t not show my CPU temperature (it does so on my laptop, I expected it to work here too).

Trying something else I followed this guide: hardware - How do I get the CPU temperature? - Ask Ubuntu

and used the command

sudo sensors-detect

Now, I didn’t really knew what I does, and didn’t felt comfortable answering yes to all questions like the most liked comment suggests, so I always answered the answer the command suggested me to answer (like if it was written YES/no, I typed YES, and if it was written yes/NO I typed no).

Now, the programs warns about some things being relatively safe, others less: Why exactly would that not be safe? Not knowing enough about it, I answered a bit to impulsively in the way described like above and am now a bit worried (I should probably think beforehand and before executing unknown commands, I am sorry, but I am still quite in the learning process on this :sweat_smile: ).

Also in the end, I did not get my CPU temperature out of this process at all (sensors still does not shows me my cpu), and now I am worried that I did something unsafe or broke anything? I did save the file created by the command tho.

Can anyone help me out on this, explain me if there is a risk and why and how I should manage this? Also, how I could have managed it better, and if there is a better/easier way to do it?

I am up for all advices!

@CopepodLover I’ve not had issues with just letting auto-detect work sensors-detect --auto It should then add/overwrite your /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors and all sensors available should show data.

I would go back and review the output as some sensors are not auto detected.

I did it, but “sensors” now still doesn’t shows my CPU, I only get my Wlan Adapter, My PCI Adapter and what I believe to be my RAM (PCI Adapter?).

I did rerun sensors-detect --auto and I think that t has rewritten my file: it showed me this:

Do you want to overwrite /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (YES/no): 
unloading... OK
unloading... OK

Why exactly are some of these processes considered “risky” or unsafe?

@CopepodLover what about the lines above, do you see something like

Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.

Driver `coretemp':
  * Chip `Intel digital thermal sensor' (confidence: 9)

Driver `to-be-written':
  * ISA bus, address 0xa30
    Chip `ITE IT8613E Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)

Note: there is no driver for ITE IT8613E Super IO Sensors yet.
Check https://hwmon.wiki.kernel.org/device_support_status for updates.

Unloading i2c-dev... OK
Unloading cpuid... OK
Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.

Driver `ftsteutates':
  * Bus `SMBus PIIX4 adapter port 1 at 0b20'
    Busdriver `i2c_piix4', I2C address 0x73
    Chip `FSC Teutates' (confidence: 2)

Driver `nct6775':
  * ISA bus, address 0x290
    Chip `Nuvoton NCT6796D Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)

Unloading i2c-dev... OK
Unloading cpuid... OK

That’s what I get

@CopepodLover what cpu is in your system inxi -C

PU:
  Info: 6-core model: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 bits: 64 type: MT MCP cache: L2: 3 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 2194 min/max: 2200/4208 cores: 1: 2193 2: 2195 3: 2192
    4: 2194 5: 2192 6: 2191 7: 2196 8: 2195 9: 2193 10: 2196 11: 2196 12: 2199

@CopepodLover it should be using k10temp… See https://forums.opensuse.org/t/computer-temperature-amd-ryzen-5-3600/139537

Oh, but it does, it’s my fault then, it is my CPU!

it’s at 32.1°C!

My mistake!

I didn’t registered that k10temp is my CPU (because it is written PCI adapter next to it).

Still, is there a reason why this may be unsafe? Have I done something wrong by doing it (even if it was unnecessary, since it showed my CPU since the beginning), and what kind of risks are there? Are these hardware risks, or security risks?

@CopepodLover No, it’s all good, nothing to worry about :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.