Question about remove items in boot loader

this question originally came up because of an issue i was having with my monitors, in fixing the monitor problem i created what seem to be extra choices in my boot menu. original discussion can be found here (11.1 dual monitors, one video card - openSUSE Forums)

currently my boot loader looks like this:

*openSUSE
*PANIC
*Windows XP
*opensuse 2.6.27.7-9
*-> failsafe
*other linux

description

*openSUSE
*PANIC
i believe that the “openSUSE” option is the kernel which was created when i set up my monitors to work as one large screen. it was originally called, opensuse 2.6.27.23-0.1, this is option i select to run openSUSE and PANIC is the associated failsafe

*Windows XP
what i use to boot up windows when i need it

*opensuse 2.6.27.7-9
*-> failsafe
i think this is associated with my original installation and i no longer use this or the failsafe to run openSUSE, i am not sure if it is safe to remove the reference to or otherwise delete this option

*other linux
the “other linux” was some sort of default thing created during installation, if i look at the details in bootloader, it looks very different from either of the openSUSE options

it has no kernel image, it just has an “Other System” dropdown which reads:
/dev/mapper/nvidia_ddcbgifd_part1

i am not sure what deleting this would cause since i haven’t a clue what it is for, i do not have any other versions of linux installed on this machine

when i run “uname -a” i get:

Linux linux-eghr 2.6.27.23-0.1-default #1 SMP 2009-05-26 17:02:05 -0400 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

any thoughts on if/how i should go about removing the unecessary items from bootloader would be much appreciated

thanks

Open a terminal and run

su -
cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

Copy the output here.

output from “cat /boot/grub/menu.lst”

Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Mon Jul 13 13:06:21 CDT 2009

default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd0,4)/message

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title openSUSE
root (hd0,4)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27.23-0.1-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/raid-nvidia_ddcbgifd-part7 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/raid-nvidia_ddcbgifd-part6 splash=silent showopts vga=0x31a
initrd /initrd-2.6.27.23-0.1-default

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title PANIC
root (hd0,4)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27.23-0.1-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/raid-nvidia_ddcbgifd-part7 showopts ide=nodma apm=off noresume nosmp maxcpus=0 edd=off powersaved=off nohz=off highres=off processor.max_cstate=1 x11failsafe vga=0x31a
initrd /initrd-2.6.27.23-0.1-default

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title openSUSE 11.1 - 2.6.27.7-9
root (hd0,4)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27.7-9-pae root=/dev/disk/by-id/raid-nvidia_ddcbgifd-part7 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/raid-nvidia_ddcbgifd-part6 splash=silent showopts vga=0x31a
initrd /initrd-2.6.27.7-9-pae

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe – openSUSE 11.1 - 2.6.27.7-9
root (hd0,4)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27.7-9-pae root=/dev/disk/by-id/raid-nvidia_ddcbgifd-part7 showopts ide=nodma apm=off noresume nosmp maxcpus=0 edd=off powersaved=off nohz=off highres=off processor.max_cstate=1 x11failsafe vga=0x31a
initrd /initrd-2.6.27.7-9-pae

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: Linux other###
title Linux other
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Well, the new openSUSE and old openSUSE sections do indeed point to different kernels. You can remove the old one, but personally, I wouldn’t bother unless you’re extremely short on disk space. I’d just remove the entries in the menu, and leave the kernel itself there as a backup.

If you copy the file to a backup with

su -
cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.bak

Then use your favourite editor (eg ‘gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst’ or ‘kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst’) to remove every line below (but not including!) the first ‘chainloader +1’, it should look as you want it. Alternatively, delete the very last stanza, and comment out the other two (put a # at the beginning of each line) - same effect as far as the OS is concerned. That’s down to personal preference really.

I don’t know what the ‘other linux’ section was for - chances are that the installer just created it blindly because it saw a linux formatted partition when you were installing.

thanks for that – i’m happy to leave everything alone but just change the look of the boot screen… that did the trick, thanks

No worries. No need to worry about the kernel - the only situations where it’s likely to trouble you are if you have a separate /boot partition, or you’re using a solid state drive.

Delete it if and when you need to, in the mean time it does no harm.